ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Older 37
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:14 pm
Posts: 21245
Location: Just South of Indiana Gun Club!
My DIL brought me her grandfathers Ithaca 37, about 3 weeks ago, SN 201990 which puts it manufactured in late 1948 as near as I can figure. Her dad gave it to her because he dislikes firearms totally, and she loves to shoot SC with me, and her hubby (my son), and she was very close to her grandfather who passed away 20 some years ago. She was almost in tears about the shape it was in. It has been laying in her fathers attic since 1970. I first took it completely apart, and cleaned 50 years of grime, dust, congealed oil and dirt, and the many wasp nests in the barrel, and action. Where the stock was laying on the rafters, the finish is completely gone, down to dry bare wood, I am going to strip what finish is left, and give it a nice hand rubbed oil finish. Amazingly after just cleaning it, the action is as slick as snot on a door knob. The bluing has held up remarkably well, zero rust, and it looks good, you would have never known by looking at it when I first got it. The recoil pad is really bad, cracked all over, dry rotted, and disintegrating when touched. I hope I can get one from Ithaca, I know it won't be original, but at least it would be an Ithaca pad. I kinda feel real good about bringing this old gun back to life, my and her goal is to have her shooting SC with it in the future. It is sad that her dad threw this fine gun up in the attic, and let it just lay there for 50 years. I have been working on it for a few weeks now, I bet if guns could speak, it would be thanking me for rescuing it, and restoring it to shooting condition.



cdb



_________________
NRA Life Member
CZ/Huglu Shooter..912, 912 Tom Knapp Edition, 920, Canvasback Deluxe, 452 FS, and Trek Domone SL 6 Disc Bicycle Rider
Remembering My Friend 2fewdaysafield. The Huglu Drifter, Have Huglu, Will Travel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Older 37
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:31 pm
Posts: 1482
Good for you and your DIL.If you go to Galazons website they have period correct Ithaca Sunbursts for $35.00 Much more fitting then the current black Limbsavers from Ohio Ithaca. What gauge is it? And may I say old neglected 37's respond very well to TLC.


Last edited by ohio mike on Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Older 37
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:14 pm
Posts: 21245
Location: Just South of Indiana Gun Club!
ohio mike wrote:
Good for you and your DIL.If you go to Galazons website they have period correct Ithaca Sunbursts for $35.00 Much more fitting then the current black Limbsavers from Ohio Ithaca. What gauge is it.


Thanks for the info, I will check them out.


It is a full choke 12 Ga



cdb

_________________
NRA Life Member
CZ/Huglu Shooter..912, 912 Tom Knapp Edition, 920, Canvasback Deluxe, 452 FS, and Trek Domone SL 6 Disc Bicycle Rider
Remembering My Friend 2fewdaysafield. The Huglu Drifter, Have Huglu, Will Travel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Older 37
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1295
Location: Ohio
Glad you can bring it back to life. I would not contact current Ithaca for a pad, they use a different style that would not be fitting for that era. Check for cracks where the stock meets the receiver, you can epoxy if needed.

_________________
Where's your gun made?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Older 37
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:14 pm
Posts: 21245
Location: Just South of Indiana Gun Club!
1977cutcher wrote:
Glad you can bring it back to life. I would not contact current Ithaca for a pad, they use a different style that would not be fitting for that era. Check for cracks where the stock meets the receiver, you can epoxy if needed.


Thanks, I will do that also.


cdb

_________________
NRA Life Member
CZ/Huglu Shooter..912, 912 Tom Knapp Edition, 920, Canvasback Deluxe, 452 FS, and Trek Domone SL 6 Disc Bicycle Rider
Remembering My Friend 2fewdaysafield. The Huglu Drifter, Have Huglu, Will Travel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Older 37
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:52 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:31 pm
Posts: 2034
Frank Vallone http://www.sycamorehilldesigns.com/

had a supply of new old stock (NOS) Ithaca pads and does a wonderful job of installation as does Les Hovencamp. I don't know if Les has any of the NOS ones.

Les Hovencamp https://diamondgunsmithing.com/

the actual refinish of the wood is easy to do yourself if you choose and is best done after a pad is installed. Ithaca stocks are just stained and then lacquered.

HOWEVER, since it is a 48 gun, it will be have a checkered stock. having someone refinish the stock and touch up the checkering (if you can't do that yourself) will really transform the gun.

There is lots of life left in the gun if you choose to have it restored (once again by someone, or a combination of you and someone).

