Shotgun Forum banner

Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge

59K views 212 replies 47 participants last post by  dubob 
#1 ·
It has finally been shipped. What I requested was a 26 inch walnut, what was shipped was a 28 inch black synthetic. :? The synthetic models were the first to arrive, the walnut models are following in about two weeks.

It has been a long time since I've had a new 20 gauge autoloader to go through, so I'm really looking forward to it.

#102 ·
Kudos..Thanks for the review, Randy! It was exactly what I was waiting for. It is going to make my decision easier because of some of the things that you covered! I am going to buy a Masai Mara in 20ga.!
I'm just not sure which flavor it's going to be!,
Mike

#104 ·
RandyWakeman said:

Although all walnut is unique, above is a Bronze Pure Grade 2.

This is a Bronze Pure Grade 4.
Those are sure nice looking guns IMO. Apparently work pretty well, too. Definitely a contender for someone in the market I would think. Based on looks and Randy`s eval, it would be for me, although I might wait a bit for some comments from the field.

#107 ·
#111 ·
47MolineRTU said:
Ordered an Extra Black upland today, only concern i really have is long term parts availability.
What parts? The whole idea going back six years or so was to have a line of modular guns with no parts that need regular replacement. For example, the Inertia plus action is the same bolt whether you have a 3 inch Masai Mara 12 ga., a Warden, a Gordion, or some of the models not available in the U.S., like the Antalya.

There are no action bars, there is no gas piston / o-rings, no barrel ports, etc., etc. Retay is a Retay, not just another generic import slapped into a different box. They have very little reliance on vendors, for they machine the complete gun in house, they deep drill their own barrels, they hard-solder their own ribs, they make their own stocks (both walnut and plastic), they machine their own choke tubes, and they even mold their own cases.

#113 ·
Retay is already 15 years old. While there is no guarantee that there will be anything in perpetuity, their position is vibrantly solid. This is in stack contrast to the little-known or unknown companies that just make whatever for whoever as long as they are the lowest bidder. Savage, Weatherby, Traditions, Mossberg, Winchester, and Remington Spartan are examples.

#118 ·
Rack-N-Roy said:
I would buy the grade 4 model if it looked like the picture Randy posted but, I'm not spending the extra $$$ sight unseen gambling on luck of the draw. I want pick of the litter.
Of course.

Well, I have a polished Jet Black Grade 4 20 gauge coming. It is actually easier today than ever before-- who doesn't have a cell phone to snap pictures? Premium wood sets alone sell for $1250 - $1500 from Cole Gunsmithing for the A400: https://www.shop.colegun.com/collection ... -sets/a400 .

#119 ·
That's fine & dandy Randy. Maybe you could give us some links where Retay dealers are opening boxes, snapping pic's and letting us mere mortals choose grade 4 guns. I tried two who only post stock photos in their ad and they wouldn't show me the litter.

Randy, enjoy the benefits of being connected with the industry. I'm sure your gun is a real beauty and being yours is 20ga maybe my 12ga pick of the liter is out there somewhere.

#120 ·
Rack-N-Roy said:
That's fine & dandy Randy.
The major gun shops in this area have thousands of guns on display. Countless sellers on Gunbroker photograph the exact article offered. Some dealers that offer product here on SGW post photographs of the exact item offered. sclagg is an example, https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 4&t=523030 .

Whether Orvis, Cole Gunsmithing, Joe Etchen, August Crocker, and so on, getting images of the exact article isn't novel at all. It goes almost without saying, if you don't use a local dealer, or a full service dealer such as those mentioned, you get whatever the fates decide you get . . . regardless of brand.

#122 ·
Comparatively few autoloading shotguns are offered with high grade walnut at all. Many are not offered with authentic walnut, period. For some, it is either plastic or fake (a.k.a. 'enhanced') cratewood. Anyone can consider a Browning Maxus Ultimate ($1,979.99) or an A5 Hunter High Grade ($1899.99 MSRP). Does someone here think those models come with truly high grade walnut? Yet, neither the Maxus or the A5 is offered in 20 gauge in any configuration at any price.

Regardless, if you're waiting for your local F&F to have assorted high grade shotguns in stock for you to finger, you're going to be waiting. It is all about the wood, not the model. It is not possible for anyone to know what model they want, what gauge, what barrel length, etc., so stocking Grade 4 models makes no sense.

The easy solution is to order the wood directly from Retay USA.

#123 ·
Picked up my extra black and brought home to find the cylinder choke damaged, dented from the factory. Whoever decided it was a good idea to wrap stickers around every choke should be punished.
Disappointed in QC.
Taking out to shoot skeet tomorrow hopefully that will not disappoint as well.

Spoke to Retay Customer service this morning they are sending new choke, very happy with quick response.

Attachments

#124 ·
Shot 3 rounds of skeet(75 rounds) without any issues except the charging handle popping out, but was my fault as I was pushing it flush with the bolt were the detent is about a 1/4 inch out from flush with the bolt, once I made sure it was in the detent no further issues. Anyone else's charging handle seem too long? Almost like I have a 12ga bolt handle?
Recoil was negligible, seemed to swing well.
The flashing on synthetic stock will need sanded as there is a lip around the forearm and buttstock.
Took completely apart to clean and sprayed out the trigger group and decocked / recocked hammer and it was really gritty, so took the trigger group apart. The main hammer spring channel has a covering of grit on the bottom, scraped clean with a punch, then used a qtip to get it the rest of the way clean.
Retay is sending me parts to fix the charging handle as well so their customer service really stepped up to make it right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.