ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1100 LT-20ga Magnum - Small Digs on Mag Tube
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:15 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I recently picked up this used 1100 lt 20 magnum from a local gun shop and noticed a group of similar digs on the magazine tube. Upon further inspection the piston seal is bent (as seen top-middle in the picture) and has a wear mark on the inside near the gap which leads me to believe that its the culprit.

I haven't sent any rounds through it yet and I have a new piston kit on the way, but I wanted to ask if I should do anything about the markings. I can feel slight dimples and very small burrs when I run my hand along them. The piston has little resistance in that area when I pass it up and down the tube.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: 1100 LT-20ga Magnum - Small Digs on Mag Tube
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have never seen that exact situation before, but I will speculate that a small piece of something, possibly steel shot, got in there and hung on the piston/piston seal, bending it. Then that damaged the tube. It apparently still functioned and every one of those marks was likely a separate shot.
I would take a small file and carefully remove any parts of the tube that are raised only. Don't worry about the dings, and then try it with Magnum shells with the new piston and piston seal.
A 20 gauge Magnum 1100 is generally much more sensitive to ammo than a 12. Mine will not reliably cycle with anything but 2-3/4" or 3" Magnum loads with the 3" barrel. With the Skeet or regular 2-3/4" field barrel it eats anything just fine.
I hope that fixes it because a mag tube replacement isn't cheap, and otherwise that gun looks like it has had very little use.
I got mine in 1979 so I could still shoot lead for ducks, and it performed admirably. I also bought a Skeet barrel with it and that performed great on a variety of things, especially as a foul weather quail gun. Later I added a 28" vent 2-3/4" barrel and had Mike Orlen add choke tubes. I picked up a new straight grip buttstock and matching fore end as well. It has been my most used gun, by far, for the last 10 or 15 years. Love that gun.

Post subject: Re: 1100 LT-20ga Magnum - Small Digs on Mag Tube
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

Take a file and put 300 wet/dry sandpaper wet in oil and sand long way LIGHTLY. If it has dents inside the tube, you need a dent raiser.