ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Superposed info
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:11 pm 
Utility Grade

I was given a Browning Superposed Shotgun by my father in law. It is beautiful and extremely tight like is has very little use. The only flaw in the gun are two small areas on the barrel where some corrosion has effected the bluing. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith that can repair this flaw. It is a very low serial number gun #213#

Thanks in advance
Bruce

Last edited by BAArcher on Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Browning Superposed info
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:31 pm 
Field Grade

Art's Gun & Sport Shop
Hillsboro, MP
636-944-3630

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:36 pm 
Field Grade

Should be Hillsboro, MO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

Great gun, does it have a "C" or a "P" in the serial number? Can you describe it or post pics? I.E. does it have double triggers, what kind of rib, any engraving, butt pad or not, etc? We love those old, old Supers and any opportunity to check them out is appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:49 pm 
Utility Grade

NoDak Scotty wrote:
Great gun, does it have a "C" or a "P" in the serial number? Can you describe it or post pics? I.E. does it have double triggers, what kind of rib, any engraving, butt pad or not, etc? We love those old, old Supers and any opportunity to check them out is appreciated.

No letters in the serial numbers, double triggers. The vent rib I says Browning Superposed with two ivory beads. Some engraving on edges, lever and trigger guard. The butt plate is original and says Browning Superposed in two circles stacked vertically. I’ll post pics when I figure out how ....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

Nice! A Grade 1, Non-Crossfire rib with script Browning Superposed, Double Triggers and a original buffalo horn Double Circle buttplate. Please post pics when able.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:42 pm 
Utility Grade

Link to pictures, hope it worked!

https://imgur.com/a/4yFZH5i

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

That’s so cool.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:06 am 
Presentation Grade

If the marks are on the lower barrel just ahead of the forearm, that's normal wear from the forearm sliding forward for disassembly. I would advise that you leave that alone (other than keeping it from rusting and getting worse), because any alterations to the gun's original condition tends to detract from its 'collector' value.

Also, I would only consider recommendations for a gunsmith based on recent first-hand personal experience. There are SO many guns that have been 'got-at' (to quote a phrase from a friend in the UK).

Can you tell us how long your f-i-l has had the gun and when and/or from where he bought it? It's pretty safe to assume he is not the original owner (not that it matters). I know that #2167 was sold in October 1937 to Von Lengerke & Antoine of Chicago. The origin, history and people behind the guns tend to be as interesting as the guns, themselves.

Thanks for sharing the gun with us - Congratulations. Very nice gift.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:37 am 
Crown Grade

BAArcher wrote:
Link to pictures, hope it worked!

https://imgur.com/a/4yFZH5i

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:49 am 
Crown Grade

Lovely old superposed! Keep it original!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:20 am 
Diamond Grade

What an amazing, useful, vintage, piece of sporting equipment and craftmanship! Congratulations! I'd love to own one like it.

Would those be double single triggers? Which, by the way, I believe are ingenious and very practical. I have wondered why other manufacturers never picked up on that feature, or why Browning quit offering them. I suspect like often, it was cost of production vs. demand. I seem to recall that some of the early Superposed had true double triggers as opposed tothe single double type?

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:37 am 
Utility Grade

Grouse Gunner wrote:
What an amazing, useful, vintage, piece of sporting equipment and craftmanship! Congratulations! I'd love to own one like it.

Would those be double single triggers? Which, by the way, I believe are ingenious and very practical. I have wondered why other manufacturers never picked up on that feature, or why Browning quit offering them. I suspect like often, it was cost of production vs. demand. I seem to recall that some of the early Superposed had true double triggers as opposed tothe single double type?

Enjoy!

Explain double single triggers?

Last edited by BAArcher on Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:45 am 
Utility Grade

Anatidae wrote:
If the marks are on the lower barrel just ahead of the forearm, that's normal wear from the forearm sliding forward for disassembly. I would advise that you leave that alone (other than keeping it from rusting and getting worse), because any alterations to the gun's original condition tends to detract from its 'collector' value.

Also, I would only consider recommendations for a gunsmith based on recent first-hand personal experience. There are SO many guns that have been 'got-at' (to quote a phrase from a friend in the UK).

Can you tell us how long your f-i-l has had the gun and when and/or from where he bought it? It's pretty safe to assume he is not the original owner (not that it matters). I know that #2167 was sold in October 1937 to Von Lengerke & Antoine of Chicago. The origin, history and people behind the guns tend to be as interesting as the guns, themselves.

Thanks for sharing the gun with us - Congratulations. Very nice gift.

My father in law owned a gun store in Virginia and he took it in on a trade. The makes I’m referring to are two small corrosion areas from where it was exposed to salt water during a hurricane, they are small minor flaws but it feels like having a grain of sand in my eye just knowing they are there.
I’m waiting for a call from the Browning Historian to learn more on the history of this beautiful gun, I find that very interesting. Thanks for your reply...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bruce:

Congrats on a very nice condition Grade 1 pre-war Superposed! {hs# Thank you for sharing it with us!!

Does it have the metal horseshoe on the front of the fore-end? It also says "Browning Superposed" on the top rib, not many did. That's cool. Excellent bluing and lovely stocks. Love the twin-single triggers!

Here's a thread on this forum where you can see pics of other pre-wars and get/share info. https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=366787

Recommend you purchase a Letter of Authenticity from the Browning Historian. Adds value. Plus, it's cool.

CFB

Support this Forum! Become a Bonus Member . . . Click on the URL, below!
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118027

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:21 pm 
Utility Grade

crazyforbrownings wrote:
Bruce:

Congrats on a very nice condition Grade 1 pre-war Superposed! {hs# Thank you for sharing it with us!!

Does it have the metal horseshoe on the front of the fore-end? It also says "Browning Superposed" on the top rib, not many did. That's cool. Excellent bluing and lovely stocks. Love the twin-single triggers!

Here's a thread on this forum where you can see pics of other pre-wars and get/share info. https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=366787

Recommend you purchase a Letter of Authenticity from the Browning Historian. Adds value. Plus, it's cool.
CFB

I’m working on the letter right now, here’s a pic of the horseshoe ;

https://imgur.com/gallery/DIc5ahu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:52 am 
Field Grade

What a fantastic old Superposed. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

Congratulations ! There’s nothing quite like a prewar , especially an example in that condition. Enjoy {hs#

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

BAArcher wrote:
Explain double single triggers?

"Twin Single" triggers are a unique function of early Superposeds. In a nutshell, each trigger, if pulled twice, will fire both barrels; thus no reason to move your finger to the other trigger. If the front trigger fires the Under barrel, it will also then fire the Over, and vice versa for the back trigger.

As Val Browning struggled to perfect the Single Selective Trigger (SST), some, but not all Superposed had Twin Singles, probably if the customer ordered it that way. I think they're the most desirable option on a Super IMHO.

CAUTION: Read this part carefully. The easiest way to tell if you have Twin Singles is, with an empty gun, cock and fire the front trigger, bump the stock on the floor, and see if the front trigger then also fires the second barrel. I say caution because I DON'T want you to "bump" that gorgeous buffalo horn buttplate against anything except the palm of your hand. Don't want to crack it...Also, you can just load 'er up and fire the front trigger twice and see of she goes bang-bang or bang-click.

You have a very nice, desirable (on this forum) gun, so enjoy it!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:37 pm 
Field Grade

Simply awesome!
Owned a 1955.
This is just.......GREAT!!!