ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 28 gauge non toxic loads for pheasant?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:06 pm 
Field Grade

I have a Ruger Red Label 28 gauge I love, but since a preserve nearby I used to frequent mostly for training one dog or another closed up, I haven't used it. Just can't get over leaving the 12 gauge behind when I'm out after wild birds. There is another preserve up in MN I started going to last year to get my dog a head start and we made some overnight trips up there just because it was fun - took one of my daughters and my wife on different trips.

I'm thinking of taking the 28 along and using it on a quick hunt just to see how it performs - the kicker is the preserve is non toxic shot only and I just can't convince myself there are any non toxic loads out there that would be effective, and sure never stumble on any that look promising at any gun shops.

Has anyone had any experience with non toxic shot for pheasants in 28 gauge and if so, what worked (if anything) and what didn't? Hunting a preserve over my setter if that context helps any, and nice, strong roosters, for the most part. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: 28 gauge non toxic loads for pheasant?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:32 am 
Tournament Grade

Kent Bismuth Upland and Hevi Shot has 28 gauge in Bismuth, Steel and Tungsten. If you have had no problems bagging pheasants with lead shot in your 28, you won’t have any problem with these loads if you keep your shots within a reasonable range hunting over a pointing dog. I also have a Ruger in 28 gauge.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:55 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
If you are hunting over a good pointing dog, I'd suggest the 28 ga Kent Bismuth Upland load in 7/8 oz #6 shot. Years ago Federal used to load a 28 ga 7/8 oz field load (lead) that I killed many pheasants with over a pointing dog and liked it very much. I'm still pissed at them for discontinuing it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:11 am 
Utility Grade

So many of the reserves are opting to be non-tox shot only. I love pheasant hunting with sub-gauge shotguns as well as waterfowl hunting. I have fallen in love with the Hevishot family of shotgun shell offerings. I find that I able to cleanly take birds with fewer shots when I use Hevishot. When I use my 28 gauge to pheasant hunt I use the Hevishot Hevi-Bismuth 2 3/4 4's. I can take virtually ANY flushing pheasant that the 12 gauge guys can. It's due the Hevi-Bismuth density and the energy they hit with downrange.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:40 am 
Presentation Grade

UplandHunter44,

I agree the Hevi-Bismuth shells in a 28 gauge gun make all the difference, have used them from time to time with great success. Inside 35 yards they take Pheasants with authority. However in my 12 gauge L.C. Smith #5 gun they take both Pheasant and Ducks out past 40 yards very nicely. Hard hitting shells that get the job done, no matter the gauge gun being used. Be prepared to get out your wallet, they are not cheap.

RST is now building 2 1/2" Bismuth shells for the Classic American and German Best double guns.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor