ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thoughts on this recipe
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:57 pm 
Utility Grade

A person at our club offered this recipe to me with win primers. For now I'm using it for 16yrd trap, 5 stand and sporting. But loading is still new to me but I likely will refine recipes for each scenario including handicap loads.

Remington GC hulls
Cheddite cx2000 primer
Green Dot 19gn
CB 4100-12b wad
1oz #8 west coast shot

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this recipe
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:15 pm 
Field Grade

Why not just use Alliant's published data?

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/ ... 3&gauge=12

Nothing there for Cheddites though. Use them if you want. I don't want.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:24 pm 
Utility Grade

v35 wrote:
Why not just use Alliant's published data?

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/ ... 3&gauge=12

Nothing there for Cheddites though. Use them if you want. I don't want.

It's based on claybusters load data for the 4100-12b but substituting the cheddite primer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

No Cheddites for me. My guns have piercing problems. I've had to change the firing pins in my trap gun.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:26 pm 
Crown Grade

That 19gr. Green Dot with one ounce shot should be about a 2-3/4 Dram Equivelent load according to my Lee Load All II loading chart circa 1990. Probably around 1150fps, pressure untold. According to this chart 20.4gr. Green Dot would provide a three Dram Equivelent load, probably about 1220fps. I'm not familiar with the wad you are using but so long as it is appropriate to the hull and shot charge these powder charges should be safe.

After all, it's published data.

Edit-here is one thread about the primers you plan to use.-

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 3&t=439382

Last edited by oldthompson on Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:36 pm 
Crown Grade

That's a bad load in my opinion.

Green dot is primarily a 1-1/8th propellant for 12-gauge.

Green dot is dirty as it is, and now you are using it in a 1-ounce application with the lowest pressure producing wad known to man. Hopefully you are shooting these in an auto.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:34 pm 
Field Grade

Republican is right. Why use 19 gn of powder when you could use 15 gn Extra-Lite — which also happens to be specifically designed for light loads. Not only will it burn cleaner, it will save you about 20¢ a box.

Cheddites... went through two whole sleeves and there won't be a third. They'd save about 10¢ a box. Not worth it.

Any meaningful cost savings will be in shot.

And if you have to change a firing pin... there go all the savings.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:17 pm 
Limited Edition

Cheddite primers have eaten bottom firing pin tips in my Browning Citori CXS and my 2 shooting buddies' Browning 725s (one each).

No more Cheddite primers for any of us!

Now, for your load with the Lightning wad (CB4100). I've shot a few cases of the Lightnings for Sporting Clays in my 12 gauge O/U (cited above). It's OK. I like the patterns a little better with the CB8100 (Tgt12 clone) wad, though. And, yes, Green Dot is a little slow for your application (1200 FPS, 1 ounce). Red Dot or IMR Red at about 17.5 grains would be a wonderful load, using a Win 209 primer.

Good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

I shoot that same load in Cheddite [estate white box] hulls [with Rio primers] and love it.
modified choke in my SKB, and low recoil,,, all day long

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:58 am 
Crown Grade

That load is anemic. Can you use GD? Sure. But you can load other powders more economically. Try Red Dot, Clays,700X, Clay Dot or e3. The Cheddite is interchangeable at those levels. You are a very long way from max pressure. I use 17.5 grains of 700X and get about 1225 fps.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:01 am 
Utility Grade

lt0026 wrote:
That load is anemic. Can you use GD? Sure. But you can load other powders more economically. Try Red Dot, Clays,700X, Clay Dot or e3. The Cheddite is interchangeable at those levels. You are a very long way from max pressure. I use 17.5 grains of 700X and get about 1225 fps.

Thank you. I'm total new to this. Some of the comments I've received have sounded more that condescending. I appreciate constructive feedback with rationales.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

682Shooter wrote:
lt0026 wrote:

Thank you. I'm total new to this. Some of the comments I've received have sounded more that condescending. I appreciate constructive feedback with rationales.
I read through the comments twice and I didn't see anything I would characterize as "condescending," let alone "more tha[n] condescending." But then again, maybe I have thicker skin. When I ask for opinions from strangers, I generally don't look a gift horse the mouth. I also thought most all the posts offered more than sufficient rationale for the opinions. And, I agree with Republican's comment, he was spot on (except for the quip about using an autoloader).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:05 pm 
Limited Edition

The cheddite primers and Browning o/u shotguns do not get along but if you shoot a beretta or some other gun you may be ok. The Green dot powder is a bit slow burning for 1oz loads unless you load 1300fps loads. and as for the CB4100 wads they are a low pressure wad and you may get bloopers in cold weather.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Cheddites are fine in all of my non Browning guns. Never ever had a problem

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:54 pm 
Utility Grade

shotgun red 52 wrote:
The cheddite primers and Browning o/u shotguns do not get along but if you shoot a beretta or some other gun you may be ok. The Green dot powder is a bit slow burning for 1oz loads unless you load 1300fps loads. and as for the CB4100 wads they are a low pressure wad and you may get bloopers in cold weather.

Thanks for the knowledge and wisdom! I really appreciate everyone's help.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

maybe some anemic [shrug] but broken birds and dead Doves are broken birds and dead Doves.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

Use same load, but substitute American select for the green dot.
It depends on what velocity you want to achieve, and use the appropriate powder.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:53 am 
Crown Grade

fiver wrote:
maybe some anemic [shrug] but broken birds and dead Doves are broken birds and dead Doves.

I believe in using the best tool I can find for the job. That's not the case for Green Dot in most 1 oz loads. Mediocre performance at a higher cost isn't my idea of a good load.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you want high velocity ( 1300 FPS or greater), then it’s a pretty good powder

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:25 pm 
Crown Grade

682Shooter wrote:
lt0026 wrote:

One of the rare moments (it seems) that I agree entirely with Republican.

While the load WILL WORK, "work" is not the same as "work well".

You will have the best reliability, the most consistency, and the least leftover ash ("dirtiness"), if you use powders and loads that get near the top pressure limits of the cartridge you are working with.

Pretty much for 1-ounce in a 12-gauge that would be E3, Extra-Light, or a hot Red Dot load for the most part (or any other similar powders).

To get the pressure up there with Green Dot, you will have to use A LOT of it, and velocity will get up there, probably beyond where you want (or need) it.