ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turkish SxS and O/U
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:24 am 
Limited Edition

First, this is not a bash Turkish guns thread.
I want to discuss what seems like the main issue (IMO) with SxS's and O/U's from Turkey.
I have owned a total of 6 Turkish guns, still own 2, will probably add another in the future.
3 of the 6 have suffered from light primer strikes, 2 were CZ's and 1 was an SKB that I presently own. The light primer strikes are random and might occur 2-3 times in 100 rounds.

I bought a new old stock CZ Ringneck that suffered from light strikes, I sent it to CZ and they said it couldn't be fixed and sent me a new Sharptail to replace it.

I owned a Huglu O/U 20ga and now own a SKB SxS 20ga that have been 100% reliable.

I recently sent in my SKB SxS 28ga for light primer strikes, they replaced the hammer springs and I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but will soon.

I wonder why the manufactures can't get this problem straightened out ?
I wonder what the problem really is ?
Have any Dickinson owners had this problem ?

I have seen problems with all name brand guns, Browning, Beretta, Benelli, Remington, etc. but they seem to be few and far between.

I really wish Turkish gun makers could get these problems fixed, seems like they are the only choice for new SxS's at $2000 or under.

Post subject: Re: Turkish SxS and O/U
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:39 am 
Diamond Grade

Why are you so invested in Turkish guns?? If they are troublesome and other shotguns (like the Browning/Beretta you mentioned) are better made and more reliable; why are you still bothering with them? Is it that you are a gambler by nature and by getting one that actually works and hold up you feel you are somehow a winner? I don't have the $ to waste or the patience to play that game, which is why I buy known quality. I don't understand your lament. If the Turkish companies can't get reliability and QC figured out, then don't buy them. It's really just that simple.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:50 am 
Crown Grade

I had no idea that SKB shotguns are no longer being made in Japan. I have one of the Ithaca SKB 20 GA O/U that was a Christmas present from my bride in 1968. It's still going strong in the upland fields and duck marshes. It was repaired by SKB once about 15 years ago for a lock-up problem - it would unlock & open upon firing. Hopefully, G. U. Inc (USA owner of SKB) will be able to fix your problem. They fixed mine in a timely & satisfactory manner 15 years ago.

Retired

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:26 am 
Limited Edition

twohigh wrote:
Why are you so invested in Turkish guns?? If they are troublesome and other shotguns (like the Browning/Beretta you mentioned) are better made and more reliable; why are you still bothering with them? Is it that you are a gambler by nature and by getting one that actually works and hold up you feel you are somehow a winner? I don't have the $ to waste or the patience to play that game, which is why I buy known quality. I don't understand your lament. If the Turkish companies can't get reliability and QC figured out, then don't buy them. It's really just that simple.

Mainly because there are no other new SxS shotguns that are affordable for a working man.
Everyone cant afford $5000 for a new shotgun.
I also don't want a worn out gun made in 1920, tried that also.
My 20ga SKB SxS is a beautiful shotgun that has never had the first problem.

If you want to buy one of the Turkish guns, you better go in knowing you might have a problem.

I have had to send a new Fabarm semi-auto back for warranty issues, and a Browning Citori also. There is a thread now of a Beretta having light primer strikes.
No gun made by man is immune, but as I said some brands have fewer problems.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:32 am 
Diamond Grade

The Beretta light primer strikes was an ammo problem. While any shotgun from any mfg'r can have a problem, it's a matter of the probability of that. I would rather save up and buy quality than waste money on one after another trying to find a diamond in a room full of cut glass.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:38 am 
Crown Grade

dubob wrote:
I had no idea that SKB shotguns are no longer being made in Japan. I have one of the Ithaca SKB 20 GA O/U that was a Christmas present from my bride in 1968. It's still going strong in the upland fields and duck marshes. It was repaired by SKB once about 15 years ago for a lock-up problem - it would unlock & open upon firing. Hopefully, G. U. Inc (USA owner of SKB) will be able to fix your problem. They fixed mine in a timely & satisfactory manner 15 years ago.

