ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I am new and what is a good double?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

The Remington Hammerless Model of 1894 was available with Remington Steel and Ordnance Steel starting in 1897.
1898 catalog page courtesy of David Noreen

re: turn-of-the-century gun mount, please see
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c7U ... no/preview

Richard Baxter (1615-1691), Directions Against Covetousness
"Be more careful to use what you have, than to get more."

Kingsley Brown "Shoot more, shop less."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,
I agree there are guns with a lot of drop, however there are many with good modern dimensions also.
Keep looking for a gun that fits you correctly, do not settle for a gun that does not fit you well unless you intend to restock the gun. When talking about restocking a L.C. Smith double gun, this is going to cost some serious dollars. Choose wisely the American Classic double gun you want to own.

I agree the 1894 and 1900 Rem are nice guns and deserve more respect, most have decent modern dimensions and are great upland guns.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Hay Dave,
Are those other sidelock American doubles hammer guns? A good stock fitter/ stock man can do quite a lot with a stock much short of & cheaper than restocking.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:43 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it. When raising the gun to my shoulder I did close my eyes and then opened them when I had the gun in place. The barrel was pointing up and very out of place. That is why I passed on it. Although I would like to have it, there is no point in having a gun that I can't shoot without restocking it.

I did have a Remington 1900 about 20 years ago for a time. I liked it and shot it well, but a friend talked me out of it. I would love to get another one. I haven't seen any for sale so far where I know where to look.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:21 pm 
Utility Grade

I passed on the LC Smiths. I went to a gun show yesterday and found a Remington 1900 with 32" barrels. It is in pretty good shape. Someone added a recoil pad but didn't cut the stock. So I am looking for a Remington model 1900 butt plate. It had a broken firing pin so I was able to talk the guy down to $450. I made the firing pin yesterday and replaced it and got it back up and shooting this morning. I am still on the look out for another classic double. I also found a Beretta SxS. Not sure of the model but VERY beautiful. It was in a 28 ga. so I passed. I have read all the pluses of the 28 ga. but want to be able to buy shells off the shelf. So it is 12 or 20 ga. for me.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:37 pm 
Utility Grade

Nice job on finding a 1900. I was given my Great-granddad's 1894 Grade B Remington earlier this year. It has Damascus barrels and everything seems nice, yet old. Stock isn't cracked, no visible pitting. I would love to shoot some low brass target rounds but I would hate to damage the gun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

btc,

You definitely want to have a Master Gun Maker check out your Grandfathers classic American double gun before you do any shooting with it, make sure the Damascus barrels have not degraded and the wall thickness is still good. If there are dents in the barrels have them removed.

I also recommend and use RST shells in my L.C. Smith double guns, I like the RST & Poly SpredR's for Grouse & Woodcock hunting. Keep the FPS under 1200, to help self guard the old guns.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor