ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: Ejectors into Extractors-Citori, Cynergy & BT-99(w/pics)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:14 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi there, guys. Long time reader first time poster. I recently purchased a used 2018 725 Sporting 30" and decided to do this conversion today. I took a few photos because I read that many people were having trouble getting the forearm bracket and takedown lever out. I'm a lady shooter too, so if I can do it, you can as well. I used one Phillips head screwdriver and the shotgun mainspring tool from Brownells.

Take the three screws from the forearm.

I placed the fore end elevated on two rags. Then I took a wooden chopstick and tapped through the two empty screw holes in the forearm iron to remove the takedown lever.

Then turn the fore end over, with the empty slot where the takedown lever used to be facing you. You can see a small area where the iron is still attached through the takedown lever slot. Tap with a chopstick or wooden dowel in the two spots specified, and the iron will pop off.

Here's an image of one of the springs off and ready to replaced.

I ordered the Wolff Extra Extra Power springs, so they would pop out far enough I could grab the hulls with gloves. The SKU for these are as follows:
26172 COLT 1911/CMMDR XXP FIRING PIN SPRING Pak of 3 7.49
To search for these on the Wolff site, go to Semi-Auto Pistols > Colt > Firing Pin Springs

Yes, the fore end iron is a little difficult to get back on, but if you place a screwdriver upside down and give it a few quick taps it will re-seat. Hope this is helpful, especially for my sister shooters to know they can easily do this conversion as well!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:09 am 
Limited Edition

Excellent write up and pictures ShotgunPanda, thanks for taking the time. I purchased my first 725 a couple of years ago, a 20 ga gun and performed this modification almost immediately, I believe I used the standard power 1911 springs in that one. I recently bought a 12 ga 725 so doing this was on my short list, I ordered the extra, extra springs this time around to get some additional lift too.
The forend iron removal on the 20 ga was easy so I was surprised that the 12 ga gave me trouble. My removal method was very close to ShotgunPanda's, I used a metal punch driven by a nylon hammer. What I found after getting the iron out of the stock is that the bracket that holds the opposite end of the spring was epoxy or glass bedded into the forend. The iron was so tight going back in I was afraid the stock would crack so I took a Dremel tool to remove some of the bedding compound, that helped a lot and everything is still snug once reinstalled. Oddly enough I found the extra/extra springs were too long and would bottom out when cocking the gun so I cut several coils off, they still give more lift than the stock 1911 springs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:02 pm 
Utility Grade

I have one of the older Citoris with the slotted screws in the forearm. I went to make the change to the ejector springs today and ran in to an issue. The rear screw came out just fine, but the front screw wouldn't budge. I need to get the correct screwdriver size to use on it, but the link in the first post no longer works. In searching on different screwdrivers, I found this set at Brownell's. Does anyone know which size I need for these screws? I don't want to buy all 7. I would rather buy just one in the right size I need. Thanks in advance.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... d6739.aspx

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bought my B725 Sporting in 2016, shoot it nearly every weekend, but I've finally got around to order the springs during this pandemic period. The Wolff extra power springs took nearly a week to get here. Using the instructions here, swapped out the factory for the Wolff in less than 10 min. Couldn't have been easier! Why didn't I take the time to do this four years ago? Took me about 1/2 way around the skeet field yesterday to break myself from the habit of cupping my hand over the barrels to keep the empties from flying. My gun has always been stiff opening, even after four years of shooting, the extra power springs makes it just about "right" to break it open after firing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Sorry for the newby question, but is there any reason this wouldn't work on a 725 28gauge?

Browning Citori 725 Sporting 28g 32"
Browning Citori 725 Sporting 28g 30"
Browning Superposed 12g Mod/IC
Browning Superposed 20g SK/SK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:27 am 
Limited Edition

TPerk92 wrote:
Sorry for the newby question, but is there any reason this wouldn't work on a 725 28gauge?

No

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:13 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:10 pm 
Utility Grade

Finally got to this today.

Panda, your write up and pics were AWESOME. Thank you all.

Easy Breezy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Glad I found this write up as I recently sheared a extractor pin on my bottom ejector of my 725 when shooting one day. I decided once I fixed that I would rather extract then eject, so I ordered the Wolff extra power 1911 firing pin springs to replace my factory springs. I did find that I had to cut 1 or 2 coils of the Wolff springs as I couldn't quite compress them far enough (close, but not quite enough) to put everything back together. Works as advertised.

It's funny, I have a 325 Citori sporter with somewhere north of 60,000 rds thru it and i never had a problem with the ejectors nor any issues with the extractor pin??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:05 pm 
Limited Edition

I stopped by my LGS and walked out with a pair of new 1911 firing pin springs. The owner and I are friends so he eyeballed me and asked, "Ok, Mark. What are you up to now?" I described the mod and he thought it was one of the cooler ideas he'd heard in a long while.
Being an ardent reloader I found this simple mod to be extremely helpful and super easy!

Thanks to "rastoff" and others who contributed to this thread!

tp (finger plucker)

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

As Birdshooter noted, in the post just before T-Pees, I, too, had to cut a number of coils off to make the spring(s) work.

I wish that the "professional" gunsmith that I originally took the gun to would have made that observation.

When I got the gun home, and got ready to do the job myself, it was pretty obvious that the full length spring, when compressed, was longer than the available space.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:09 pm 
Limited Edition

I installed the 1911 springs as is. They work like they should. Used a couple of emptys for the testing. <shrug>

tp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

I guess the 1911 springs that I got were different! Good for you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:51 pm 
Limited Edition

richg99 wrote:
I guess the 1911 springs that I got were different! Good for you.

Reading the thread, some folks are using Wolfe extra powers and have to trim.
Meh. As long as you get where you're going, right?

tp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yep. The end result is what counts.

What was a surprise for me was, when I got my gun home, and away from the "professional"... was that the too-long springs were TOO LONG. It didn't take a genius to see that.

He tried TWICE to put the TOO LONG springs into the right spot. Each time, AMAZING!... the TOO LONG spring sprung across the room and it took a half hour to find them on his junk-filled table.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:57 am 
Limited Edition

I had to trim the Wilson Combat 1911 springs also.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:18 pm 
Field Grade

Just did the conversion on my 425 sporting 20 ga. I used the Wilson Combat springs and had to trim a couple coils off to get them to fit. Works perfectly. Now I just have to remember that I don't have to catch the shells anymore. Old habits I suppose

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:47 pm 
Field Grade

I just did this to my 725 and wanted to say thank you to everyone. I really had to use more force than I wanted to reinstall the iron into the wood. I'm notorious for breaking delicate items especially on these new cars with all the plastic connectors so needless to say this made me very nervous. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:03 am 
Tournament Grade

I made the changes and love it.

However, the shells were catching and not popping out very much.

I pulled the ejectors using the tiny screw that is accessed through the hole in the side of the ejector. I stoned the edges of the ejectors slightly, and replaced them carefully.

I think I removed a small burr. They worked better yesterday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16