ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turkey hunting
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:35 pm 
Field Grade

Last saturday was opening day here in Ohio for fall turkey season. I've been out sitting in my blind for about a week since it is archery deer season. Every day like clock work, turkeys have been parading past my blind. Saturday morning I went out there to my blind with a WWII vintage 16 ga. model 12 Winchester and sat down to wait for those birds. I stuffed a home rolled shell loaded with home made #6s in the chamber and had another in the tube mag. Just short of 2 hours past dawn, up strolls a nice turkey hen of around 17#s. End of story. 15 yards and one boom! That turkey will be the main guest at a feast at my dinner table very soon. I have to admit, it is really satisfying to get a bird with a shell that you loaded yourself. The tail will be mounted on the wall next to the tail and beard of the big gobbler I got with a bow a couple years ago. North wall of the garage is the bird wall. West wall is the deer wall and east wall is the fish wall. (30# King salmon!) I have a hard time working in the garage. I sit back and look at the walls and the memories come flooding back. Wife wonders why it takes me so long to get things done out there.

Post subject: Re: Turkey hunting
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Way to go, smokpole. Congrats on a job well done and enjoy the turkey dinner. You earned it.

Post subject: Re: Turkey hunting
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

Congrats on the bird with a vintage gun and hand load. As we speak, I’m fletching a dozen arrows with feathers from the turkeys I arrowed last spring. Fun critter to hunt.