ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shout Out to Briley MFG, Houston, TX
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:23 pm 
Field Grade

My son and I purchased a Beretta DT11 together a couple of weeks ago. That alone makes the gun special. However, the gun did not quite fit either one of us. I am 6'1" and he is 6'2".

The fit wasn't terrible but, there was just a little too much rib showing with the gun properly mounted. So, after speaking with John at Briley about getting the gun fitted, I made an appointment.

After carefully checking the fit, John agreed that it was close but not perfect. He was able to effectively drop the comb at heel by adding a spacer with more pitch and an extended Kick Eez recoil pad.

The girls in the shop told me to go find something to do for and hour or so while John ground the spacer to match the stock profile. I got a call 30 minutes later that my gun was ready. The job was perfect and now the fit is perfect. All for $140 plus tax. No expensive and evasive stock bending, grinding, shaping required. I picked up another Briley choke while I was there.

Very pleased. I get to shoot tomorrow.

Post subject: Re: Shout Out to Briley MFG, Houston, TX
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nice job and nice gun too. Let us know how it works out at the range.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hope you get along with it :) I got the Black model a couple of years ago and WELL PLEASED with it :D

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:22 am 
Crown Grade

I live in Houston and Briley has been around a long time. Jess is not with us anymore but the firm continues on as usual. You received their usual service, that's one reason they are still here.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:24 pm 
Utility Grade

Glad to hear this. I just shipped my 686 white onyx to them for a stock bending and fitting.

Thanks for posting and that looks like a very nice gun.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:22 am 
Presentation Grade

I think you mean he lowered the comb at the cheek, not the heel. The slanted pad at the heel angles the comb down more and more as you move forward toward the cheek position. But how does that work to lower your eye relative to your cheek? Does it force you to bend your head forward more thereby compressing the vertical distance between the cheek and the eye. That is not a good thing as it makes you look through the tops of your eyes instead of the centers. Personally I think you would have been better off leaving the stock alone and adding a thin rib riser which is dirt cheap and completely effective for the problem you were having. For one thing your mount would not have had to change, and even more important you wouldn’t have voided your Beretta warranty. Also you wouldn’t have to bend backwards to overcome the slant and make the barrel horizontal to the ground. Unless you are not explaining things correctly, this doesn’t smell good to me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:38 am 
Field Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
I think you mean he lowered the comb at the cheek, not the heel. The slanted pad at the heel angles the comb down more and more as you move forward toward the cheek position. But how does that work to lower your eye relative to your cheek? Does it force you to bend your head forward more thereby compressing the vertical distance between the cheek and the eye. That is not a good thing as it makes you look through the tops of your eyes instead of the centers. Personally I think you would have been better off leaving the stock alone and adding a thin rib riser which is dirt cheap and completely effective for the problem you were having. For one thing your mount would not have had to change, and even more important you wouldn’t have voided your Beretta warranty. Also you wouldn’t have to bend backwards to overcome the slant and make the barrel horizontal to the ground. Unless you are not explaining things correctly, this doesn’t smell good to me.

NO. Just the opposite of what you are saying. Anytime you lengthen the pull, it lowers the comb at heel. The cheek stays pretty much where is was, depending on the shape of the stock. Also, increasing the pitch of the butt has the effect of lowering the muzzle of the gun when mounted and, leveling an otherwise high rib picture.

All components were installed and fit checked before final grinding.

The gun now fits. Rib is level. Head is more upright, sighting through the center of eye sockets, eyes level. I am breaking more birds. Just like most excellent gun fitters, these guys know what they are doing. Schedule yourself a consultation.

And, it smells the same.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:17 am 
Presentation Grade

I’m just trying to understand this. Is it possible that originally the muzzle was pointing up, showing you too much rib because you need more clearance for your chest at the toe of the butt? That would explain why cutting away the toe brought the muzzle down level. This is the kind of problem that large chested women have.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Adding a spacer that increases LOP moves the cheek rearward on the comb, lowering the eye and showing less rib.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:49 am 
Presentation Grade

lossking wrote:
Adding a spacer that increases LOP moves the cheek rearward on the comb, lowering the eye and showing less rib.

Yes, I understand that. It is the pitch change that I can’t figure out. I’m trying to understand why that was both necessary and effective. Not trying to be a butthole. Why was a flat spaced not used? I feel like the more we can learn about this stuff, the better prepared we can be to manage our own problems or at least to work with a pro to manage them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:09 am 
Field Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
lossking wrote:

Yes, I understand that. It is the pitch change that I can’t figure out. I’m trying to understand why that was both necessary and effective. Not trying to be a butthole. Why was a flat spaced not used? I feel like the more we can learn about this stuff, the better prepared we can be to manage our own problems or at least to work with a pro to manage them.

I have read that changing the pitch (and now confirmed) will move the sight picture on a shotgun when properly mounted. This is dependent on a persons physical build.

You can stand a shotgun up on its butt pad against a wall. Mark were the muzzle contacts the wall. Now increase the pitch of the stock and repeat the above procedure. The muzzle will now contact the wall in a different place.

Put that same stock against your shoulder, and it will be shooting lower than before with a flat pitch stock.

This combined with the increased LOP, made my shotgun fit me. When I brought it in, it was shooting high (too much rib showing). On the range, I would have to lower my head and look through the top of my eye socket to get the rib to line up. No good. Too much aiming and not enough looking at the bird.

The LOP increase will also increase cast off slightly. Obviously, these changes are slight. If you need more adjustment than I did, some stock fitting wizard will have to work his magic.

I am no expert but these are some things I learned about gun fitting by doing some research, talking with some true experts and, going through the fitting process itself.

Edit: It was much easier for me to fit my Benelli SBE (which I have been shooting for over a decade) with thicker butt pads and shims that increased LOP, dropped the comb, and added cast off. Now, it fits me like a glove too. Should have done that years ago!