ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinions on modifying Remington 1100 for older daughter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:22 am 
Utility Grade

I have a daughter that is 5-9. She wants to do more dove and clay shooting. I have a 70’s model 1100 standard in 2-3/4 Fixed full that I can get a stock from heads up and do barrel work and chokes Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Opinions on modifying Remington 1100 for older daughter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

I’m not sure what the question is.

"I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post which any human power can give."Thomas Jefferson, 1788

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

I’d say keep all original stuff.

If you want to change stock, fine, get a new ones.

If you want a barrel that has changeable chokes, get a new barrel and the chokes you want.

Again, Leaving the original stuff in tact.but that’s just me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Buy a ribbed 28" barrel with choke tubes,

"... more dove and clay shooting." That suggests that she is familiar with the 1100. The question is, how well does the gun fit her: When she brings the gun back to her shoulder, does the pointed "toe" of the recoil pad, (It dies have a recoil pad, doesn't it?) make contact well before the top "heel" of the pad? If it does, change the pitch on the stock so the whole pad make simultaneous contact, top to bottom.

With her cheek snugly on the comb, is she looking along with the surface of the comb with no surface visible? She should be for dove shooting especially, if she sees more than vary little rib surface, the comb height relative to the rib (the "drop at the comb" stock dimension) needs to be corrected.

Have you taught her the recommended "shooting form," consisting of gun mount, stance, weight distribution and head, neck and body posture? The stock must come close to fitting your daughter before she can use a good shooting form,.You might consider taking her to a good stock fitter who would teach her shooting form and then correct any stock dimensions that are preventing her using it.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384