ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester Heavy Duck Factory pad vs Modern Pad?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi All,

I have a Heavy Duck that was chopped and fitted with chokes, and then matte blued. It is a good job, and covers the mild surface pitting on the receiver. Still extremely functional.

It has a factory Winchester recoil pad on it, but is slightly mushroomed from age and sitting on the pad.

I haven't had time to test it at the range, and may not for another month or two [life, work, family, california fires, etc].

I realize the collector's value is gone- this is simply a great shotgun now, but not a collectible.

So, my question is: How do the original factory recoil pads compare to something like a Decelerator?

I am wondering if I just keep it as is, since the pad says 'Winchester', try to source a Galazan one [heard they were harder recoiling than factory from 50s] or get something new like a Pachmyr Trap or Decelerator.

What are your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Winchester Heavy Duck Factory pad vs Modern Pad?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:13 am 
Tournament Grade

Haven't tried these guys yet, but they look promising....

https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/pro ... hp?cat=298

If the stock on your 12 hasn't been cut, I've been told that an Old English Decelerator pad has a plate in it that's tough to grind and bend to fit the radius of the butt. I do like the look of them though and have them on several guns.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:38 am 
Limited Edition

Check out this reproduction pad:

https://pre64win.com/products/reproduction-winchester-recoil-pad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:22 am 
Crown Grade

Since there no longer is any need to preserve originality; I would go with the most effective at reducing recoil. Some of the options you have received are very good ones but I will suggest you also look at Limbsaver Pads.

I think the Limbsaver Pads are some of the best at minimizing the recoil sensation. They make a Classic Precision fit one to fit your gun. You can determine that via their template guide. The guide indicates the Winchester Heavy Duck uses their 10112 pad. I have had excellent luck with their Precision Fit pads fitting appropriately without any grinding.

The LS pads are not at all like the originals so if you prefer original looking, then ignore my suggestion. Good luck!

https://limbsaver.com/collections/recoi ... recoil-pad

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1999/ ... 1596473102

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:49 am 
Tournament Grade

I don't have a lot of experience with various recoil pads, but on my recent acquisition of my Super X 1, it came with a decent recoil pad already installed.

It reads terminator on the back of the pad and I believe it is the model in this link --> https://100straight-com.3dcartstores.co ... r_c_1.html

It is very soft and seems to have good "bounce" to it. I am very pleased with it thus far. I can shoot 100 sporting clays and not feel any fatigue. Just another option.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

If you want reduced felt recoil get rid of the original Winchester pad and don't think about the reproduction pad either.
The Limbsaver pads do a great job and I have been using and installing them for years, always with an improvement.
Recently microcell pads from Italy are showing very good results also.
If you go to the Gunsmithing and restoration section find the discusion and testing of pads in the "recoil pad wormhole" item were pads are tested and it can be seen that the Limbsaver and microcell pads are superior.

CT