ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta 694 worth the money?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:33 pm 
Utility Grade

I have been swayed by all the positive reviews of the new Beretta 694. I have also read the appropriate threads here. It has been hard to justify $4K for this shotgun. This will be a large expenditure for me. I look at Browning 725 Sporting with adjustable combs or 725 PRO Sports for less. I see used CG Summits with that great warranty and customer service for less.

In an ideal world, I would shoot a round of clays with each to decide. This is not possible, so I hope you gentlemen will grace me with yet another 694 discussion.

Post subject: Re: Beretta 694 worth the money?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

IMO Yes but it's for you to make the final decision on what you want to spend your money on :) Enjoy which ever gun you bring home :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:27 am 
Diamond Grade

I traded in my 725 sporting for a 694 .

The 694 came with a nice case . No case with 725 (at least When I bought mine)

The 694 feels heavier weighs more. So it should have less recoil . But I don’t think I see a difference.

The 725 had ported barrels the 694 does not . Lots of people don’t like porting . Didn’t bother me.

My 694 came with true to size chokes my 725 did not . I replaced the 725 chokes with after market. I like the chokes on the 694 .

I think the 694 is made better (heavier built) but nothing wrong with the 725 .
Can’t say I shoot one better then the other .
Me if you can afford the 694 get it . But the Browning is a nice gun and less money .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a lefty I bought few months ago-not for me. Your probably not a lefty, but if you are I will cut a great deal.
I just shoot my auto(400) better

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:54 pm 
Field Grade

I can concur that the chokes supplied with my Browning Citori 625 were horrible. I patterned them and the IC shot tighter than the Mod. I counted pellets just to be clear.

I'm looking at the 694 as well. I shot a Blaser F-16 today that was also nice. I shot a friends 725 Sporting today as well. It was heavier but somehow recoiled more. Everyone perceives recoil differently so take that for what it's worth. And the 725 seemed to fit better. Go figure.... I have also read and heard about the 725 having trigger and firing pin issues. I have not shot the 694, only handled one at my local gun shop. I'd love to be able to shoot one before making such a large purchase.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:27 pm 
Crown Grade

For the money you will spend for a new 694, you might find (or at least come close to) a nice clean used DT10. If you can find one, that would be my choice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:46 am 
Crown Grade

Johnnyhonda440 wrote:
I can concur that the chokes supplied with my Browning Citori 625 were horrible. I patterned them and the IC shot tighter than the Mod. I counted pellets just to be clear.

I'm looking at the 694 as well. I shot a Blaser F-16 today that was also nice. I shot a friends 725 Sporting today as well. It was heavier but somehow recoiled more. Everyone perceives recoil differently so take that for what it's worth. And the 725 seemed to fit better. Go figure.... I have also read and heard about the 725 having trigger and firing pin issues. I have not shot the 694, only handled one at my local gun shop. I'd love to be able to shoot one before making such a large purchase.

The factory 625 chokes are excellent. The same can’t be said for the 725. Different manufacturers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

I love my 694, have been shooting 682's for a long time so Im a little Berettafied..

Beretta 682 Sporting 30"
Beretta 694 Sporting 30"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:41 am 
Presentation Grade

694 has good handling, nice palm swell, good weight, properly balanced.

Browning 725 will at some point need firing pins, and or the stock could crack.....been seeing more and more and more of them getting posted up on some of the facebook shooting groups. Not saying all 725's have bad stocks and will crack, but firing pins are a given. A few of my buddies own 725's and they all have replaced the firing pins and springs, some at 3,000 rounds, others at 50,000 plus, so there's no rhyme or reason as to when they are going to fail.

It's your money, but I wouldn't even consider a Browning 725 when looking at a 694 compared to it.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

IMHO get a 686 sporting or.... a used DT11.

DL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:01 am 
Crown Grade

A CG Summit will have a slightly higher comb and therefore fit a little differently, but IMO it's a better sporting clays gun than any current Beretta below the level of the DT11. And it's not just me as a several very good competitors I know have switched to CG. 2 from Krieghoff Parcours, 1 from DT 10 Fitasc and 1 from Perazzi MX2000s.

Berettas, even DT11s, are becoming something of a rarity at sporting competitions in my neck of the woods.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:39 am 
Crown Grade

Trickster wrote:
A CG Summit will have a slightly higher comb and therefore fit a little differently, but IMO it's a better sporting clays gun than any current Beretta below the level of the DT11. And it's not just me as a several very good competitors I know have switched to CG. 2 from Krieghoff Parcours, 1 from DT 10 Fitasc and 1 from Perazzi MX2000s.

Berettas, even DT11s, are becoming something of a rarity at sporting competitions in my neck of the woods.

I guess it depends on what neck of the woods you are in. I see the opposite in mine. We own a Summit Sporting. In that price range, I would never buy another one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:51 am 
Crown Grade

I'm only referring to registered sporting shooters, and all but 1 of the people referred to have won tournaments recently with their new guns. And I've just remembered another friend who switched from a regular K80 to an Invictus about a year ago.

One guy, a good friend and ex Parcours owner, said "I don't care if it doesn't last for 50 years. I'm hitting more targets and winning with it!"

I haven't been to any clubs or mixed with casual shooters for at least 5 years so I can't speak for what's popular with the greater mass of shooters.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:54 am 
Crown Grade

I think there probably is a regional effect.

Locally, talking entry-level o/u and registered shooters (casual observation, not systematic count) the most frequently seen manufacturer is Browning/Miroku. Beretta are distant second. Autos are a different matter; in that category Beretta are first by a bunch.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Trickster wrote:
I'm only referring to registered sporting shooters, and all but 1 of the people referred to have won tournaments recently with their new guns. And I've just remembered another friend who switched from a regular K80 to an Invictus about a year ago.

One guy, a good friend and ex Parcours owner, said "I don't care if it doesn't last for 50 years. I'm hitting more targets and winning with it!"

I haven't been to any clubs or mixed with casual shooters for at least 5 years so I can't speak for what's popular with the greater mass of shooters.

The air must be pretty thin at the lofty levels where you hang out. Of course, I was speaking of registered shooters as well. Like I said, different neighborhoods.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:54 pm 
Crown Grade

drawdc wrote:
The air must be pretty thin at the lofty levels where you hang out.
England is a fairly small country and in my region virtually everyone knows everyone. The top shots round here are anything but snooty and don't exist at a "lofty level".

I can't help the fact that your Summit didn't meet your expectations but keep in mind that I wasted a fair amount of money on Berettas that had a selection of annoying issues from out of round bores, mis labelled chokes, variable trigger pulls, loose dowel pins in the receiver, unfinished woodwork, misaligned locking bolt and all round poor attention to quality.

OTOH My CG has been a revelation in terms of build quality, fit & finish, accessories, ballistic performance and all round handling. Beretta would need to do a lot better than the 694 to get my attention.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

OP, why not start out by telling us how much you feel it is sensible for you to spend?