ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A recoil question just for the sake of knowing.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DEG wrote:
drawdc wrote:

I'm not a trap shooter, so I can't argue with your premise that 1 ounce loads will decrease your scores. That is definitely not true for skeet and there are 10 or so pages on the sporting clays forum about whether it is true for sporting.

All else being equal, reducing shot will reduce scores regardless of the game. How much it reduces it will depend on how often you center the target in the pattern. It may cost you one out of 100 targets or one out of 1000, but the reduced payload will cost you targets.

But that's just it. Everything else ISN'T equal. So we can't make the blanket statement that reducing shot load will automatically reduce scores. In some shooters, it might increase their scores due to the fact that they may flinch less, stay in the gun better, and be less tired during the later part of the round than if they were shooting the heavier recoiling heavy loads.

So, the correct answer for the average shooter or general public is that the effect of changing loads depends on the individual shooter. For some it may increase their scores and for others it may decrease their scores.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Ulysses wrote:
DEG wrote:
drawdc wrote:

I'm not a trap shooter, so I can't argue with your premise that 1 ounce loads will decrease your scores. That is definitely not true for skeet and there are 10 or so pages on the sporting clays forum about whether it is true for sporting.

All else being equal, reducing shot will reduce scores regardless of the game. How much it reduces it will depend on how often you center the target in the pattern. It may cost you one out of 100 targets or one out of 1000, but the reduced payload will cost you targets.

But that's just it. Everything else ISN'T equal. So we can't make the blanket statement that reducing shot load will automatically reduce scores. In some shooters, it might increase their scores due to the fact that they may flinch less, stay in the gun better, and be less tired during the later part of the round than if they were shooting the heavier recoiling heavy loads.

So, the correct answer for the average shooter or general public is that the effect of changing loads depends on the individual shooter. For some it may increase their scores and for others it may decrease their scores.

The correct answer for the "average shooter or general public" is that a reduction in payload will result in lower scores. A very small minority of shooters who are so recoil sensitive that an extra 1/8 oz of shot causes them to flinch or pull their head off the gun may see a benefit but this is not the average shooter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Ulysses wrote:
DEG wrote:
drawdc wrote:

Sorry about going round and round with you earlier. You are spot on with this.

Recoil effect doesn’t necessarily result in pain and flinching. It is the equivalent of body punches in boxing. It can wear on shooters without them realizing it. Making blanket statements like a lower load will cost you targets is nonsense and unprovable. Recoil fatigue can easily cost you more. It depends on the shooter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One can turn a 50 yd clay to dust w/ a 12b 1 oz load thru a Mod choke. I don;t do it every time , but I do it enough to know that it isn't a fluke.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:58 am 
Crown Grade

sera wrote:
One can turn a 50 yd clay to dust w/ a 12b 1 oz load thru a Mod choke. I don;t do it every time , but I do it enough to know that it isn't a fluke.

That does not mean anything. No one is arguing that you can't break a target with a reduced payload, because it only takes a few pellets to create a visible chip.

However, it's not logical to believe that every target you miss when shooting a reduced payload would also be a miss if you had an extra 1/8 oz of shot in the pattern. There will absolutely be times when those extra pellet's will be enough to give you a visible chip and very few people are so recoil sensitive that the extra payload will influence their shooting.

In skeet, competitors can shoot light 20 gauge in the 12 gauge events, but only a few do this because they know their odds of breaking more targets with 1 1/8 oz, vs 7/8 or 3/4 oz, is much greater.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I disagree. When shooting heavy loads , I get tired and lose concentration. That is a negative trade off that I am not willing to make.

YMMV

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

This is why I love gas operated semi-automatics - you can shoot heavier loads and still get less recoil than the light loads shot through over-unders. Big generalization, I know, but ya gotta admit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:46 pm 
Utility Grade

May i suggest a Wild Hare shooting vest with a Shock Ease pad.

Recoil not much of an issue for me with this vest on.