ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Atlas AT 50
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I want to get better at trap but trying to do it a little less expensive. My question is will the above machine ( I have one) duplicate a true trap round. It has the rotation feature.
I am trying to get back into trap after a few years shooting skeet and sporting. I did take Harlan Campbell's course years ago but don't remember much. I recently joined the ATA.
Those of you that know about the Atlas trap have ant advice.

Post subject: Re: Atlas AT 50
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:44 am 
Diamond Grade

I looked at the specs and it would seem to be capable of throwing a target like at a trap range, IF, you installed and set it up per ATA range specs. The 50 target capacity means it's a 1 or 2 person max set-up and you'll be loading it up lots. But - - - if you set up your range properly, you should be able to duplicate a round of trap at an ATA club with that machine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Shouldn't be that hard to set up. Doesn't have to be perfect or ATA approved. Easier on flat ground with a 50 yard marker. Set the height and spring so target comes close to the marker. No radar gun needed. Measure yardage from the front of the trap and guess on the angles to make it easy. It will be much more difficult to get the field to ATA spec. Then again..... Not all ATA approved fields are perfect. I see variables in trap house height, fields set too far to the right or left, and target distance well short of the 50 yards when using radar. Ive shot tournament targets on hundreds of different fields all over the country. Orange, green and black targets with variable backgrounds, registered and derby targets. Even club trap fields are variable.

Maltz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Take a tape measure and walk back from the middle of you machine location and put a stake in the ground. That is post 3. Still holding the tape to get the arc, take 3 big steps or measure 9 feet to the left and that is the center of post 2. Another 9 feet is post 1. Do the same on the other side to find posts 3 & 5.

Take at least a 200 foot string/rope and tie it on your post 3 stake and walk straight out from post 3 stringing it across the center of your trap machine location and eyeball or transit it to get it as close to a straight away from post 3. Put a stake in the ground 50 yards from your trap machine along that line. Holding the rope and a 50' tape measure, walk is an arc both both directions and put a stake in the ground when the tape on a straight line back to your 50 yard stake says 45'. Those are your angle limit stakes for a typical ATA set target field.

Put another stake in the ground 30 feet from your trap machine. That is where you can set your 8-10' target height pole. A 10 foot 1/2 inch piece of electrical conduit with tape at 8" 8.5', 9' and 9.5' works fine. If your 10 yard stake is a 3/8th rebar, your conduit will slide over it and you can check your target height by yourself.

Set you machine so that the target flies by you pole at about 9 feet high and crank the tension until it reaches your 50 yard stake you may have to adjust your height to get the right speed and trajectory. Check your angle limits using your angle limit stakes.

Keep your head down.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jim Tyner wrote:
Take a tape measure and walk back from the middle of you machine location and put a stake in the ground. That is post 3. Still holding the tape to get the arc, take 3 big steps or measure 9 feet to the left and that is the center of post 2. Another 9 feet is post 1. Do the same on the other side to find posts 3 & 5.

Take at least a 200 foot string/rope and tie it on your post 3 stake and walk straight out from post 3 stringing it across the center of your trap machine location and eyeball or transit it to get it as close to a straight away from post 3. Put a stake in the ground 50 yards from your trap machine along that line. Holding the rope and a 50' tape measure, walk is an arc both both directions and put a stake in the ground when the tape on a straight line back to your 50 yard stake says 45'. Those are your angle limit stakes for a typical ATA set target field.
Thanks for this ^^, this is the info I need.

Put another stake in the ground 30 feet from your trap machine. That is where you can set your 8-10' target height pole. A 10 foot 1/2 inch piece of electrical conduit with tape at 8" 8.5', 9' and 9.5' works fine. If your 10 yard stake is a 3/8th rebar, your conduit will slide over it and you can check your target height by yourself.

Set you machine so that the target flies by you pole at about 9 feet high and crank the tension until it reaches your 50 yard stake you may have to adjust your height to get the right speed and trajectory. Check your angle limits using your angle limit stakes.

Keep your head down.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:13 pm 
Field Grade

I have the same Atlas and added the and bought the solo shooter system that allows me to put in up to 6 second delay so I have time to shoulder the gun and it has a 75 yard range. I set mine up to throw the same pattern for 10 or so birds or until I’m consistent on hitting them. Our trap league was shooting from the 20 yard line and this helped me get my scores up. It didn’t seem to be important that the trap perfectly mimicked a true trap range.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for the replies.