ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for my first O/U for Clays (mostly)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:51 am 
Utility Grade

I have an early 60's Browning Light 12 that was given to me years ago. When I go out shooting clays I take it. It's the only 12 ga I have. Lately I've been getting failures to eject so it's at the gunsmith awaiting parts. I sort of figure it's time to prob keep the oldie goldie in the gun case though and looking to do an Over Under for casual clay shooting with friends. Last weekend I borrowed a Browning 525 Sporting from a buddy. Even with it's shorter LOP (for him) (I'm 6'2) I felt like a god shooting that thing. Probably a 20-30% better break rate versus my ole Light 12. I couldn't believe it.

Looking for super practical advice. Talk me off the ledge.
1. My guess is I'll never shoot competitively (if I do I'll invest in a better gun).
2. I do want a good reliable competent well made O/U.
3. I don't care about pretty at all. I'm not hung up on wood grain or fancy etching. I do want the wood to be strong enough though to take some dings.
4. I dont want barrel porting. (in case I want to use it to hunt)
5. I'd like to go with a 30" or 32" barrel.
6. Used is just as OK as new to me.
7. I'll probably run around 2000 rounds a year through it and want it to be able to handle that and be configured to not kill my shoulder.
8. Looking for a 50/50 POI setup.
9. Legitimate top end of the current budget is around $3,000. Although $1,500 sounds better to me.
10. Adjustable comb. Do I really need that?

What I've looked at
1. Brownings, mostly the 725 Sporting and Citori CXS
2. Beretta 686 SP
3. Winchester 101
4. CZ Redhead (although I'm leaning more toward the top 3)

Honestly, For what I'm doing my guess is, I could probably close my eyes and point at anything I've mentioned I've looked at and be super happy. Any of those, I perceive, are a HUGE upgrade over my Light 12. Do I need a $3,000 O/U? The Browning 725 sorta caught my eye due to the new trigger system but I've never shot it so I dont know what I'm missing.

I'm going over to mount a few of them today to see how they feel. I'm just a little stuck between all the marketing and practicality. I appreciate your thoughts in advance.

Post subject: Re: Looking for my first O/U for Clays (mostly)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’m pleased with my CXS and think it’s a great choice. I’ve had a Beretta SP1 sporting in the past, and think that’s a great choice as well. Only you can decide which works best for you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:18 am 
Crown Grade

Pick the one that fits you the best. See if you can shoot the others on your list. Typically, if the Browning fits you well, the Beretta will not; not that one is better or worse, just different.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:27 am 
Diamond Grade

Try a Browning and a Beretta head-to-head. They have a much different feel and you'll likely prefer one or the other. You can't go wrong with either...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:41 am 
Crown Grade

Take a look at the Cynergy. It was supposed to be Browning’s newest and best clays gun. But they originally put this horrendous looking Euro Pad on it and it didn’t sell. By the time they corrected that, it was too late. Now they’re offered at much lower prices in field grade guns.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:17 am 
Utility Grade

Gentlemen thank you for the rapid replies. Sort of confirms my thoughts that any of them are super competent. I will go with fit. I had sort of counted out the Cynergy because all of them are 60/40 POI And I don’t love the look of that taller rib but again I suppose I could get used to it. I really don’t know the difference between 5050 and 6040 In practicality as it relates to my experience, I just know that I’ve only ever shot 50-50.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:04 am 
Utility Grade

Just mounted a Citori CXS, Cynergy CX, 725 Sporting and a Beretta 686 SP. Without a doubt the 725 felt the best to me by a fairly large margin. (Much to my chagrin) So, buy now cry now? Yeah, I suppose. *evil grin*

I liked the weight forward barrel of the 725. The CX / CXS felt good too but I felt like I was hunting for my sight picture alignment more with them when the 725 just comes up in line. That’s weird to experience. I see people talk about it but I’ve never experienced that before.

I wanted the Cynergy once I saw the price and I’m sure I can get used to it. But for the extra grand step to the 725, I’ll justify that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:28 am 
Limited Edition

Search Gunbroker looking for sellers who offer the "Take a Shot" option, I bought my 12 ga. 725 Sporting that way when the seller accepted my offer several hundred dollars below other sellers with fixed prices. Also look for sellers with pictures of the actual gun for sale rather than catalog images from Browning, you will get better wood if you are patient.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the advice on gun broker. I will take a look. I really appreciate everybody’s time

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Found one of these used in 32” today and snapped it up for 1000 off msrp.

https://www.browning.com/products/firea ... rting.html

Stoked!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:19 am 
Diamond Grade

You have good taste OP! That’s a great looking 725.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:32 am 
Limited Edition

Nice gun and a smokin' deal, hope you shoot it well!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:31 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you gentlemen for the responses and replies. Looking forward to receiving it. The seller had also put a kickeez Pad on it and included 4 Kicks Smoke choke tubes (for a few bucks more but Less than any advertised price I’ve seen). I can’t wait to get it. Of course the woodgrain on that model is level five or level six so the question becomes, to custom adjustable comb or to not adjustable comb? Actually, I’m going to try to avoid it if I can. I am looking forward to receiving the gun, I am 6 foot 2 with 36” arms and I think that stock will fit me better since it has a palm swell longer & LOP with the kickeez pad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:36 am 
Crown Grade

It should also have an adjustable trigger so you can add a touch of length there.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:45 am 
Utility Grade

Good point and thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:01 am 
Tournament Grade

the website for the gun you are buying says hiviz fiber optic front sight.....the specs says ivory bead. my advice is change out the hiviz for the ivory bead if required. you will get other opinions on this.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:16 am 
Presentation Grade

Are you sure that the LOP is longer? When I have a thicker pad like Kick-Eze installed, I have the wood cut to keep LOP the same as it was.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:37 am 
Diamond Grade

rans wrote:
the website for the gun you are buying says hiviz fiber optic front sight.....the specs says ivory bead. my advice is change out the hiviz for the ivory bead if required. you will get other opinions on this.

the hi viz sights with interchangeable tubes usually come with a white as well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:53 am 
Utility Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
Are you sure that the LOP is longer? When I have a thicker pad like Kick-Eze installed, I have the wood cut to keep LOP the same as it was.

I confirmed with the seller as we were doing the deal that the stock wasn’t cut. He is a tall person as well so looking to add a little bit of length also. Thanks for pointing that out though!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:39 am 
Utility Grade

birdhunter39 wrote:
rans wrote:

the hi viz sights with interchangeable tubes usually come with a white as well.

The model I purchased does in fact have the white ivory. Thanks for thinking of this though!