ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: First SD Pheasant Trip - What to Expect/What is Needed
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

My last trip to SD was in 2016, we always hunt just south of Pierre near the Missouri River. I prefer an O/U on upland game but I have taken an Auto along as well at times. Carry plenty of water and be prepared to walk, a lot! I also recommend chaps or brush pants like the others suggested. I can't add much else to what has already been said but I think the most important thing is to be mindful of the dogs, aka muzzle control at all times.

I don't like gloves while hunting (reduced dexterity), I am definitely in the 'hand warmers in the pocket' camp. If it's really cold I'll throw a thin glove on my support hand. We hope to return to SoDak next October for pheasant, it has been too long.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:16 pm 
Field Grade

If you really want to score some points show up with a Winchester model 12, 28 inch barrel modified choke. You can find pretty good buys on Model 12's on the gunbroker type sites. If you think you need gloves try black disposable neoprene in moderate weather. Break in any new boats before you go.
11/4 oz fives or sixes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:15 am 
Utility Grade

Hi all,

Following up on my original post. Like most things this year, COVID19 threw our plans in the air, but we were able to adjust and still make the trip happen. We leave tomorrow. Thank you to everyone who provided feedback. I appreciate the suggestions and tips. Weather looks great. I can't wait. Its going to be a great time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:25 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
So, what will you be shooting??