ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: skeet shoot off terminology
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:33 am 
Limited Edition

I read in shoot reports "shoot off went into the 2nd box" What does this mean? I'm familiar with shoot off format, just not sure what a box refers to. thanks

Post subject: Re: skeet shoot off terminology
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:29 am 
Crown Grade

DooFighter wrote:
I read in shoot reports "shoot off went into the 2nd box" What does this mean? I'm familiar with shoot off format, just not sure what a box refers to. thanks
The 'box' referred to here is a box of ammunition - 25 shells in the appropriate gauge of the event being shot off. Going into the second box means that shoot off participants are still tied after completing the first full round of Skeet (as in World Shoot HOA Champion shoot-off) or shot 12 pairs (as in Doubles at Station 3, 4, & 5 for 99% of all other shoot-offs). Then the participants still tied get a 2nd 'box' (25 shells) of ammunition and continue.

Retired

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:38 am 
Diamond Grade

In NSSA shoot offs, can participants shoot their own legal shells, either reloads or factory? Or are they given each box by the club?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:44 am 
Crown Grade

Grouse Gunner wrote:
In NSSA shoot offs, can participants shoot their own legal shells, either reloads or factory? Or are they given each box by the club?
I can't say for sure if there are any clubs in the USA that give shells to the shooter for shoot-offs, but I can say I have never shot at a club that did that. I did hear from a shooter who was stationed in Japan, that told me the shells were included with the cost of a round of Skeet. He said it was about $25 US to shoot one 25 target round of Skeet there with the shells furnished.

Shooters here are normally required to furnish their own shells for any shoot-offs. Reloads or factory ammunition is the shooters choice as long as they meet NSSA requirements for ammunition. A few clubs do furnish proof shells during the regular rounds of Skeet, but those have become fewer over the 34 years I have been competing.

Retired

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As a referee I have always offered shells to participants for things like reshooting a target when a reshoot had to be done, but never the shells for shoot offs.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:27 pm 
Limited Edition

There have been a couple of shoots where shootoff ammunition was provided, but not in probably 30 years. The most notable was the Great Eastern and some other shoots held at Lordship. The club brought cases of ammo to the shootoff fields, they handed you a box when you needed it. You had a choice of any brand as long as it was Remington.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:50 pm 
Crown Grade

It gets even more complicated. When consecutively shot, 12 pairs are shot on odd boxes and 13 pairs on odd boxes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
It gets even more complicated. When consecutively shot, 12 pairs are shot on odd boxes and 13 pairs on odd boxes.
The original question was for shootoffs. Your answer would be correct for a regular Doubles Event where some rounds do have 13 pairs. However shootoffs typically are only 12.

Tournament management has the right to shootoff by whatever rules they decide, and the rules are posted going into it. 99% of the time, shootoffs are ‘Doubles at 3-4-5, Miss and Out by Station’. This would be 12 pairs for the entire box, and that is the situation for every box. It is sudden death format 24-shells, as such: Doubles at 3, Doubles at 4 (over), Doubles at 5, Doubles at 4 (back), Doubles at 3, Doubles at 4 (over), Doubles at 5, Doubles at 4 (back), Doubles at 3, Doubles at 4 (over), Doubles at 5, and finally Doubles at 4 (back).

If two or more shooters miss one target on the same pair, those shooters would lose to any who did not miss. They however would still be tied as they each missed one target of the same pair and thus potentially have a ‘continuation’ to break the tie that they are still in. If a shooter misses both targets of the pair, they would lose to those who only missed one target, and those who did not miss any. For those who do not miss any at all, at the end of the 12 pairs, they would go on and begin a second box of ‘3-4-5 Miss and Out by Station’. And then after 24 pairs, they would go onto a third box of ‘3-4-5 Miss and Out by Station’.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:16 pm 
Crown Grade

In some shoots I've been to, after a box of 3,4,5 doubles, they go to only station 4 doubles, altering which bird gets shot first. If they clear that box, they go back to 3,4,5 doubles, altering boxes as such.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You could also rent a Remington 1100 or 3200 to shoot for $1.00 at Lordship. Of course since they owned the place they could subsidize it. I loved shooting there (But only on a calm day! Kind of like Shooting at Lincoln Park when I lived in Down Town Chicago)

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

I heard a story the great Wayne Mays who put a couple of cases of shells at station 4 to begin the shoot off, just in intimidate the others. Funny story, but if anyone could go through a shoot off rounds needing cases, it would be him.