ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Saturday and Labor Day shoots
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

After scouting a corn field crisscrossed with low residential powerlines, and getting permission to hunt from three generations in the landowners family tree, opening day arrived. In the field at 6:30 beside a pole, I bagged 8 doves by 8am. Monday however was better with two more hunters helping the cause at the same field. When I arrived they were already in place, one at the same pole I had used, so I set up at the end of a treelined point jutting out part way in the stubble. More doves came out than Saturday, and I finished with 12 at 8:30 and the other guy limited out beside that pole. Visited a different farm about 3pm where three of us sat along a 1/8th mile stretch of power line near a secondary road right of way with corn harvested just last week. Not once did I see a dove touch down in the corn, they all flew in from nearby shade trees preferring to pitch on the lines. One guy strung up two line doves and got the most shots. They left about 5pm but I stayed until 7pm bagging a few more and observing how many birds were using this field of about 25 acres. I have one more prime field to hunt once the corn is picked and I think these three spots will last thru the first leg of our season til October 10. Using an Ultralight 20 with AA 1oz 7 1/2 load.

Post subject: Re: Saturday and Labor Day shoots
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:49 am 
Crown Grade

Doves won't feed on standing corn or sunflowers. They will only feed on grain that is on the ground.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:26 am 
Tournament Grade

Doves will prowl the ground in a standing field at times, but this field was harvested, although my word choice implied it wasn't. After the gunfire they simply raced back to the trees.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Well, that wouldn't be the first time a bird made me a liar (or a coon dog). I believe it is safe to say they don't usually feed on the ears while they are on the stalk. I remember my first pheasant hunt in N. Dakota (not my first pheasant hunt). I was the only one in the party that had hunted pheasant before. I have hunted them in Washington State & California. I told everybody pheasants don't land in trees. Can you guess what the first birds we flushed did?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

geometric wrote:
Well, that wouldn't be the first time a bird made me a liar (or a coon dog). I believe it is safe to say they don't usually feed on the ears while they are on the stalk. I remember my first pheasant hunt in N. Dakota (not my first pheasant hunt). I was the only one in the party that had hunted pheasant before. I have hunted them in Washington State & California. I told everybody pheasants don't land in trees. Can you guess what the first birds we flushed did?

Lol, I have definitely seen pheasants land in tree's before. Never say never!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Our Labor Day shoot was a complete fiasco. About twenty guys showed up on a dairy, some with and some apparently without permission. One guy stopped and bragged about having killed three limits (losing about 20 birds in the weeds), several guys were drinking beer while they were shooting, we heard several unplugged guns rattle off 4-5 shots, didn’t see anyone picking up hulls or trying very hard to find downed birds, an so forth. We stayed well away from the action and wished the wardens would show up. No such luck.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

Sorry to hear about the 'fiasco' hunt, and the raucous bunch there. Many moons ago, spent shells lying around seemed inconsequential, but now it's hideous and disrespectful to leave hulls and litter. Good luck next time out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Had a good day on a public hunting area dove field Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hey Y'all. I've been too busy (with life/family stuff) to be around much, but finally getting to tune it a bit.

Anyway, our opener was Saturday, and despite the fairly strong cold front which moved through Friday, we had a good shoot. Interesting, though, because probably 80 percent of the birds killed were juveniles as opposed to a normal of probably 40 to 50 percent. We speculate that many of the mature birds moved with the weather, because bird numbers were considerably higher before the front.

Geo - I would have stated the same thing myself ("doves won't feed in standing...") a few years ago. But, last year our sunflowers didn't get cut, we had tons of birds, and they stripped the sunflowers by about the 3rd week of the season. There weren't many tweetie birds helping them out, either. (By the way, I've been reading about bird numbers in general being drastically low, and we don't have nearly as many as a few years ago. Worrisome.

This year, one of our fields is a grown-up-in-weeds wheat field, which is very good for a dove field. We didn't get it cut until late, and doves were dropping into it like crazy regardless. Even after it was cut, some doves were choosing the standing crop vs. the cut crop. "Beats all I ever seed" as one of my dad's carpenters used to say.

Sorry about your trouble, Ben. I probably would have called the wardens, but I understand why you might not. We had a small shoot Monday. One warden rode by and waved - stopped and chatted with one of our guys and said if we had a good shoot Saturday, we were the only ones around who did.

W

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:51 am 
Presentation Grade

I hunted a sunflower field that was strip mowed in between the bocks of standing sunflower stalks and saw that many dove (mourning and whitening) would perch on the seed head and feed with abandon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:41 pm 
Crown Grade

wjonessc wrote:
Hey Y'all. I've been too busy (with life/family stuff) to be around much, but finally getting to tune it a bit.

Anyway, our opener was Saturday, and despite the fairly strong cold front which moved through Friday, we had a good shoot. Interesting, though, because probably 80 percent of the birds killed were juveniles as opposed to a normal of probably 40 to 50 percent. We speculate that many of the mature birds moved with the weather, because bird numbers were considerably higher before the front.

Geo - I would have stated the same thing myself ("doves won't feed in standing...") a few years ago. But, last year our sunflowers didn't get cut, we had tons of birds, and they stripped the sunflowers by about the 3rd week of the season. There weren't many tweetie birds helping them out, either. (By the way, I've been reading about bird numbers in general being drastically low, and we don't have nearly as many as a few years ago. Worrisome.

This year, one of our fields is a grown-up-in-weeds wheat field, which is very good for a dove field. We didn't get it cut until late, and doves were dropping into it like crazy regardless. Even after it was cut, some doves were choosing the standing crop vs. the cut crop. "Beats all I ever seed" as one of my dad's carpenters used to say.

Sorry about your trouble, Ben. I probably would have called the wardens, but I understand why you might not. We had a small shoot Monday. One warden rode by and waved - stopped and chatted with one of our guys and said if we had a good shoot Saturday, we were the only ones around who did.

W

Hello, Wayne; it’s very nice to see you posting again and to hear that you are having some good shooting. My better self wanted to call the wardens but my practical self was reluctant. I’m sure some of the guys are friends of my host and blowing the whistle didn’t seem like a great way to repay his hospitality. A warden lives fairly close by and it’s likely he’ll check the fields tomorrow when some of them will probably be back. Bad karma has a way of catching up with all of us. I hunted alone this morning, enjoyed a beautiful sunrise, shot a limit from a slow but steady flight, watched my young Brittany coming into her own, and also took a few feral pigeons. That’s a lot to be thankful for. I hope the rest of your season is as enjoyable. Stay safe.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Our early season ended quietly. After the third week the birds became scarce, mostly after some wet days and bluster arrived. Four to five doves became the norm. I did add a Canada and two crows late in Sept. Some corn is still being harvested, and soybean fields will be a factor later.