ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Still having finger/trigger problems.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

I shoot a Beretta 687, with a recoil reducer and, now, a mid rib.

Getting a double release now makes sense. Interestingly, according to Michael Keyes, shooters who shoot low guns rarely get flinches.

Randy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

randyflycaster wrote:
I shoot a Beretta 687... now, a mid rib.

Did you change or modify your stock after adding the mid rib?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yes, i raised the adjustable comb to match the mid rib. My POI is about 70/30.

Because I used to do a lot of pistol shooting, John Shima suggested that I use my middle finger as my trigger finger. That was because, on incomers, he saw that I was riding targets and probably measuring leads.

It seems that we know less about flinching that we do about most cancers.

Randy

Last edited by randyflycaster on Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

randyflycaster wrote:
John Shima suggested that I use my index finger as my trigger finger.

Index finger? The finger next to your thumb?

What finger were you using before John Shima made that suggestion?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sorry,
I meant middle finger.
Randy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

randyflycaster wrote:
That was because, on incomers, he saw that I was riding targets and probably measuring leads.Randy

If you are riding the long incomers - stop it. Don't hold on the opposite trap house and track the target all across the field, but rather, hold on your side of the center stake and pick those incomers up there and give them a short swing, like you do on doubles, and break them. This also works for anyone who slows down their swing on those long incomers. The longer you look at these targets the more you start measuring and thinking about your leads. Getting your mind involved, leads to flinching. This is a big reason why one should try to break the crossers on 3, 4, & 5 before or at the stake.

I'm pretty sure that if I tried to use a release trigger I'd have an accidental discharge(s). Thankfully I don't have a flinching problem. I also find keeping my finger off the trigger until I'm ready to yank on it helps. This helps eliminate finger farts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

randyflycaster wrote:
I meant middle finger.
Randy

Were you flinching before you started using your middle finger?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:50 am 
Presentation Grade

I am wondering about that myself.
Randy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:22 am 
Field Grade

I have been down the same road you are now. Went to a double release in my K80 for around a year. Was losing a couple of targets every two to three rounds as I could not let go of the trigger after installing the release. Had is adjusted twice trying to work it out. Phillips did the release and worked with me on let off. No confidence—. After several lost targets during league with the K80, pull the release out of my 390, installed the pull trigger and ran the next three nights of league
Went back to pull triggers in the K80 and here came the flinches again and worst.

Now I have my gun set to shoot high to float the target ( I can always see the target)
Break incomers at the stake.
Set my thumb over the rib at my hold point ( where I can’t see the bead).
Shoot a lot of 28 ga
I am a firm believer in flinching is eye related and it is a long process
I have great eye sight but 71 and the old body has been wore down over the years.
Pm me with your number if you like and I can discuss my trip down this lane
Thanks Bobby

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:10 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks Bobby. I am going to try to break my incomers sooner, before I change over to a double release. (Also, if I go to a double release I, in effect, will not have a back up gun.)

I read Don Zutz's chapter about flinching. He says that he cured his flinch by taking the amino acids, Glysine and Taurine. At first I was extremely skeptical; so then I did some research, and now I've decided to give the acids a try. The rest of Zutz's book looks very well done, so he does have crediblity.

Still, going to release triggers is a real option for me.

Randy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:34 am 
Field Grade

Same thing here, safe full of guns with pull triggers. I have some 1100’s and 390 with pulls. Buddy had a release for 390 that I borrowed and shot 300 or more rounds with it. Picked up one on another fourem. I shoot 20 in skeet mostly. The auto is a good way to see if you like it and I liked shooting them. They are very robotic the way they feel and natural, they seem to go off when everything looks right. Just did not work for me. Still have them just in case.
Good luck.
Thanks Bobby

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bws8044 wrote:
Same thing here, safe full of guns with pull triggers. I have some 1100’s and 390 with pulls. Buddy had a release for 390 that I borrowed and shot 300 or more rounds with it. Picked up one on another fourem. I shoot 20 in skeet mostly. The auto is a good way to see if you like it and I liked shooting them. They are very robotic the way they feel and natural, they seem to go off when everything looks right. Just did not work for me. Still have them just in case.
Good luck.
Thanks Bobby

Yeah, I like the 390 triggers better in both release and pull configuration than I do the 1100 triggers. But either will do for a test of release triggers for very little money outlay, and both can then be resold for little or no net loss of money if you don't want to keep them.

To my thinking, if you've got an 1100 or a 390 shotgun and suspect you might have a flinching problem, it's a no brainer to purchase a release trigger assembly for your gun and give it a try. Why waste all this time and energy speculating about what MIGHT work when you can find out for sure for very little investment in money.

Release triggers for both these guns (and the 391 also) are fairly commonly found for sale on that other shotgun website if you can tolerate the bullshxt and hoops you have to jump through to buy something there. Or, place a "wanted to buy" ad for one here on SGW. This is a much friendlier place and easier to deal with than that other site.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:40 am 
Presentation Grade

I shot yesterday. Unfortunately, the wind start howling as soon as I start, so I didn't shoot as many incomers as I would have liked. However, I went back to using my index finger as my trigger finger. Also, I kept my finger off the trigger until I was ready to shoot. I did not have one flinch, thankfully, though I didn't shoot enough rounds to be confident that I sort of cured my flinch. I will keep you folks posted. I ordered the amino acids that Donald Zutz recommends. I don't think they can do any harm. He says they worked for him, so who knows?

Randy