ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: American Field Sportiing at Texas Gun Ranch 10/04/2020
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Please join us for the first north Texas American Field Sporting event, Sunday, October 4th, at Texas Gun Ranch.

What is American Field Sporting?
At the heart of American Field Sporting are 12 rules and 3 different field formats that separate it from other clay target games and create the foundation for this new addition to sporting clays.

America Field Sporting consists of targets shot low gun (for NSCA Master and AA Class or international equivalent), in 25 (twenty-five) target increments (called a field.) Three (3) different Field Formats, (Rotate/Red, Walk/White, and Box/Blue) are available to target setters.

Our goal is to provide a new type of event, add a twist for some extra fun and challenges.

Learn more about our event here: https://bit.ly/2QIb5GQ

We're happy to answer any questions.

- Texas Gun Ranch

Rifle Pistol Shotgun

Post subject: Re: American Field Sportiing at Texas Gun Ranch 10/04/2020
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Glad to see someone else giving this a try; please post the results/comments of those who attend; wish I was closer as it sounds like a great alternative to basic sporting.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:54 am 
Utility Grade

We're a few days away from the 1st American Field Sporting event in north Texas!

Event is Sunday, October 4th, at Texas Gun Ranch in Terrell, TX. We're only 30 minutes east of Dallas.

The X target definitely adds a challenge to the higher level shooter, while not hurting the B-D level shooters.

Here's the Green Course of fire: https://youtu.be/U37c_kjwIgE

- Hope to see you there!

Texas Gun Ranch

Rifle Pistol Shotgun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sad I will be missing this one, really wanted to shoot this event but for some reason my wife didn't want to go to Terrell and shoot for our "Anniversary Trip" so we area headed to Colorado, there isn't a shooting range within 2 hours of where we will be, so I have no idea what we are going to do. :D

It was mentioned on another thread, but for anyone on the fence, Texas Gun Ranch runs fantastic tournaments, you won't regret shooting any of their events.

Justin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:18 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm looking forward to it. I like the idea of the X target, and I think the layout will speed things along. One of my biggest gripes is one or two groups holding up the course.

Texas Gun Ranch is one of my favorite places to shoot. We are lucky that we have a number of really good sporting clays ranges in the DFW area.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:15 am 
Field Grade

This weekend, my wife and I traveled 4 hours to Texas Gun Ranch to shoot American Field Sporting for the first time. In short, we had a blast.

Bart Gardner and his team laid out four excellent courses and, for their first time with AFS, did an outstanding job. Referees were knowledgeable and very welcoming. No stress, no confusion. Just flat out fun.

It was a very pleasant surprise to find world-class FITASC referee, Lizzy Seibert, refereeing the BLUE course. We greatly appreciated Bart including Lizzy as she has refereed AFS at other clubs around the country.

Those who know me know that FITASC is my favorite game. I like the variety of targets and most of the rules.

AFS provides the target variety with many fewer rules and a faster “feel”. I had a good laugh when one participant, wearing flip-flops, said he went out the evening before to purchase said shoes. While they were hurting his feet (clearly not one to wear sandals), he wasn’t going to pass up the opportunity to wear flip-flops and thumb his nose at the FITASC shoe police.

If you haven’t had the opportunity to shoot American Field Sporting, be on the lookout for an upcoming tournament near you. Keep an eye on the website for upcoming events (https://americanfieldsporting.com/).

PLEASE do not let unfamiliarity dissuade you from shooting this new game. It’s easy to pick up and a great deal of fun to shoot. “Try it. You’ll like it!”

Lastly, I want to thank Bart and his entire staff at Texas Gun Ranch for holding the event. Yesterday, TGR offered AFS, a Main, and two sub-gauge overlays; 20 and 28. After only a few months of ownership, Bart was was willing to think outside the box and offer everyone a chance to play our newest game. Gennifer and I sure thought it was a success. We hope others, including TGR, thought so as well.

Last edited by jcraig3 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:42 am 
Crown Grade

Looks great. The use of a field judge who controls the targets and scoresheet makes this game a legit competition.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:20 pm 
Limited Edition

I thought the event was great mix of different styles of shooting, traditional sporting clays, FITASC, and 5-Stand.
Texas Gun Ranch put on a spectacular event, especially being their first American Field Sporting event. Overall, everything went smoothly, target presentations were excellent, and the ranch has a nice layout for regular sporting clays.

Lizzie was great, and everyone was relaxed and had a good time on our squad.

Thanks to the TGR staff who brought this format to our area.

Gotta love the X-Bird!