Those SKBs made in Japan were some great bargains on great guns. I Grouse hunted some with a 280 20ga it never gave me a problem. I still have a100 12ga.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:34 pm 
Crown Grade

jusanothajoe wrote:
twohigh wrote:

Mainly because there are no other new SxS shotguns that are affordable for a working man.

If you want to buy one of the Turkish guns, you better go in knowing you might have a problem.

I have had to send a new Fabarm semi-auto back for warranty issues, and a Browning Citori also. There is a thread now of a Beretta having light primer strikes.

My thought is if you can afford 6 or 7 cheap guns, you could afford 1 or 2 good guns. A used BSS isn’t that expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:51 pm 
Limited Edition

drawdc wrote:
jusanothajoe wrote:
twohigh wrote:

My thought is if you can afford 6 or 7 cheap guns, you could afford 1 or 2 good guns. A used BSS isn’t that expensive.

Lol 6-7 cheap guns ?
I guess it depends on what you call cheap and what isn't that expensive means.
A used BSS in good shape will cost around $2000 or more, and most aren't in that good a shape. If you look around in the used gun market, you will find that the majority of owners don't take good care of their guns. IMHO
I started the thread to ask if anyone had an opinion on the PROBLEM of light primer strikes, not so everyone could tell me not to ever buy a Turkish gun, but I expected this.
Would like to here from other SKB and Dickinson owners.
I haven't seen many problems talked about with these two brands, I do know about numerous problems with CZ guns.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:59 pm 
Crown Grade

I have the S&W Elite Gold, (now the Cabela's Dickinson) and have never had any issues with light strikes

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:11 pm 
Crown Grade

jusanothajoe wrote:
drawdc wrote:
jusanothajoe wrote:
[quote="twohigh"]Why are you so invested in Turkish guns?? If they are troublesome and other shotguns (like the Browning/Beretta you mentioned) are better made and more reliable; why are you still bothering with them? Is it that you are a gambler by nature and by getting one that actually works and hold up you feel you are somehow a winner? I don't have the $ to waste or the patience to play that game, which is why I buy known quality. I don't understand your lament. If the Turkish companies can't get reliability and QC figured out, then don't buy them. It's really just that simple.

Lol 6-7 cheap guns ?
I guess it depends on what you call cheap and what isn't that expensive means.
A used BSS in good shape will cost around $2000 or more, and most aren't in that good a shape. If you look around in the used gun market, you will find that the majority of owners don't take good care of their guns. IMHO
I started the thread to ask if anyone had an opinion on the PROBLEM of light primer strikes, not so everyone could tell me not to ever buy a Turkish gun, but I expected this.
Would like to here from other SKB and Dickinson owners.
I haven't seen many problems talked about with these two brands, I do know about numerous problems with CZ guns.[/quote]

Why not go to the Turkish gun section on I Love My..... You’ll probably get the support of your decisions you are looking for there. They can tell you about light strikes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

light hammer strikes might be around for a long time. They happen fairly often on Browning lower barrels, On Winchester SX1, Mossberg 500, just went through it with a Japanese SKB M700 O/U. Some guns just more prone to it than others. Remington 1100 and 870 are pretty much rock solid on ignition, but I have had those not fire occasionally also. You just have to figure it out when it happens. The cause can be short firing pin, light hammer spring, dirt, burr on firing pin, even the firing pin return spring getting weak can cause it, that was what happened on my SKB 700. Not too long after I fixed that the hammer broke, now it has to go to the gunsmith.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:45 am 
Limited Edition

"Why not go to the Turkish gun section on I Love My..... You’ll probably get the support of your decisions you are looking for there. They can tell you about light strikes."

Wow, Support for my decisions ? Hahaha........ didn't even know I asked for that ?
I don't need yours or anyone's support for the way I spend MY money.
Why not move on to another thread ? You have nothing to add here.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:17 am 
Diamond Grade

JoeCool wrote:
l The cause can be short firing pin, light hammer spring, dirt, burr on firing pin, even the firing pin return spring getting weak can cause it, that was what happened on my SKB 700.

