ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Found 1K older Rio G-600 209 primers...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

I did some searching and found a good bit of Hodgdon data. Did anyone ever find any Alliant data? I can buy some Hodgdon powder if I need to, but it would be nice to find other data.

I e-mailed Rio but judging by things I read in my searching, I don't expect to hear from them....

Post subject: Re: Found 1K older Rio G-600 209 primers...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:52 pm 
Crown Grade

desmobob wrote:
I did some searching and found a good bit of Hodgdon data. Did anyone ever find any Alliant data? I can buy some Hodgdon powder if I need to, but it would be nice to find other data.

I e-mailed Rio but judging by things I read in my searching, I don't expect to hear from them....

These are great primers, - they are basically all I use! I have over 20K of them.

It's not hard to figure out a primer swap for using Rio primers. Basic rule of thumb is to treat it as a Federal 209A primer, even though it's not as hot as a Fed 209A.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Same as g1000 ?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

cookoff013 wrote:
Same as g1000 ?

Earlier version, I believe. Hodgdon used to list the G600 in their loading data. Now, they list the G1000. I never compared the data to see if it was the same...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Rio/Maxium advertises their G1000 primer as being identical to the G600, except with tighter Quality Control standards now.

One other note, the Rio (G600/G1000) primers are oversized, and will open up the primer pockets in your hulls such that you won't be able to (reliability) put a regular (W209) primer back into that hull.

But that's not a big deal. In a new, once-fired Remington Gun Clubs, they are will be a bit harder to insert, and will 'pop/crunch' a bit the first time. Not an overly big deal either...

Find some Rio/Fiocchi/other Euro hulls to reload with them - they'll work great for ya !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

I know they're a little big, so I'll use them in hulls near the end of their lifespan and in my semi-autos; hulls that will end up in the trash.

I was looking for printed data as the Rio primers have earned a reputation for sometimes producing some unexpected very high pressures. If I do any substitution, it will be in light loads. I'll probably just pick up some Hodgdon powder so I can use documented loads.

Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:43 am 
Crown Grade

desmobob wrote:
I was looking for printed data as the Rio primers have earned a reputation for sometimes producing some unexpected very high pressures.

Where are you getting this "reputation" information from ?

That has never been my experience in all the years using them, and in loads that I had tested.

As I said, the hottest primer out there is the Federal 209A, and so if just just use Fed 209A primer data, you will always be under pressure with as Rio G600/G1000 primer.

You can read about that in this thread from 2012 :

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=293189

If you are squeamish, then don't use them, and give them away.

I wouldn't "buy new powder" just for Rio primers, - that's silly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:28 am 
Diamond Grade

Republican wrote:
desmobob wrote:
I was looking for printed data as the Rio primers have earned a reputation for sometimes producing some unexpected very high pressures.

Where are you getting this "reputation" information from ?

I don't want to wade back through all the Internet searching I did, but that statement was based on a couple of things I read that included test results in at least one of the cases. There was information on the primer being designed for use with hard-to-ignite European single-base powders that had low-temperature ignition issues, or something like that, and that it might not behave as expected with other powders.

Anyway, what I took away from it all was that the G-600 could (and did) produce some unexpected results --unusual and high pressure spikes-- in some instances.

I'm not too worried about it to not use them; I'd just prefer to have known data. If that means me buying a few pounds of a different powder, no big deal... I reload for many pistol, rifle and shotshell calibers/gauges, so adding one more powder to the shelf just adds more load possibilities. I like that.