It can be rescued and continue to be a family heirloom.

I see you mention a hand rubbed finish. I have done one of those to one of my Ithacas and to some expensive single shot rifles I have. They come out nice.

I would recommend that you take the stock off and inspect the mortice. A 12 point socket (I think 7/16) will fit over the square head stock bolt. A lot of times the old Ithacas had the stock relief mortice soaked with oil. I use different techniques to leach the oil out. It does a nicer job if you do that.

I have soaked the stocks in acetone (cover the container, it evaporates fast). Acetone will not soak into the wood, but will remove the finish and help leach out that oil. I have also made up concoctions of paint stripper and flour, ps and baby powder, etc and packed it into the mortice and as it leaches out the oil you see it turn colors. Depending, it could take a couple times.

Once again, well worth the time and effort as it will prolong the life of the stock.

_________________
drcook = David R, not Dr. but thanks for the compliment :). Most people just call me Dave


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Older 37
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:27 am
Posts: 3066
Location: North Central West Virginia
cdb1097 wrote:
My DIL brought me her grandfathers Ithaca 37, about 3 weeks ago, SN 201990 which puts it manufactured in late 1948 as near as I can figure. Her dad gave it to her because he dislikes firearms totally, and she loves to shoot SC with me, and her hubby (my son), and she was very close to her grandfather who passed away 20 some years ago. She was almost in tears about the shape it was in. It has been laying in her fathers attic since 1970. I first took it completely apart, and cleaned 50 years of grime, dust, congealed oil and dirt, and the many wasp nests in the barrel, and action. Where the stock was laying on the rafters, the finish is completely gone, down to dry bare wood, I am going to strip what finish is left, and give it a nice hand rubbed oil finish. Amazingly after just cleaning it, the action is as slick as snot on a door knob. The bluing has held up remarkably well, zero rust, and it looks good, you would have never known by looking at it when I first got it. The recoil pad is really bad, cracked all over, dry rotted, and disintegrating when touched. I hope I can get one from Ithaca, I know it won't be original, but at least it would be an Ithaca pad. I kinda feel real good about bringing this old gun back to life, my and her goal is to have her shooting SC with it in the future. It is sad that her dad threw this fine gun up in the attic, and let it just lay there for 50 years. I have been working on it for a few weeks now, I bet if guns could speak, it would be thanking me for rescuing it, and restoring it to shooting condition.



cdb


Here you go. I just put one of these on a 20 gauge Ithaca 37 and it looks pretty good.

https://connecticutshotgun.co/ithaca-sunburst-pad/

Attachment:
Sunburst Pad Ithaca 37-20 (480x640).jpg


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Older 37
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:23 pm 
Diamond Grade
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:45 pm
Posts: 1356
Location: Western New York
Halwg wrote:
cdb1097 wrote:



cdb


Here you go. I just put one of these on a 20 gauge Ithaca 37 and it looks pretty good.

https://connecticutshotgun.co/ithaca-sunburst-pad/

Attachment:
Sunburst Pad Ithaca 37-20 (480x640).jpg



Nice installation job, Halweg. Did you use a jig for the grinding?

I have a bunch of 37s in need of new pads, and I just picked up a Wheeler jig and a bunch of used pads to practice on. I'd welcome any insight or advice for the grinding and installation process.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Older 37
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:18 am 
Utility Grade
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:21 pm
Posts: 17
Location: VANCOUVER ISLAND B.C.
Good job, hope dil and yourself enjoy many a day on the field.
looks fine.....glenn




Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: apexclays, Bailey Boat, Bill M., Bing [Bot], birdhunter39, boray, Captdave221, cbradford, clays99, cole1, Curly N, cwtech, DblXX, Dek, Denver1911, dmdegood, drcook, DUKFVR, ebcjr, EricB, fiddlesticks, Flues16, Gadwall, glockky, gold40, goodemachine, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], gsxr1000, hardcast, hes, jbmich, jhorak, KRIEGHOFFK80, lt0026, Majestic-12 [Bot], maltzahn, Milkmaster, MNNavy, Mr_Mac, MRIDOC1, newstart2k, Old No7, oldthompson, Olympian Shooter, outdoorbum, oyeme, pops78, Rack-N-Roy, Rob02655, Rudolph31, RUT, saddlerocker, Setter Home, Shooter5878, smallieman, SMP190, snooky, Snotrub, Steeler [Crawler], Supermario, Win50, Xftrplt, zoro686


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group    - DMCA Notice