Shotgun Forum banner

best powder for 1 oz skeet loads

19K views 78 replies 48 participants last post by  llc 
#1 ·
Would like some opinions and recipes that people prefer for their 1 oz loads. Using Remington hulls

#54 ·
Have to agree with Mark and I also have a 4 month old pup..and I am thinking the pup will have me trained about the time it quits the whining.
Sort of seems about 17 grains of anything will work with about any wad, primer, shot weight or hull. Get Lymans #5, read it and have fun.......... Larry

#55 ·
I am a shooter first and reloader second. When I find something that is published, breaks targets and is economical that's my main concern. I enjoy shooting more than reloading. I load 700X because it's always available at a good price and goes bang. I don't spend time micromanaging the reloading process. Rather be shooting. YMMV.

#56 ·
Agree w/it0016, but there was a time when 700X wasn't readily available years back, when Promo was first introduced, so went that direction for many 8# canisters and got a very satisfactory result at a great price. If you are concerned about ash/residue in the bbl. after firing & some folks are ,E3 is among the cleaner burning powders.

Today, I am seeing no real difference in price for 8#'s of Promo vs. 8#'s of 700X, so will be shifting back to 700X as soon as this last canister of Promo I have on hand is consumed. Performance is similar w/either in the light [24gram~28gram/1oz.] loads, but you will use a bit less 700X to get them in the 1150~1200 fps velocity range.

Do recommend that you shoot some patterns on a grease plate w/whatever you decide to use, published recipe wise. As cookoff says, some of them will likely pattern tighter than you would expect at those velocity levels. Bunker shooters came to that same conclusion as well. OTOH, if you want ink spots when practicing gun pointing for skeet, they could be just the ticket.

#57 ·
I know this particular thread is over a year old but it's been informative.

I'm getting back into skeet after a 20 year hiatus. I have shells that were loaded back then that I'm using now (had about 6 cases of loaded shells left over). They are loaded as follows:

Winchester AA (non-HS)
Cheddite 209
Titewad powder (I am unable to remember the actual loading as the loader is long gone; I think it was 18gr.)
WAA12SL
1oz #9

The gun I shoot is slightly tricked (lengthened forcing cones and ported). I say this because that gun is LOUD. Perhaps that is due to others I shoot with use 20 or 28 gauge guns. The recoil is there, but not nearly like a 1-1/8 oz load. I once used 700-X but switched at some point to Titewad.

However, since I'm back into it, I've considered changing the load to a 7/8 oz. The recipe I've settled on is:

Winchester AA or Rem STS
Cheddite 209 (still have 3/4 of a brick)
Titewad 17 gr
WAA12L
7/8oz #9.

I think this will lighten the recoil a small bit and not drop too many birds...although I'm still shaking off the rust. I've only managed to get to the range twice with my new gun. On the 3rd round of my second visit, I ran an "unorthodox" 25. Unorthodox as the first bird of the #6 and #7 double broke up and hit the incoming second bird. I broke a single incoming but I really do not count that as a true 25. The next round tendered a 23. As I said, smoothing things out.

#58 ·
Schooly D said:
I know this particular thread is over a year old but it's been informative.

I'm getting back into skeet after a 20 year hiatus. I have shells that were loaded back then that I'm using now (had about 6 cases of loaded shells left over). They are loaded as follows:

Winchester AA (non-HS)
Cheddite 209
Titewad powder (I am unable to remember the actual loading as the loader is long gone; I think it was 18gr.)
WAA12SL
1oz #9

The gun I shoot is slightly tricked (lengthened forcing cones and ported). I say this because that gun is LOUD. Perhaps that is due to others I shoot with use 20 or 28 gauge guns. The recoil is there, but not nearly like a 1-1/8 oz load. I once used 700-X but switched at some point to Titewad.

However, since I'm back into it, I've considered changing the load to a 7/8 oz. The recipe I've settled on is:

Winchester AA or Rem STS
Cheddite 209 (still have 3/4 of a brick)
Titewad 17 gr
WAA12L
7/8oz #9.

I think this will lighten the recoil a small bit and not drop too many birds...although I'm still shaking off the rust. I've only managed to get to the range twice with my new gun. On the 3rd round of my second visit, I ran an "unorthodox" 25. Unorthodox as the first bird of the #6 and #7 double broke up and hit the incoming second bird. I broke a single incoming but I really do not count that as a true 25. The next round tendered a 23. As I said, smoothing things out.
When you run out of Titewad, you should seriously consider Alliant Extra-Lite for 7/8 or even 3/4 if you try that load as well. It works well.

#63 ·
I suspect "best" could also be gauged by longevity.... Dug through some old loading books, Lyman #1, #2 and a couple Winchester and found at a brief glance that PB, Red Dot and Green Dot been here forever..... must mean something. Also noticed that in spite of all the "new and improved" seen on containers load data is basically the same from then till now...... Larry

#64 ·
Gonna get hated for this but really, it doesn't matter which hull, primer, powder, wad (for the most part) that you use.

The important part is that you find a consistent load that works in any temperature and you use the best quality shot you can find.

You are not going to kill one more bird or break one more target because you used any certain powder.

#65 ·
I load 12 ga: 7/8 oz and 1 oz with Clays and appropriate components and I am completely satisfied.

#66 ·
You are right on track Mark,
I load for a friend, very good shooter and seldom below 23 from 16.... I load 1oz for him, Vectan AS,
FIO primers.... As I mess with combinations and loading I often end up with a couple "left overs" from the press..... gave him a box of "left overs". 1oz, 1 1/8oz, Windjammer, WAA12, figure 8 etc. Winchester, Federal and FIO primers.... Fed, AAHS, AACF, Nitro27 and GC.
A real "Dukes Mixture" of stuff except for powder and velocity.
24 straight, last bird kept on going...... He had also borrowed a friends newly acquired BT99.....with a really, really light trigger... called for last bird and tripped trigger at same time.....
Strange things happen. Larry

#67 ·
Cheap, available, no-hassle mail order Vectan GM3 at $122.15/keg equivalent delivered TO YOUR DOOR:

Be nuts to pass up a deal like that ...

And there's plenty of load data in various payload weights, and hulls too :

Or if you didn't want 8.8 Lbs of the stuff, maybe go with 4/4 Lbs for $78.

Or better yet, mix up your order, get a free bottles of GM3, a few bottles of 206V (*specTACTULAR 1-oz powder), and a few bottles of A1.

You will not be disappointed with the Vectans!

#72 ·
llc said:
I suspect "best" could also be gauged by longevity.... Dug through some old loading books, Lyman #1, #2 and a couple Winchester and found at a brief glance that PB, Red Dot and Green Dot been here forever..... must mean something. Also noticed that in spite of all the "new and improved" seen on containers load data is basically the same from then till now...... Larry
PB was a great powder but when they discontinued it, I didn't bother to stock up on it. OTOH, I snapped up what I could find of SR7625 and a little SR4756.

#75 ·
in spite of all the "new and improved" seen on containers load data is basically the same from then till now......
Manufacturers HAVE to hold powder performance constant over the years, even if they make improvements on "cleaner" or "temperature consistency" or other secondary characteristics, so that old loading data is still safe with new powder. Not surprising, in fact, it's extremely useful, and wise on their part.

Good luck, garrisonjoe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.