Shotgun Forum banner

Opinion about Fabarm L4S

18K views 83 replies 20 participants last post by  Tidefanatic 
#1 ·
Hello soon I will buy a semi-automatic Fabarm L4S shotgun. The fact is that I was looking for a shotgun O/U to hunt but these exceeded my budget so put in talking with my gunsmith he told me he had a semiautomatic shotgun Fabarm brand and model L4S that I left pretty well priced for having some marks (lowercase) on the wood. I would like to know your opinion on this shotgun that has an excellent appearance. I like that it has a magnum chamber, can use cartridges with steel shot, its lightness and good face. I would pray to anyone who has experience with this shotgun that shares its experiences in this thread. Thank you,

Tiguan.

#52 ·
Tiguan16 said:
The same is for the expansion of the metal. Today I cleaned mine after several days without dipping and the barrel came off effortlessly.
Metal expansion during shooting. Should have thought of that. I`ll bet that`s it. I, too, do not see any difficulty in removing the barrel if the metal`s " cold ".

#53 ·
Tidefanatic said:
Tiguan16 said:
The same is for the expansion of the metal. Today I cleaned mine after several days without dipping and the barrel came off effortlessly.
Metal expansion during shooting. Should have thought of that. I`ll bet that`s it. I, too, do not see any difficulty in removing the barrel if the metal`s " cold ".
I think that will be it.

#57 ·
At first I didn't know what to do on the difficulty of removing the barrel after shooting in order to clean it. I finally got it to come off the receiver but it took some pulling. From then on I sprayed Safari Charlie (non petroleum based) which is quick drying on the tang, top and bottom. No more barrel removal problems.

#58 ·
Tiguan16 said:
fatguywithafirearm said:
Still one of the softest shooting shotguns I've ever owned. Took mine out to the local 5 Stand today to warm her up for Dove season. Shot 20, 21,21, and 23, this thing is a dove killing machine.
Nice hanger and beautiful shotgun. My perception is that it has more recoil than the other semi-automatic ones that I used at least with the 34 gram cartridge that I shot.

Tiguan.
34 grms. is a heavy load for a 6 1/4 lb. shotgun. You can add weight, front and rear, to help with the recoil from Fabarm. Screw on weights on the forearm and screw in weight in the buttstock will help along with a KICK-EEZ recoil pad.

#63 ·
There is no real answer. 34 grams is 1.19931 oz., less than the common and classic American hunting load of 1-1/4 oz. Whether that is a heavy load or not is whatever some chooses to call it. It is a heavy dove load, but hardly heavy for wild pheasant or even pigeon. What some might call a stiff load in a fixed breech shotgun isn't at all heavy for a gas auto.

The "wood density" myth is something I've heard of for years, but have never witnessed. With multiple examples of Browning / Beretta etc. etc. walnut stocked guns, I've never seen a difference of more an ounce.

The same goes with the L4S. I own two, have tested many, and shot even more. In the case of L4S Initial Hunters, Grey Hunters, and Deluxe Hunters with 26 inch barrels, they have all been right at 6-3/4 lbs.

#64 ·
I just did a brief pattern of my (new to me) 26" L4s hunter. I got a great deal from BruceRide (A+ guy) on one with 13 1/2" LOP which fits me well. I shoot pheasants in southern Wi.

It's about half a pound heavier than my 30" Ithaca Model 37 but is less muzzle heavy so at 6 3/4 pounds it's nice to carry. First day out with the new gun the dog manages to cut his foreleg up pretty good and we returned immediately for 5 stitches. He's fine except he's begging to get back out there and he need another week to heal up completely. He's reckless in pursuit of a bird in the brush.

Because of club rules and time restrictions I was limited in my pattern testing today at 50 yards (farther than I would take a shot) but I found
1. It shoots where I look, I am very pleased. Perhaps a hair low but that could be my mount.
2. Fiocci Golden Pheasant- I had not lit any of these off before. The F4s soaks it up just fine. I would not care to put one of those through my Model 37 as it's vintage 1946 and has a hard rubber butt pad.
3. Regular ol Herter's No.5 1220 fps grouped very evenly and was very light on the shoulder. It's what I have been using but it's clearly dated and time to upgrade now that I have a gun that can handle it without making my shoulder purple.
4. No. 5 and No. 9 chokes appeared to group roughly the same with a nod to the No.9 but a clear reminder that 50 yards way far out there. Proper patterning should be done when I get organized.

It's a beauty. I like the Hunter because it's clearly got superior quality in the machined parts, the wood is nice enough yet it's not so dear that I would not take it in to the rough.

We'll get out next week and beat the bushes for more birds.

**Update- good dog flushed a snow pheasant and I was startled and took a bad first shot, then the L4s forearm would not pump a new shell in to the chamber for 2 or 3 seconds until I recalled that ... it's an automatic.

#65 ·
Hello, it happened to me a couple of times with the Fabarm. The fact is that when I shoot the first cartridge it jams because the third cartridge comes out of the ammunition deposit, trapping the second cartridge which is the cartridge that should be raised by the elevator and dragged to the chamber. I have thought that I have been able to cause the interruption by pressing the button that works with "kick off" without realizing what the normal automation cycle occurs and the cartridge in the warehouse catches the one that was in the elevator causing the interruption . I don't know if I have explained myself.

