ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester model 42 market
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:58 am 
Tournament Grade

Are model 42's selling very well in the market right now? I have a early model 42 skeet grade(pre-war) with a cylinder choke(tough to find) and 28" plain barrel. The gun is in 99%+ condition and one of the best 42's that I have owned. Love the 20 lines checkering and early blue on the pre-war guns. Sold all my 42's awhile back but kept this gun and a NIB field grade. What would the gun be worth in todays market?

Post subject: Re: Winchester model 42 market
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:36 pm 
Crown Grade

WWW.gunsinternational.com can give you some insight; they have a subsection for Win 42s.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

What is it WORTH or what will it SELL for ?
2 different things .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Larry Sidner is currently offering his fabulous collection of several hundred guns; some rare. When such sales occur, they can sometimes depress or overwhelm the market.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Oldman1949 wrote:
What is it WORTH or what will it SELL for ?
2 different things .

Not really; it is worth exactly what someone will willingly pay to buy it, no more, no less.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

About 5 years ago I bought a pristine 1947 vintage 28 inch CYL field model on the GB site for $2K. Still have it. Previous to that I saw a really clean S/R field 28 inch CYL draw no bids when started at $4K. Don't know what it eventually sold for. 28 inch CYL guns are rare, to be sure, and a skeet model even more so, I would think, but it would bring more with a solid (S/R) rib. If you want to sell it, list it at what you'd like to get out of it and anything it brings above that is gravy. My guess (!!!) would be somewhere in the high 2's to low 3's. Of course, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, as previously stated, but weird things can happen. I saw a very clean 20 gauge 28 inch model 12 Field 20 gauge MOD gun on the GB site sell for $3700.00 a few years ago. Go figure.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:07 am 
Tournament Grade

map17 wrote:
About 5 years ago I bought a pristine 1947 vintage 28 inch CYL field model on the GB site for $2K. Still have it. Previous to that I saw a really clean S/R field 28 inch CYL draw no bids when started at $4K. Don't know what it eventually sold for. 28 inch CYL guns are rare, to be sure, and a skeet model even more so, I would think, but it would bring more with a solid (S/R) rib. If you want to sell it, list it at what you'd like to get out of it and anything it brings above that is gravy. My guess (!!!) would be somewhere in the high 2's to low 3's. Of course, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, as previously stated, but weird things can happen. I saw a very clean 20 gauge 28 inch model 12 Field 20 gauge MOD gun on the GB site sell for $3700.00 a few years ago. Go figure.

I was thinking more like $4500+. I sold a skeet pre-war(first year) for over $4000 that wasn't quite as nice as this gun. The pre-war cylinder bore-skeet grade guns are much tougher to find-especially in mint condition. Also-most early pre-war 42's don't have solid ribs as they weren't offered until late the first year from what I have read.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think $4500 is closer to the mark

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:26 pm 
Limited Edition

And don't forget that us older guys THAT LIKE SUCH STUFF.......Are getting fewer and fewer each year.
Young guys want blastomatics.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

I hope you get $4500 and then some, to put towards the next one!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

map17 wrote:
I hope you get $4500 and then some, to put towards the next one!

Thanks! I have sold off most of my Winchester collection now and moved into vintage Doubles and find that its more expensive than my Winchester habit!