ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shotgun fit!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

I may have posted something like this before, but here goes:
We talk about shotgun fit, but, IMHO, with American skeet, when we shoulder the gun, we can make it fit! We can, and do, snuggle into the gun, line up the sights in a figure 8 and call for the bird! If this is so, then what, in American skeet, is the point of getting a shotgun "fitted"?
It seems that we are becoming very equipment oriented eg. which gun is best... etc. and, shotgun fitting seems to be rare and potentially expensive.
Now, for International skeet, or even for hunting, when the gun is not shouldered, I can see fitting being supremely important, especially on the occasions I have tried International skeet, even without the delay! The gun is just not even close to being "lined up"!
I would love to try a "try gun" just to see what the results of a custom fitted gun feel like, but I can shoot 25 straight with my plastic stocked Remington 1100 in 20 ga. that I bought perhaps 10 years ago at Wally World for less than $200 as I recollect!
So, in one sense I am fairly happy with my shooting, which right now is shouldered gun, American skeet, but shooting International target presentations ie. doubles at 3, 4 and 5. I understand that I don't know what I am missing, but how do I find out? Ergosign and TSK stocks are pretty expensive!
Peter

Post subject: Re: Shotgun fit!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:52 pm 
Crown Grade

If you’re shooting the gun you have, to your satisfaction, at the game you prefer.......I wouldn’t suggest changing a thing, except buying more ammo so you can shoot more targets.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Wow, that was quick! You are, of course, absolutely correct, but I also shoot the sub gauges with O/U tubed or 4 barrel sets. Having said that, the key to my question is that i don't know what I am missing! Ideally I would like to have a try gun fitting and see what the difference is between what I am shooting and what I "should" be shooting! What does a try gun fitting cost?
Thanks, Peter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Not sure, mine came with purchases......

I’d say one of the biggest factors is shooting comfort, and as you correctly assumed, it makes more of a difference in low gun games.

All depends on on what you’re trying to accomplish, and how much you’re willing to spend, depending on making a few changes vs whole hog custom stock.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

OP, you are describing a situation peculiar to yourself and extrapolating to all shooters. That is probably a flawed notion. It has nothing to do with pre-mounting or not. It has only to do with how you are most comfortable when your gun is mounted so that your eye is where you want it over the rib. If you want to crawl the gun to get there, and the gun allows or even requires that, all well and good. But if you want a different posture than the gun allows when you are properly over the rib, well, then not so much. Briefly put, fitting a gun sets it up for you to like your position when the gun is properly mounted.

By your thesis you might have to mount every gun you own differently to get your eye right on each one. That can’t be correct. Fit the gun to you, not you to the gun.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hmmmm. Being brand new at this, I haven't had any of my three/four guns fit as of yet. The first three seemed OK. An inexpensive Yildiz 20 gauge O/U (starter gun); a Remington 870 Trap pump, followed by a Remington V3 Semi. Note, no expensive guns in the lot, which worked for me. All three seemed OK out of the box.

Then, I upgraded a bit and bought a new Browning Citori CX. What a difference in feel and maybe "fit". The first time I held it up to my eye, my eye lined up perfectly down the 60/40 rib. I couldn't believe how much more "fit" it seemed. I love it.

So, no professional "fit" but perhaps I got lucky with my choice.

I, too, would love to go somewhere and try a "fitting gun". I'd like to have the measurements so that I could compare them to the guns I already own, and have them at the ready for any future purchases.

One would think that some guy/company would make up a "fitting gun" with total flexibility for making the measurements. They could rent them out for $40.00/$50.00 a pop and I, for one, would gladly pay the price to see what I, too, have been missing.

Of course, in my newness and my naivete, I probably don't understand ...what I don't understand. That is OK. That is how I learn things.

Good thread.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:35 pm 
Field Grade

If you're just shooting for fun, you can get by satisfactorily without having your gun fit.

For competitive (registered) skeet, where every target matters, gun fit -- that is, setting your gun up so that you have a comfortable, natural head position when the gun is mounted -- is important.

Once you get above B class in skeet, there's little margin for error, so anything you can do that makes your routine automatic and reproducible is good.

The goal of fitting the gun to you (as opposed to contorting yourself to fit the gun) is to eliminate one variable from your routine.

Last edited by hoppes-no9 on Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the clarification. At age nearly 81, and having started all of this 9 months ago...I won't be worrying about major competition.

I agree that, as one gets further involved, more technical adjustments/fit/choices would be necessary. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:45 pm 
Field Grade

richg99 wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. At age nearly 81, and having started all of this 9 months ago...I won't be worrying about major competition.

I agree that, as one gets further involved, more technical adjustments/fit/choices would be necessary. Thank you.

Awesome! I hope I'm still shooting at 81!! enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:47 pm 
Limited Edition

richg99 wrote:
...Then, I upgraded a bit and bought a new Browning Citori CX. What a difference in feel and maybe "fit". The first time I held it up to my eye, my eye lined up perfectly down the 60/40 rib. I couldn't believe how much more "fit" it seemed. I love it.

So, no professional "fit" but perhaps I got lucky with my choice....

I'm 5'9" 200#. Kinda average guy and my CX fits beautifully especially with an adjustable comb. I used four 1/16" shims and the gun shoots right where I want it with the bird just fully visible above the rib. Pull up, swing, bang, hit. Gotta love it!

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting 2 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, I think I have answered my own question, at least to my satisfaction! I found a couple of laser boresighters in 12 and 20 ga. shouldered the gun and sighted down the barrel at a fixed "target" about 15 paces away, inserted the boresighter, sighted down the barrel and there was the red dot right above the barrel! I am going to try it outside at about 23 yards, and, if I can see the dot, and, if it still looks good, I am going to call it good. I tried both boresighters on several guns, including my CSMS SxS 20ga. with the same result ! Red dot right above the beads, center of rib. Also did it with a couple of semi autos in 12 and 20 ga.
I understand that the gun may not pattern to the exact point of the red dot, and that the same may not be true of the other barrel sets (28ga. and 410) but I certainly have a lot more confidence in the 12 and 20's that I have tried it on.
Peter