ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: .410 on Turkeys
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

I read some place not long ago that Remington chambers a 870 in .410 chambered for a special designed .410 to hunt Turkeys. By inference I assume it could be used on ducks.
I never read any follow ups on this experiment and trials in the field.
Can such loads be fired in .410’s already on the market before Remington brought out this special .410?
Can someone here explain about the effectiveness and viability of this project in the field?
I find it a kind of Interesting

Post subject: Re: .410 on Turkeys
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Are you talking about TSS (tungsten super shot)? Lots of manufacturers now of ammo and guns have .410s designed for turkeys. I believe if your shotgun is steel safe it’s safe for TSS (not 100% sure on that so do your own research)
https://www.federalpremium.com/shotshel ... 19F+9.html
Here’s federal load I don’t see why you couldn’t use it for ducks but 30 bucks for 5 shells I wouldn’t.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:23 pm 
Limited Edition

Did you google Remington .410 Turkey?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:18 am 
Field Grade

I have a Mossberg 500 410ga TSS Turkey gun on order. But I am using it as my squirrel gun. Screw in choke comes with TSS Turkey choke.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes, I do think they must be talking about TSS but lead will work if you get close enough. I think the problem with TSS on ducks would be that you are shooting a very small, tight pattern. Most people have trouble hitting one with a 30" pattern. Also, heavy guns work better at long range for more reasons than just because they usually shoot heavier loads. They commonly have much better follow through! The more weight you get in motion, the more it tends to stay in motion. I understand TSS is devastating on long range snows but I have a hard time visualizing a TSS load that would work for both 60+ yard snows & 30 yd. mallards. Years ago, some of the hot shot pros at the game farms owned by Winchester & Remington liked to show off & kill decoying geese with a .410 shooting lead 7.5 shot but they were shooting them in the head at under 25 yds.!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:20 pm 
Utility Grade

The whole sub gauge craze seems to be very popular. I have been shooting migrating ducks
with a 20 gauge consistently the last few years as well as turkeys. I will only use a quality
shotgun shell when doing it though. For the ducks, I use HeviShot Hevi X 20 gauge 3" 2's or 4's depending on the hunting conditions. For turkeys, it has been the Magnum Blends but this spring I am going to use the new Hevi 18 TSS Turkey. I plan to ASK my wife for a .410 for Christmas to turkey hunt with as well and will use the Hevi 18 in the .410. I think the lower gauge needs the best shell you can get to level the playing field so to speak.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:40 am 
Field Grade

I bought a mossy oak mossberg 500 410 TSS Turkey gun. It shot very good for a 410. But mine only came with a TSS Turkey choke. I looked around and bought a full modified IC and skeet chokes for it. It has fiber front bead. It make a good squirrel gun. It dont weight alot to carry around. After I bought mine. I fount a very nice used one for sell. Just my luck. I run across some federal TSS #7 and #9 Turkey loads. But going to try different brands before season gets here. I am going to have the foring cone done on it. Plus buy a Keith Andersen or Rob Roberts custom Turkey choke for it.