ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Max pressure in LUPs?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:53 am 
Crown Grade

Amen to what Dogchaser said, a PSI is a PSI & a LUP is a LUP. they are different units. Cookoff, Yea, it is fine to ignore LUP data, if you have other data. Bar & gram are metric units for which there is a conversion to psi. Everything in the metric system, at least originally, was based on a cubic centimeter of water at standard state. It has since been updated to more precise standards. The English system? It is a stretch to call it a system. Mostly it is a collection of unrelated oddball units. I am sure you know that better than me. I once worked for a professor of structural engineering that taught at a military college. He would go into a coma if anybody mentioned the metric system. Nobody likes to change what they are accustomed to doing!
BTW, good show oldthompson!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
Max pressure with the lead crusher was 10,500 lead units of pressure. For 12 ga. 2 3/4" & 3" loads.

ty. Perhaps the 10,500 figure explains the reluctance to pressure over 10,000 by of some reloaders that started reloading in the LUP era.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:14 pm 
Crown Grade

They didnt publish figures much. Just tables and charges

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:31 pm 
Crown Grade

cookoff013 wrote:
They didnt publish figures much. Just tables and charges

Yep.i still got the load chart that came with my 12ga. Lee Load All II which I paid $29.99 for brand new. Pretty simple chart. It does not even list powder charges by weight, just bushing number. Gotta flip the page over for what a bushing is "supposed" to drop. Just skimming over it looks like the general rule of thumb is move up a bushing from plastic hulls when using paper hulls or plastic with paper base wads. It's just one sheet, and there some hefty loads listed, including 2-3/4" 1-1/2oz. -not recommended for plastic base wad hulls- .134 bushing of HS-6 which works out to 30.8 grains according to the Lee tables.

Yet no wad is specified, so why bother listing pressure?

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:02 pm 
Crown Grade

oldthompson wrote:

In that case then drams of black powder equivalent is not obsolete either. It is just arcane.

My Lee Load All Data Chart indicates that 29 grains of Herco with 1-1/4oz shot is a 3-3/4 Dram Equivalent load. For you kids that means it'll be tough to get a follow up shot when using that one.