Shotgun Forum banner

Some of the earliest M-37 serial numbers

4K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  ithacaskbfan 
#1 ·
As I am preparing to send all my Ithaca records to the McCracken Library, I looked through a ledger marked "Consignment Guns." It was interesting to note that a standard grade M-37 with serial number 15 (along with a 37T-sn 103, and 2 37S-sns 101 & 105). Previously to today I thought M-37 serial not. started at 100--I was wrong. The guns were sent to Phip Bekeart 2/9/37 and marked as samples.
Also a week later, 2/17/37, he was sent 2 M-37s with serial not. 20 and 18. Also marked was samples.
Thought this may be of interest to we who follow the M-37 history.

#2 ·
Thanks for that Walt.It's great that your sharing with the library,however many on here are going to miss your prompt research and replies.I'm sure I speak for all when I say your help has always been deeply appreciated. What a great time for a second printing of your book! {hs#

#3 ·
Walt, Thats pretty cool information. Is it safe to assume that serial numbered guns below 100 may have been samples Ithaca sent out to dealers across the country? I also wonder if any of these low numbered guns have survived. What a treasure hunt to seek out and find one of those guns!

#4 ·
Interesting to know, Walt. Thank you.

I know that sending the records to Cody is the best thing to do but I, too, will really miss being able to ask you. Earlier this summer I finally found an as-new copy of your Ithaca Featherlight Repeater book (that I could afford) and have been enjoying it immensely. I know that a 2nd edition of it or a 3rd edition of The Ithaca Gun Co. are not to be but accept our thanks for the long years of research (actually probably decades) that resulted in the gathering and preserving of these three volumes for us. I have a fairly large library but only these three reside in my safe.

As John Houchins said some years ago in the DGJ regarding the big 5 American double gun makers, "...probably the best values of all dollar for dollar, the Smith and Livermore families' great Ithacas, "The Guns from Fall Creek".

No argument with that here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.