ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savage Model 79 12G disassembly
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:40 am 
Utility Grade

Hi All,

I'm a Newbee to the Forum and this is my first post. I have just bought a Savage Model 79 pump and want to disassemble it. I can't find anything on the internet and have searched here too, the problem is the search doesn't like "79" and there are over 2,000 hits on "Savage model" (79 ignored).

Can anyone guide me on disassembly - as I want to check the action parts as well as restore the woodwork - I want to shoot this gun for a good few years.

Thanks in anticipation,
Gordon

Post subject: Re: Savage Model 79 12G disassembly
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW, Gordon ! ! {hs#

Here's a disassembly guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uql_5H7s-8

I hope this exploded parts diagram can further help you.

And a parts listing: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/category/m ... s-sav/79-2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:45 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi Criscokid,

Many thanks, that diagram and parts list will really help. The video is great for basics. I wonder if the action is shared by other models as is often the case in manufacturing, if so do you know of any other models that would share the trigger group or bolt assembly?

Regards,
Gordon from England

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:55 pm 
Crown Grade

IDK for sure, but IMO Savage would not bother to make different parts for various "models" of the same pattern action.

Remember, Savage has always been about producing as many whatever guns they can, as inexpensively as possible.

You can compare your bolt & trigger group to online pics of the various Savage/Stevens pump guns.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:20 am 
Diamond Grade

Gordon

Now there is a gun from the past - I had one as my first shotgun in about 1984 - It was cheap and worn out - if you pulled the forend back before you shot the bolt came away slightly from cartridge so click.
I soon got rid of it and never found out how to take it apart - went posh and bought a Win 1400.

Hope you have some luck but the only problem now is getting spares sent over here.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:42 am 
Utility Grade

Hi Dave,

I am lucky I guess, this one is fine and I am currently restoring it to better than its former glory. Admittedly hours of work but I enjoy working on guns and this one will rise from the scruffy-zone. The very blank pale furniture is now walnut patterned and True-Oiled awaiting finest wire wool finishing then polishing.

I have stripped the old bluing from the action/mag and will re-blue the mag then colour case harden the action. Then I'll cut off the choke and shoot .690 round ball with black powder through it. Oh yes, I'll rechequer it too.

So it will get a new life but will never see a pigeon or rabbit again.

I've got a mate in the States and a spares source so hopefully I can keep it running for a good while.

Regards,
Gordon

ps, I've stripped it down and got the trigger group and bolt etc out - with a bit of mechanical experience it is fairly logical to separate all the parts.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:24 am 
Diamond Grade

Keep up the good work - a picture would be nice

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:13 pm 
Crown Grade

GordonBH,

The same basic assembly/disassembly steps for the Savage Model 30 also apply to several other Savage/Stevens pump action models including your model 79.

The Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly Part V: Shotguns, has an illustrated ten page section on the Model 30 and its clones.

All the best,

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:27 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks guys,

I've finished the 79, and gave up on the color case hardening, too muddy so ended up polishing the action. I've hand stained the woodwork with American Walnut and Jacobean Oak, it was previously a pale tan with no grain. Barrelt left untouched and mag blued with Phillips - that stuff acts fast and give a nice black.

I'll shoot some clays this week and if my firearms variation application goes well I'll be cutting off 4" to remove the choke so I can shoot .690 round ball in black powder. Lovely clattering action, big bangs and lots of smoke.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi guys,

Took the 79 to the range and found every 8 or so shells wouldn't extract. The bolt flew back but left the shell in the barrel. On close examination the extractor appears to be slightly bent outwards. Also the edge that contacts the hull base is very sharp and slightly bevelled so I suspect that on the pump action it is riding over the rim and leaving the shell in the barrel.

I'd like to get the extractor out to work on it and check the spring but can't see how it is removed. I know there is the plunger that pushes on the extractor and is in the bolt with a spring pushing on it. I am guessing I need to push in the extractor against the spring and plunger and then it may come out of the bolt sideways?

Can anyone tell me how to get the extractor out?

Regards,
Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If it is like a typical American pump or auto, the depress the plunger with a small tool.
Rock the extractor out while the plunger is depressed. It takes a little wiggling, but it will come.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Also, my book says that has dual extractors. The left one just tips out, once you remove the bolt.
Check them both.

jim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:26 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks Jim,

I have them out now, wow that right hand extractor has a strong spring! It was slightly bent and the business edge was bevelled, all sorted now and the left one had a wear groove, now sorted too.

Strangely, I was looking in the 79 schematic and parts list and noticed that the left extractor in my 79 is flush fitting and is a .410 extractor, not the correct one, the 12Ga one has a shoulder that holds the bolt in a groove running the length of the receiver!

So I thought I'll get a proper one, but although I can get around the Numrich "only US and Canada credit cards billing addresses accepted" by using my US-address shipping company in Delaware to buy it their shippers don't ship gun accesories/parts!

I'll have to try to add a shoulder to the extractor. Then it's shoot .690 round balls until it breaks. If I can't repair future breakages then it's scrap I'm afraid.

Thanks for the help it is keeping the 79 alive.