ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roll Crimper
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Made a roll crimper which works well. All the crimpers I've seen for sale have pins at the bottom of the cavity. What do they accomplish? Seems to work well without them

Post subject: Re: Roll Crimper
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:43 pm 
Crown Grade

This was rolled on an antique hand toolImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:52 am 
Diamond Grade

I make roll crispers, pretty simple. Not all have pins most hand crank ones don’t nor the lymans. Ones with pins work fine also.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:59 am 
Crown Grade

Over the years I've had 5 or 6 old hand crank roll crimpers and all of them have had four pins. BPI sells one for a drill, which I have, and it has one pin. Precision Reloading also sells the one for a drill and it has two pins. What do they do - I have no idea . I think they help in rolling the shell over after it's started with the outside curve of the tool. I think it's a three stage operation. The outside curve, the pin, and the finish curve on the inside. Some old advertising showed you could order a crimper to do a flat top or rounded one. I'm not sure how this was done. There are guys who collect old reloading equipment and maybe one of them will enlighten the rest of us.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:56 pm 
Crown Grade

bladesmith wrote:
Over the years I've had 5 or 6 old hand crank roll crimpers and all of them have had four pins. BPI sells one for a drill, which I have, and it has one pin. Precision Reloading also sells the one for a drill and it has two pins. What do they do - I have no idea . I think they help in rolling the shell over after it's started with the outside curve of the tool. I think it's a three stage operation. The outside curve, the pin, and the finish curve on the inside. Some old advertising showed you could order a crimper to do a flat top or rounded one. I'm not sure how this was done. There are guys who collect old reloading equipment and maybe one of them will enlighten the rest of us.

I have an antique 12ga roll crimping tool that will do both regular and flattops. It has a head that reverses by removing a pin. I don’t know the reason for flattop crimps but evidently someone wanted them

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:59 pm 
Field Grade

Turkinator wrote:
This was rolled on an antique hand toolImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish my rolls looked that good.

I have several different crimping tools, most utilize a drill press, but I have had vintage hand cranks also. They never look that good. They always twist sideways creating small folds that spiral around the shell's mouth. Fast, slow, doesn't seem to matter.

Brent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:21 pm 
Crown Grade

That is a fine looking roll crimp. Mine look like that with a drill press style roll crimper, but only if all the fold crimp is cut off.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:49 pm 
Field Grade

bladesmith wrote:
That is a fine looking roll crimp. Mine look like that with a drill press style roll crimper, but only if all the fold crimp is cut off.

What sort rpms are you running your drill press at? I seem to do a little better at slower speeds (~600 rpm) and make the crip in a relatively quick fashion, but my crimps don't look like that 20 gauge. I wish they did.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:58 pm 
Crown Grade

I use a vintage hand crank.
The best finish ever.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:02 pm 
Field Grade

cookoff013 wrote:
I use a vintage hand crank.
The best finish ever.

Do you hold your tongue a certain way when you do it? Must be some trick. My hand cranked crimps are not even close to that good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:03 pm 
Crown Grade

http://www.acant.org.au/Articles/George ... atent.html

I bought this for a tenner, the market stall didnt know what it did? Punches holes in doughnuts?

I swear, gives an awsome finish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:12 pm 
Field Grade

My old vintage hand crank did okay most of the time. It was similar if not identical to yours. Eventually it broke the lever that holds the shell into the crimp cup, so I took the cup off and fixed it to mount in a drill press where it does less well, and not as good at the BPI or PR made version that I use most of the time. I would like to find another, but they have disappeared from gunshows around here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:17 pm 

Goldens Always wrote:
My old vintage hand crank did okay most of the time. It was similar if not identical to yours. Eventually it broke the lever that holds the shell into the crimp cup, so I took the cup off and fixed it to mount in a drill press where it does less well, and not as good at the BPI or PR made version that I use most of the time. I would like to find another, but they have disappeared from gunshows around here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-HANDLO ... SwQ~VfY2U1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SHOTGU ... SwmNtfYW2G

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SHOTGU ... SwmNtfYW2G

More here:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... r&_sacat=0

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Goldens Always wrote:

A tip for the antique roll crimping tools. A little oil on a qtip wiping the outside of the portion of the hull to roll will really make a difference. Also You don’t need to put a lot of pressure on the handle.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:43 am 
Field Grade

I recently acquired a 1917 Winchester Model 97 that has a 2 1/2" chamber. With current circumstances it has been impossible to find ammunition or some of the components for making the 2 1/2" shells. I have had the modern tools and components back ordered for a while. Then I read this thread and was inspired to acquire an antique roll crimper to speed my project up. As I love antiques this was not a hard jump.

I made a jig out of pvc pipe to make a cutting guide for the hulls to length. I hand cut the overshot cards. I found an antique roll crimper. It arrived yesterday. I cleaned it up, oiled it and gave it a try. It did a fair job.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:32 am 
Crown Grade

I like the old hand crank ones for fun, only. If you're doing a 100 or 200 for a shoot, cranking that handle gets old in a hurry. I find the drill press models much easier on 75 year old hands and wrist. No one can tell the difference.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:26 pm 
Field Grade

stogie25, those are looking pretty good.

I'm loading 540 grs of Bismuth in 12 gauge and roll crimping with a vintage crimp die adapted to my drill press. I find the process is much easier with a clamp made to hold the shell and I build a crude one that works very well. What do you guys that use your drill press do?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:04 am 
Diamond Grade

I made a clamp out of wood like a nut cracker. To 1”x1”x8” long with a hinge. Drilled out a hole with them clamped together that was slightly larger than the hull. I then lined the hole with inner tube rubber for grip. Works very well no slipping.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:40 am 
Crown Grade

The secret to a good roll crimper tool, is it needs bumps to warm up the edge of the hulls, so they heat fold inwards, isntead of trying to pressure fold them inwards isntead. If the surface if flush, the tool will absorb the heat, and the lip of hull never gets heated up instead/

Some tools use the pins to have the needed raised areas to create the heat to the hull edge on the tool spin, while other tools have the raised section at part of the surface isntead.

So bottom line, is tool need to apply light forces straight down, so as the hull edge of the heats up from the friction of the bumps on the tool, it going to cause the hull edge to melt roll inwards. If you are using a smooth surface tool, and/or trying to use too much pressure to roll the crimps inwards with the lip of hull not hot enough, your crimps are to end up total bollocked.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:14 am 
Crown Grade

Damn, that Lyman tool looks really great. Too bad they don't still make em. But then what would the demand be for such a tool other than a couple of us old nuts.