ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First time in a tournament
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you are a first time shooter with no know record what class would you start at? The way I understand it there are 7 classes AAA - E. Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: First time in a tournament
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

You shoot your first event and your score determines what class you are in. For example, my first 20 gauge event was a 99. That placed me in AAA class, which was the class I carried to the next shoot. Oh, by the way, you establish a class for each gauge.
This is all explained in the rule book, available on line at the NSSA website.
http://mynssa.nssa-nsca.org/?s=Rule+book

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

wrfish wrote:
If you are a first time shooter with no know record

As a new unclassified shooter, shoot management may allow you to shoot Targets Only at a reduced price. That would probably be to your advantage.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I shoot 3 gauges about the same, that is about 92%. I have not shot .410 much as I just recently has my gun fitted for tubes. Looking at the World Shoot scores,to be in the middle of the pack I would need to be in the D or E class. How would I eventually end up in those classes?
I am in my 70s and probably will not get any better :( I do enjoy skeet.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:40 am 
Tournament Grade

If you are not already a member of NSSA, consider a CLM at a discounted price -

http://mynssa.nssa-nsca.org/wp-content/ ... M-2016.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:47 am 
Crown Grade

wrfish wrote:
I shoot 3 gauges about the same, that is about 92%. I have not shot .410 much as I just recently has my gun fitted for tubes. Looking at the World Shoot scores,to be in the middle of the pack I would need to be in the D or E class. How would I eventually end up in those classes?
I am in my 70s and probably will not get any better :( I do enjoy skeet.

You establish an average in each gauge. As noted above your average starts with with your first score in a given gauge. That score is used for your class in the the first event, and your class in the next registered event you shoot in that gauge. For your first 5 events in a gauge your class can be whatever your averages are with no limits - You could be AAA in the first event if you whack a 100, but you could be in D class by the end of your 5 events. After your 5th event you just maintain an average based on your last 5 registered events. There are limits then as to how far you can drop in a year. You are not limited going up in class - but there are limits as to how far you can drop and how many times. For example you can go from B -> A -> B -> A but then your stuck in A for the balance of the year and can not drop back to B.

This is true for all gauges or events (doubles) individually. What you do in one gauge or event has no bearing on the other gauges or events.

It is confusing - but download the rulebook and read the section of shooter classification. It's all there.

One thing to remember is that it's your responsibility to know your class and your average when you sign up. Even looking it up on the computer isn't necessarily accurate as the NSSA doesn't know your history until the club you shot at submits the results. So if you shoot back to back weekends your last score may not be in the NSSA database. It's on you to know this and keep track of it. If you shoot in the wrong class it can really mess up things for the shoot management people. If you declare too high a class you're stuck in that class for the rest of the year. If you declare too low a class and win something - you have to give back all your winnings and shoot management has to refigure the shoot and pay all the people out again that should have won something. It's a mess.

Had that happen a couple years ago at a shoot. A shooter had shot in a shoot earlier in the year and they misclassed him somehow. He entered our shoot with the correct class based on his average - but since he shot in the wrong class at the shoot before ours his entry at our shoot was incorrect. It was a mess. Thankfully we figured it out before we were done doing all the awards and filings so we didn't have to resubmit shoot results and send out revised checks - but he was screwed because he was stuck in a higher class than he should have been for the rest of the year.

One of Many

Last edited by John H on Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you sign-up now your membership is only good until the end of the year. You'll have to renew for 2021. I believe NSSA will not be mailing membership and average cards in 2021.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:58 pm 
Limited Edition

J.Fred_Muggs
If you join now your member ship starts now and goes through 2021, this was discussed in the BOD meeting last week. Also holds true if you have been a member in the past but not in 2020.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

For the OP and others who may be starting registered tournament play. Because ‘Non-Classed’ shooters do not know which class they will actually be participating in until after they shoot the event, it is not advantageous for anyone’s very first to be at a high dollar, well attended tournament. Prior to the World, your Zone Championship, the Masters, the U.S. Open, or even your State Championship, I would recommend some type of ‘Registered League’ or ‘Target Only’ small local tournament for your first. Something inexpensive, that will establish you into a Class, with little downside. You only need one tournament to be removed from that ‘Non-Classed’ category. Avoid the big money/trophy tournament for that first one.

Here is the reasoning. In a well-attended tournament, to win anything in your Class (regardless of which class it is) you will need to shoot above your average. That is just the way it is, shooting average just isn’t going to get it done. There will be a few 28-ga C-Class shooters with an 87% average, who will shoot 94 and 95. C-Class shooters with a score of 87 are donating their prize money to those who shot the 94 and 95.

Being ‘Non-Classed’, you have no ‘registered’ average established. It is impossible to shoot above your average, if you have no average! You may average 87% in practice. You may shoot similar to the C-Class shooters in practice. And after four or five tournaments it’s likely that you will find yourself shooting in C-Class. However there is no ‘known ability’ clause that automatically establishes you into C-Class based upon your practice efforts.

Let’s assume it is you who turns out and shoots the 95 discussed above; a score that is really good for you and may win C-Class. Unfortunately, because it’s your first tournament, the 95 puts you into A-Class against those shooters and their scores. And wouldn’t you know it, half of those A-Class guys also are shooting above their average; you walk by the scoreboard and find that 99’s and even 100’s were shot in A-Class! So, just as an 87 would have donated to the C-Class winner, your 95 donates to the A-Class winner … it’s basically impossible to win in that very first tournament. Particularly if it is a big one, that’s well-attended with dozens of A-Class, B-Class and C-Class shooters!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

John H wrote:
...There are limits then as to how far you can drop in a year. You are not limited going up in class - but there are limits as to how far you can drop and how many times. For example you can go from B -> A -> B -> A but then your stuck in A for the balance of the year and can not drop back to B.

This is no longer the rule John. The directors voted and changed that early in 2020.

In your example, if a shooter started the year in B-Class, they could advance up and down, and up, all of the way up to AAA-Class and then down and back up, and down, all of the way down to a class no lower than one below that of which they started the year. So could go from B to AAA to C.

The same rule change also did away with the 'self-declare' requirement that would prevent any movement downward after declaring into a higher class.