Another fail-to-fire cause I had on one of my Beretta O/U. There is piece used in many doubles called a cocking shoe or cocking foot, that rotates on small shaft and pushes the hammer back when the action is opened and thus cocks the gun. There is a spring that holds it in proper neutral position when not being used to cock the hammers. That spring broke, and let the foot get into any position gravity wanted to take it, and in wrong position hammer has to not only move the firing pin, but it also has to move that shoe/foot during hammer fall. This caused fail to fire pretty often. There are a lot of things to go wrong in there. Then you got the mechanism for barrel switch over that can keep you firing the second barrel when that is not cooperating. I went through that quite a bit also with my SKB 700. I had to replace the spring in the inertia block (called a connector by SKB) with a lighter/weaker spring that let the block swing back more easy. Also had that problem in a Beretta O/U. Yep, fail to fire is probably here to stay.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:26 am 
Field Grade

I have two CZ SXS guns and have never had a problem with light primer strikes. My 16ga Ringneck that I bought in 2006 developed a problem of not switching to the other barrel after the first shot. This was after a few months of shooting sporting clays with it weekly. Returned to CZ for repair and they replaced the gun. The replacement shot well for years including a few years of heavy use(5000 or more rounds) until this past March at a shoot the under lug came loose and disabled the gun. Took it to a gunsmith for repairs and it is back in action.
My 28ga G2 Bobwhite that I got last year has become my favorite gun to shoot because I shoot better with it than would be expected. The front trigger was pretty heavy at first but has worn in to be just fine.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:44 am 
Presentation Grade

Within any class of gun, budget, premium, custom, etc., after fit, I would give priority to purchasing a brand having their warranty service center close to my house. They all break without exception. Or, if you prefer, they all malfunction. If not every single gun, for sure ever brand and model. Your best bet for satisfaction is being able to carry the gun right into the warranty shop. No shipping. No long turnaround. So if you live in San Antonio, a Beretta from Cole’s is your best bet, assuming proper fit. And so on. It is worth it to have that convenient protection. Of course I have learned this the hard way. Do as I say, not as I do.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:05 am 
Diamond Grade

JoeCool wrote:
light hammer strikes might be around for a long time. They happen fairly often on Browning lower barrels,

On Brownings (as has been discussed here many, many times) the cause of the "light strikes" (failure to fire) is typically due to damage to the firing pins due to pierced primers on loads or reloads using hard, brittle (inferior) primers. Most regular Browning shooters know to either stay away from those loads/primers, or, if they insist on using them, to keep spare firing pins readily available. Since the Browning design way predates the use of hard, brittle, ferrous primers, I see this problem being an ammo one and not a gun one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:38 am 
Limited Edition

Thanks to those that have real world experience that answered.
I will probably add a 12ga SKB SxS in the future and would like to hear from any SKB owners.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

aren't light strikes something a number of brands are plagued with? I remember reading the 725 had a bunch of issues with this and was super particular about which brand of shells worked for folks.

I have a CZ and fingers crossed have not had any issues with failure to fires from light strikes and I use the cheapest shells I can get.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

bozack wrote:
aren't light strikes something a number of brands are plagued with? I remember reading the 725 had a bunch of issues with this and was super particular about which brand of shells worked for folks.

I have a CZ and fingers crossed have not had any issues with failure to fires from light strikes and I use the cheapest shells I can get.

I have no problem finding inexpensive Federal, Remington or Estate shells which have primers that are not hard and brittle. I just need to stay away from cheap Euro ammo and instead buy American made ammo. I have no problem with that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jusanothajoe wrote:
Thanks to those that have real world experience that answered.
I will probably add a 12ga SKB SxS in the future and would like to hear from any SKB owners.

Hi,

The new SKB SxS guns are the same manufacturer as makes the Dickinson SxS - AKUS. My 20ga Dickinson has never failed to fire or eject hulls in the 7 years I've owned it.