ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca Waterfowl Sight
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

My 37 is by far my favorite choice of guns that I own. While I don't use it as often as my V3, I would not sell it for anything. With that said, it has one big flaw for me and that is the fiber optic sight. It is too fragile.

I am now on my second one as they keep getting loose and when all the way tight, it is off set. So it has to be a little loose to get it aligned which causes it to move during hunts. I am sure it is from case damage getting it in and out but not really sure how to get around that. I do not want to glue it into place in case it breaks and I need to replace it again.

My question is, are there any aftermarket options, or anything from Ithaca that would work and match the threads? It does not need to be fiber optic but would like something sturdier that I don't have to twist back in place when a flock comes into the decoys.

I could probably just take it off but I have never really hunted without a bead so that may be what I need to do.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Ithaca Waterfowl Sight
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

Maybe a drop of solder on the bottom of the shank? That could make it so you can’t tighten past parallel, then a drop of BLUE Loctite to keep it tight but not permanent.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:04 am 
Diamond Grade

I like Bradley white beads. You can also go with a brass bead 6/48 thread. I've got a 1954 RD with a brass bead I did in red,looks pretty neat.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

EricB wrote:
Maybe a drop of solder on the bottom of the shank? That could make it so you can’t tighten past parallel, then a drop of BLUE Loctite to keep it tight but not permanent.

This, unless you wan to change to a non-original bead.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:52 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I am going to try the brass bead and just ordered one from Brownells. If that doesn't work, I will go with the Loctite route.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

The new bead came in and now I have a really dumb question. How do I get it tight, just with my fingers? I don't want it to work loose but I am not sure if I should use pliers or not.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:59 pm 
Crown Grade

You tighten it with a pin vise and I would still use blue loctite.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

^^^YUP^^^