ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1100 cycling issues
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

My buddy just picked up a used 1100 comp. he has been having some issues with it cycling. I cleaned it out. It looks like it wasn’t shot very often and was shot dry. I cleaned it out. I noticed when the barrel is off every now and then the action won’t cycle. It binds up, I think there may be an issue with the link. When I put it back together I ran it wet and with AA 1 1/8th lighter loads and it worked fine. He was running 1 ounce Rios in it and it was having cycling issues again. Remington won’t look at it right now.

Post subject: Re: 1100 cycling issues
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:58 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a Rem 1100 Comp that I bought from a friend. Great shooting gun but with a round of 100 sporting clays, I will have 2 Failure to Feed on every trip. I keep my guns clean after every session so it is not a "dirty" issue. I have tried Rem Gun Clubs, Federal, Rem Clay & Field, Winchester, etc. Shell type does not seem to matter.

When I state "failure to feed", what will happen is that the first shot shell ejects, the action comes back as it should, the second shell drops in but it fails to feed up into the chamber. I can hit the side of the receiver with my palm and it will feed.

Interestingly, I shoot with a friend who has the same model gun and his does the same. About 2 FTF in a round of 100 each time we go.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:13 am 
Crown Grade

took wrote:
I have a Rem 1100 Comp that I bought from a friend. Great shooting gun but with a round of 100 sporting clays, I will have 2 Failure to Feed on every trip. I keep my guns clean after every session so it is not a "dirty" issue. I have tried Rem Gun Clubs, Federal, Rem Clay & Field, Winchester, etc. Shell type does not seem to matter.

When I state "failure to feed", what will happen is that the first shot shell ejects, the action comes back as it should, the second shell drops in but it fails to feed up into the chamber. I can hit the side of the receiver with my palm and it will feed.

Interestingly, I shoot with a friend who has the same model gun and his does the same. About 2 FTF in a round of 100 each time we go.

What did Remington customer service advise? I messaged them to see what their situation was with the changes in the company. They responded very quickly with essentially a " no changes ". It`s worth a phone call IMHO.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do either of these guns have the longer carrier release button and/or the new carrier that allows you to cycle rounds thru the action without having to press the carrier release ?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:55 am 
Tournament Grade

Mine does not allow you to cycle without having to press the carrier release.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

My buddies has the longer release it was built in 2016. He switched out the trigger group with another 110 comp and was having the same issues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have only fooled with two Competition 1100 that were having somewhat similar problems, although slightly more frequent. One I put tape on the receiver for every shot and the bolt was not coming all the way back on misfeeds. I cleaned it good and swapped to the old style piston and piston seal. Problem solved.
The other one was a toughie. I tried everything including lightly honing the chamber to no avail. I took the trigger group apart and stoned all the mating moving surfaces, and there's a bunch of those. I don't know which did it, but upon reassembly it was fine.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thank you for the feedback on remedy options. I plan to shoot it next weekend and may take the same path. I'm honestly not too worried about it with only 2 issues in a round of 100. But it would be nice to resolve it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Update - and positive.

Before going today to shoot a 100 clay targets, I sprayed the action bar and a shot into the receiver with Rem DriLube. No issues at all.

Typically, when I clean a gun, my last part of the process is to spray a cloth rag with Hornady One Shot and I wipe it all down. Did the same last time I shot it; so only difference is the Rem DriLube finish.

One outing does not make a trend; but this is the first time I have not had any failure to eject issues in a round of 100. Will continue to try this.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:44 pm 
Field Grade

When the gun is binding up, what helps it to un-bind?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:37 am 
Presentation Grade

With my buddies gun he needs to close the action and then re open it for the gun to cycle. He has another 1100 we switched barrels, trigger assemblies, slide and bolts and it does the same thing