Shotgun Forum banner

Put my mind at ease on shot load

7K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  StanofKansas 
#1 ·
I have discovered that Rem Gun Clubs feel real to my shoulder (in a dove field).... I bought some for my son to shoot skeet, trap and SC for his school team. I'm slowing him down from the Rios and Clever (1250 FPS). Am I wrong to do this? He seems to hit skeet better with 1250 FPS but might have just been the wind conditions. He really doesn't notice much. He just shoots what I give him and I worried about technical stuff. Opinions?

Jed

#5 ·
For skeet if you can find some 1 oz 9 shot that would be ideal. You for sure don't need anything over 1200 for that.

On trap is he just shooting singles? If so, 8 shot, 1 oz or 1/1/8 at around 1200 fps is just fine.

If he is shooting HC, what yardage?

#6 ·
He may not notice it now but over time it could have an effect on him

Buy a few flats of 1 ounce shells. Try the 1200 or so for skeet and maybe a little faster for trap and see if his scores change appreciably. My guess is that results will be similar but the shooting will be way more comfortable.

#7 ·
Jed--get your son some 1 oz 1200's and be done w/ it. Why subject your son to recoil?

Learn to shoot where you don't have to spray and pray.

#9 ·
Agree, 1 oz #8's at 1200 to 1250 with sk chokes and he will be good to go! Will be way easier on his shoulder, and you will notice he has more stamina and likely won't fade in the middle of his 3rd round like he possibly might now ;)

#10 ·
Interesting to hear what everyone is shooting. I'm just getting started. Actually going out for what will be my second lesson this weekend. Yesterday, I picked up a couple flats of Federal #8 1-1/8oz 1145fps

I'm told that is not going to beat me up, although I've probably got enough fat and muscle to absorb the recoil.

#12 ·
Vette Jockey2 said:
I agree with the other fellows recommendation to reduce payload and velocity. So much so, that I bought a single barrel carrier set so I would NEVER be tempted to shoot 12 gauge.
Does Single Barrel bourbon count?

(Sorry, signed onto work computer at 7:30 AM and just signed off a few minutes ago...)

Then again, when it comes to JACK -- I do like a bigger payload!

Old No7

#14 ·
When it comes to youth shooters, they seem to like high power loads. I think they are looking for some advantage over their friends and other competitors. They are competitive as older shooters and more emotional. We have a lot of youth shooters from high school to college level at our local club. they shoot skeet, trap and occasional 5 stand. We offer youth shooters 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 and 1oz promo loads. Without guidance from parents or coaches they will always choose the biggest power loads available. Even the small framed shooters. So...I believe it is emotion and looking for advantage. They will take a beating from a poorly fit stock or hot loads and not complain for that perceived advantage.

My biggest frustration as a learned stock fitter.

Maltz

#15 ·
For recoil reduction I agree, 1 oz at around 1200 is more than sufficient and will not bruise his shoulder.

I typically shoot 1-1/8 oz loads at around 1150 even for sporting clays and have never had problems hitting longer targets. To be honest the increased velocity for me has never made a huge difference in range, only in recoil.

Is he shooting an O/U or semi? Semis will provide less recoil as well.

#18 ·
To the OP; good advice here. Lower and Slower is better. Understand that comfort leads to scores. I've done this test with young shooters several times and the results are universal. 4 boxes of hot 1.125 and 4 boxes of slow 1, and the slow will beat the fast EVERY time. Difference comes in the 4th box. For starting out, 1 oz, #8 at around 1200 will kill ANY target you can imagine.

#19 ·
pintailwizard said:
For starting out, 1 oz, #8 at around 1200 will kill ANY target you can imagine.
I agree with this 100%.

Just this afternoon I was breaking 60 yard crossers with similar loads from a LM choke. I'm not really sold on the idea that you have to have 1350 FPS to "begin competitive shooting" that seems to be the big ol' jive about things nowadays.

#20 ·
Anyone that has patterned 1 oz loads, IM choke at 40 yards would wonder how they would hit any target on edge without wholesale luck. 60 yards with one oz is an over zealous claim. Especially shooting Walmart promo loads with crap shot inside. They were made for marketing not for performance.

Shot starts dropping after exiting from your barrel from gravity effect. At 60 yards the gravity drop is 4 to 6 inches using standard 1200 FPS loads and have not figured drop at 60 yards with 980 FPS loads, but it would be near a full pattern low.

You will never become the shooter you would like to be without understanding your equipment choices and have complete confidence in them.

Maltz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.