ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SX4 owners... please clear the air
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:48 pm 
Field Grade

Are they any good? Any problems?

I just bought a Maxus but wanted another gun for a loaner or if the weather wasn't going to be so nice. I was looking for cheaper alternatives than another browning. Everyone on this forum seems to recommend the V3 and A300 but I'm looking for 4+1 capacity. This will be for all things clay and mainly messing around at friends farms with a thrower so more capacity the better.

I was all set to buy a Weatherby element for $500 tomorrow but it sold out today. The SX4 I've shouldered felt good but was a little more than I wanted to spend. With that said, I kinda like the bigger controls and trigger because this would maybe be a winter gun so would help with gloves?

Is it worth it to step up to the SX4 for another$200? My Maxus is a 30" so I was looking to try a 28" for something different. If I should stay with the same length barrel/30" should I step up to the SX3 sporting for $1000?

I know this is a lot of questions and I'm all over the place but I'm new and have the bug! I've been shooting my friends Weatherby element while waiting for my Maxus and I don't mind the inertia. I would really like to stick around $500 but it sold so I found the SX4 hybrid I like in 28" for $700...but keep hearing everyone talk about the SX3 so I found the sporting for$1000. It's like I've worked my way back up to another Maxus almost! Lol

Post subject: Re: SX4 owners... please clear the air
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:08 pm 

That SX4 will give you service that $500 gun could never deliver and if you do break it, you can get parts.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:35 am 
Tournament Grade

I'd get the SX3 sporting; you may really like it as a primary.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:22 am 
Field Grade

chemclay wrote:
I'd get the SX3 sporting; you may really like it as a primary.

Like it more than my Maxus Sporting?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:39 pm 
Crown Grade

i have a Winchester Super-X Model 3.Great gun and I am well pleased with it.Have handled the Super-X Model 4.Nice feeling gun and If I did not al ready have a Model 3, I would not hesitate to buy it.The Model 4 has some features that I like very much,that are not on the Model 3.The larger trigger guard being one of them.Much better for use in cold weather with gloves or mittens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:32 am 
Tournament Grade

An SX4 Hybrid for $700 is a good deal and it meets your requirements as a foul weather gun and loaner with the cerakote finish. I have an element tungsten in 20ga and an SX4 hybrid 12ga for the same uses and both are reliable workhorse guns that have not let me down.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm a big SX4 fan. I've had the Maxus (sold it cause I didn't shoot it well). I have an SX3, excellent gun. But of the 3, I like the SX4 the best. The bigger controls and trigger guard of the SX4 make a difference and it has the best safety I've ever found on a shotgun. Also, a very nice recoil pad. Reliability of my Maxus was poor but the SX3 and SX4 have been outstanding.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:41 am 
Presentation Grade

Best safety ? hmmm, what about trigger ? Randy says it's the worst trigger he's ever yanked on, are the triggers better now ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:02 am 
Utility Grade

I have a sx3 and I bought my 12 year old son the sx4. Both are great and very similar the only dislike of the 4 I have is the oversized trigger guard it cuts into my sons finger when it kicks back.