ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon May 17, 2021 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Best sporting clay chokes to purchase
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Briley is my personal fave but 1) I shoot a Remington and 2) Potayto, potahto. Everyone likes different things.

For choke constrictions on SC, every gun is different, but personally in my guns I like mostly IC and LM. I sometimes shoot Mod as well but that's rare.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

JacksBack wrote:
Nope. Mods for most and Sk's for close. A F or LF for way out there. And learn to center.

I don’t understand the advice, “Learn to center.” Of course centering is fundamental to maximizing target hits. But what do you think everybody is already doing, trying to just wing the clay, hit it with one pellet from the edge of the pattern? Of course they are trying to center the pattern on the target. As for learning to do it, well that depends upon talent, skill, dedication, practice, and so on. You don’t just get a book to tell you the magic formula for a centered shot. Put another way, people are doing the best that they can according to their time, interest, budget and so on.

Now if you said, “Learn to center as well as you possibly can,” that I could agree with even though the advice would still be obvious.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

TBH I'm of the opinion that a F or LF, or even something like an IM, is WAY too tight for the average casual SC shooter. At least in my area, which is about 3-4 courses, there's nothing you can't break with a Light Mod. Sometimes having a Mod makes it a little bit easier but you'd have to be picky to notice a big difference.

That having been said, this is just speaking for my particular comp gun at the courses in my area.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Oh.. I have 2 cents to offer. I'm a mid level shooter. I've found that for 95% of what I shoot in the Texas gulf coast and at Nationals, LM is the ticket. When I shoot I carry a SK and an IM just in case. I think your $$ is better spent on targets and ammo and lessons as the factory Beretta chokes are pretty good. I shoot Briley chokes mostly because I have friends at Briley. Keep in mind Briley produces many of the OEM chokes we leave in the box and replace with expensive alternatives.

I think your approach of patterning makes sense. There is a lot of voodoo to this and real data is a better than word of mouth. I tend to think choice of shell and its velocity has more of an impact on the pattern quality than the tube itself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

gn4hir wrote:
I tend to think choice of shell and its velocity has more of an impact on the pattern quality than the tube itself.

{hs#

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:54 pm 
Limited Edition

RUT wrote:
>>That "LM" tube in time will become a favorite tube for you. At least it has for me<<

Ditto that.......

Yup. I shoot sporting with LM in both tubes usually.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

I use Briley...they mic’d my bore and then matched the choke to the bore for a set of custom constrictions...so I have the confidence of knowing that all of my Briley chokes are The correct constriction to the bore...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

mark-60 wrote:
RUT wrote:
>>That "LM" tube in time will become a favorite tube for you. At least it has for me<<

Ditto that.......

Yup. I shoot sporting with LM in both tubes usually.

I did just that today in my first SC outing with my new-to-me Browning BSS. Used Skeet II (LM) chokes in both sides. Did very well and had more fun than I have had with a gun in ages. Shooters around our squad would eyeball the cart, stop and want to check out the gun. :)

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (finally got firing pin after seven months)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
JacksBack wrote:
Nope. Mods for most and Sk's for close. A F or LF for way out there. And learn to center.

I don’t understand the advice, “Learn to center.” Of course centering is fundamental to maximizing target hits. But what do you think everybody is already doing, trying to just wing the clay, hit it with one pellet from the edge of the pattern? Of course they are trying to center the pattern on the target. As for learning to do it, well that depends upon talent, skill, dedication, practice, and so on. You don’t just get a book to tell you the magic formula for a centered shot. Put another way, people are doing the best that they can according to their time, interest, budget and so on.

Now if you said, “Learn to center as well as you possibly can,” that I could agree with even though the advice would still be obvious.

You can’t learn to center with sloppy chokes.

Make Sporting Clays Great Again - MANDATORY DOWNCLASSING!

Primary Gun-K80 w/factory titanium chokes
Backup Gun-Browning BPS
Subgauge Gun-K80 w/Carrier Barrels
Ammo-Whatever is On Sale at 1200fps or less
All chokes M(agic)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:08 am 
Utility Grade

I use Beretta extended chokes as they give a little protection to the barrel end and I can see what I've got in, I also like the look of them. I still have my flush chokes in the abs case we get this side of the pond. The extendeds and key are in my Napier gun slip. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Whatever chokes you decide on shoot them at a pattern plate at different yardages with your preferred loads to check their performance. You'd be surprised at what different loads can do in different chokes. Don't agonize over it, just look for patterns that may be too sparse or too small or non concentric.

Youtube

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just today I shot in a tournament where I thought I had in a modified choke in. I was shooting at about 45-50 yard targets with 1-1/8 oz 12 ga loads. Hit all four report pairs.

Took the choke out on another station, found out I had IC in.

Just goes to show that sometimes chokes are much more flexible and capable than some people think. I've literally heard people calling BS on people shooting 60 yard birds with a Modified 20 gauge using 7/8 oz loads, but it's actually easier than most people think.

I know people are going to call BS on the above, but I am speaking from personal experience as a competitive shooter and has actually done these things.