#66 ·
Tiguan16 said:
Hello, it happened to me a couple of times with the Fabarm. The fact is that when I shoot the first cartridge it jams because the third cartridge comes out of the ammunition deposit, trapping the second cartridge which is the cartridge that should be raised by the elevator and dragged to the chamber. I have thought that I have been able to cause the interruption by pressing the button that works with "kick off" without realizing what the normal automation cycle occurs and the cartridge in the warehouse catches the one that was in the elevator causing the interruption . I don't know if I have explained myself.
Yes it can happen. The bolt is probably not coming all the way rearward to release the spent hull from the ejector port. Now, what can cause that.....gun is not clean or the action parts are not lubed with CLP, Slick 2000, Safari Charlie, etc. or light loads and low velocities or the gas piston is not moving freely up and down the mag. tube or the 2 gas ports in the muzzle are clogged or maybe just one of them. Frustrating, I know, but try and look in these areas to solve the problem.

#67 ·
Hi, thank you for you answer. I usually clean the shotgun after each hunting day and then lubricate it properly. My problem, I think, occurred when I activated the button that, when pressed, extracts a cartridge from the ammunition deposit and remains on the elevator. This system allows the cartridge to be manually extracted from the chamber by activating the carriage and if we activate the carriage a second time, the carriage, the cartridge that remains on the elevator goes up to the chamber. I imagine that this system allows you to have a cartridge of different weights that you carry in the warehouse if the piece to be knocked down is larger or the shooting distance is greater or less. The problem comes for example if when facing the weapon you press this button and shoot. Here the mechanism works differently. But there is an obstacle, the cartridge that was removed when the button was pressed. When the cartridge that remains in the ammunition store is fired, it comes out meeting the cartridge that remained in the elevator and then the interruption occurs. The shell of the fired cartridge comes out perfectly but no cartridge rises to the chamber and I had to use a knife to eliminate the interruption. The next hunting day I will force the interruption. Thank you.

#69 ·
Tiguan16 said:
Hi, thank you for you answer. I usually clean the shotgun after each hunting day and then lubricate it properly. My problem, I think, occurred when I activated the button that, when pressed, extracts a cartridge from the ammunition deposit and remains on the elevator. This system allows the cartridge to be manually extracted from the chamber by activating the carriage and if we activate the carriage a second time, the carriage, the cartridge that remains on the elevator goes up to the chamber. I imagine that this system allows you to have a cartridge of different weights that you carry in the warehouse if the piece to be knocked down is larger or the shooting distance is greater or less. The problem comes for example if when facing the weapon you press this button and shoot. Here the mechanism works differently. But there is an obstacle, the cartridge that was removed when the button was pressed. When the cartridge that remains in the ammunition store is fired, it comes out meeting the cartridge that remained in the elevator and then the interruption occurs. The shell of the fired cartridge comes out perfectly but no cartridge rises to the chamber and I had to use a knife to eliminate the interruption. The next hunting day I will force the interruption. Thank you.
Tiguan, Andrew (lead gunsmith for Fabarm) at the US Nationals told me NOT to press the button to upload a shell from the mag. tube into the loading gate. The gun is designed to cycle properly without manually moving that shell from the mag. tube into the loading gate so that the lifter can then move it up into the chamber when the gun was fired on the preceding shell.

#70 ·
4th. down said:
Tiguan16 said:
Tiguan, Andrew (lead gunsmith for Fabarm) at the US Nationals told me NOT to press the button to upload a shell from the mag. tube into the loading gate. The gun is designed to cycle properly without manually moving that shell from the mag. tube into the loading gate so that the lifter can then move it up into the chamber when the gun was fired on the preceding shell.
Thanks for your reply. What would then be the function of that button?

#72 ·
4th. down said:
Tiguan16 said:
I thought all autoloaders were designed to cycle properly without that step.

#73 ·
RandyWakeman said:
Tiguan16 said:
Thanks for your reply. What would then be the function of that button?
To hold the bolt open.

https://fabarmusa.com/wp-content/upload ... manual.pdf
All clear, but my problem was that when facing the shotgun that button had to be pressed with the clothes since that button is on the side of the body. I note that this button should not be used other than to leave the latch open.

#75 ·
Thanks for posting that review, Randy.

Why, the Italians are just dominating the American market for higher end semiautomatic shotguns is shown by the review.

First, it's a gorgeous gun, that weighs less than seven pounds, and well balanced.

It will eat any reasonable load a proud owner would feed it, and it shuts with a ring like a church bell. It's gas operated, so as to take the bite out of shooting it. What a nice bird gun.

If it said Remington on the barrel, it would weigh a pound and a half more, and the buyer would balk if the price was over $500.

The closet thing I own to that are several older fixed choke Ithaca Model 37s before they went over to three inch receiver guns, or my 1958 Light Twelve with a plain round barrel.

No wonder Fabarm can charge and get close to two thousand for such a nice shotgun.

#76 ·
RandyWakeman said:

This is an overview of the L4S Initial Hunter I did over five years ago.

It is easy and no, you do not use your clothes. Start watching at 1:06.
I wanted to say that perhaps when lifting the shotgun to face me with the clothes I accidentally activated the button in question, producing the interruption.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.