Shotgun Forum banner

1100 Classic Trap General

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Virginian 
#1 ·
Hello Shotgun Emporium,

I just picked up a Remington 1100 Classic Trap on Gunbroker. Confirmed through Remington (via serial#) it was made in August 2010. Pictures look really good and description says it is in excellent condition.

1. In one picture, there looks to be some scratches to the finish on the forend (see attached image). Obviously not sure how deep they are until I actually get the gun, but assuming they are not down to the wood, do you have any suggestions on hi-gloss polish repair? Is Birchwood Casey my best bet?

2. On another note, I of course intend this gun to be my dedicated trap gun. However, every now and then I like to dabble in skeet. Given the Monte Carlo stock which typically allows the gun to shoot high for trap, if I were to put an adjustable buttplate on the back, would lowering the buttpad also lower the point of impact making it suitable as a skeet gun?

3. Do all 1100 Classic Traps have a shell deflector built in? I am hesitant to get a Birchwood Casey shell catcher because I dont want to cover up the beautiful scroll work on the receiver. Sounds silly, I know, but I find those things tacky looking...wish they came out with a blued version, then maybe I would consider it.

Any other thoughts, suggestions, experiences would be great! Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't see any scratches. If you do get a surface scratch, automotive scratch remover is the way to go.
You would do better to get a second buttstock. A buttplate will not change the Monte Carlo cheek pad.
Should have a deflector pin. A black rubber band around the receiver always worked for me when I shot trap with any of my 1100s.

#3 ·
Virginian said:
I don't see any scratches. If you do get a surface scratch, automotive scratch remover is the way to go.
You would do better to get a second buttstock. A buttplate will not change the Monte Carlo cheek pad.
Should have a deflector pin. A black rubber band around the receiver always worked for me when I shot trap with any of my 1100s.
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps its just the glare of the hi-gloss, but the top corner of the forend looks pretty scratched up. Hopefully I am wrong!

I suppose trap is what I will stick to considering its a trap gun. I could see the Monte Carlo stock really throwing my skeet game out of wack.

#6 ·
HotGreasyBore said:
Virginian said:
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps its just the glare of the hi-gloss, but the top corner of the forend looks pretty scratched up. Hopefully I am wrong!

I suppose trap is what I will stick to considering its a trap gun. I could see the Monte Carlo stock really throwing my skeet game out of wack.
I agree with Virginian. Just get another stock and you'll have no trouble using it for skeet. Takes about two minutes to swap stocks.

#11 ·
My Remington 1100 Classic Trap finally came in. I got really lucky with this one, the gun looks like it has never been fired. No dings/knicks in the wood, bluing is like new, and the inside of the receiver/bolt have zero burn/carbon marks at all. I am extremely happy.

I emailed Remington who said this gun was made in 2010 which was very surprising to me. I am convinced this thing has sat in a safe for the last 10 years.

I am curious: mechanically speaking, do you think an 1100 CT made in 2010 that has essentially never been fired would last as long as a brand new one made in 2020? From what I can tell, all of the parts seem exactly the same, down to the engravings. I havent read about any material change or update to these guns, but I could be wrong.

Attachments

#13 ·
A Monte Carlo buttstock on a shotgun, except for trap, bothers me.
A trap 1100 made in 1970, or 2010, should outlive your grandchildren with decent care. Should be good for something over 200,000 rounds. You may need a part or two along the way, but they are readily available. I believe the only thing they have changed of any significance is that they went to an 11-87 size extractor on all competition 1100s, but I am not sure on that.

#14 ·
Took the 1100CT out for the first time yesterday. Having never shot with a Monte Carlo stock, I can tell it definitely will take some getting used to. I also noticed its a pretty heavy gun, but that just might be because I am used to lighter field and skeet guns.

I did have quite a few failure to ejects happen when shooting doubles. Out of 50 rounds, I probably had 10 FTEs. To be fair, I made the mistake of not taking apart the gun and cleaning/oiling it prior to shooting...so it probably had not been cleaned/oiled in 10 years. Once I got home, I gave it a deep clean. I also noticed the O-ring seemed a little loose, so I ordered a few more. Hopefully this will solve the issue. However there were a couple times when it seemed like the shell got caught on the shell deflector...Has anyone had issues with this before? Seems like its something that could be shaved down a little if needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.