Shotgun Forum banner

Need New Stock for Model 37 - 1938

5K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  drcook 
#1 ·
I picked up a gorgeous 16 gauge Model 37 1938 production. Bluing is as deep and blue as any of my guns that cost far more money. Forend is in great condition as well but gun has two issues. The first issue is unfixable which is in the form of a Polychoke (the worst thing to happen to beautiful American field guns in th 20th century). The second is the stock is a mess. It has an enormous crack and large chip missing and requires replacement. I could go new but would prefer older if available.

Is the 16 gauge stock the same size as stock used on 12 and 20? Can anyone recommend a source for new or used replacement stock for a 37 of that vintage? I didn't know if there was a source or a gunsmith who may have accumulated some Ithaca parts and wood over the years.

#27 ·
Alleycat said:
Per drcook advice I soaked stock in acetone bath for 4 days, pulled it and sanded lightly with 320 grit sandpaper. I'm going to repair 2 sizable cracks with Gorilla Glue (as done in Midway video) clamp and clean up glue areas (Goriilla glue is sandable). Plan is to use tinted Acraglass bedding compound to build damaged areas back up and sand. Going with several coats of true oil with a 0000 Steel wool buffing between coats. I appreciate the tips on the talented stock guys. If this was the stock on one of my finer guns I would certainly send it their way for professional repair but I think I can handle the repair on this gun and maintain the field gun pedigree that it has. I'm not striving for perfection here, only trying to learn and give something that was is very old and cool, another lease on life. I'll post some pics after the Holiday when I return home.
Do you have a belt sander? I shutter to think of Acraglass on the exterior. Replacing with wood is just as easy if you have a sander. I would be more then happy to send you the little bit of wood you would need if you don't have access to walnut.

#28 ·
I would love to go the walnut route but I don't have a grasp on how to configure the bottom of the walnut piece (the side that mates with the damaged area) so that it fits the contour of the exposed damaged wood surface. I can certainly handle knocking down the top (surface) of the new walnut piece to match contour of stock after its glued in.

#29 ·
You just make it flat. So that you are gluing a flat piece to a flat piece. The 2 pieces will have to have an absolutely tight joint surface otherwise you will be left with a not so nice looking line all around the new piece.

That is why sometimes (depending on the value of the gun, how bad the stock is, etc) it works just to fix it with Acraglas that is dyed to the same color that you will stain the gun.

The correct way to fix a stock is not always the best way. It doesn't make sense to send a stock to someone to get repaired when that repair will cost more than the gun ever can be sold for and for a gun that has no family/sentimental connections.

Unless you are very skilled at inletting it in, the grain is always going to mismatch.

I have one here that I fixed with Acraglas as well as others that I glued the chips back on (I had the chips).

In order to match the grain you are going to have to go to either use a bigger piece which ends up intruding into the cutout (which you will have to restore) or use a couple small pieces very carefully fit together.

Get the crack fixed first and the rest of the oil leached out before committing on a way to go.

here are some videos to help you make a decision

#31 ·
I have some 16ga stocks that I would sell. I do NOT have a pre-war one though. Let me know if you are interested.

One of them is a late 50's early 60's but has cut checkering. It has never been on a gun outside the house. It was in the wrapper when I acquired it. I have test fit it to a gun.

One issue you are probably going to have is the length of the tang on the back of the trigger pack. Being an early gun, it will be a long tang.

At this point I don't know/remember if the long tangs will work with newer stocks.

PM me if you are interested.
Do you still have a 16ga stock available