ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lesser used choke combo for doubles?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi Everyone. I was given a Briley choke set by a friend, and a couple are missing (sold with his gun...). I know these are good chokes, and wanted to try shooting doubles soon at the local spot.

My usual 16yd singles choke is IM, and I would like to use a IM/F combo for doubles. The F is missing, but I have the LF. Would IM/LF be a suitable doubles choke combo? I haven't heard much on the LF, so please fill me in.

Thanks, JS

Post subject: Re: Lesser used choke combo for doubles?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Have you hit the pattern plate? LF is most likely about .035 versus .040 for Full.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

most of the guys I know that shoot doubles use a lot more open chokes than that.
your first bird is shot at about 25yds if your a little slow.
the second one is generally shot at about the same distance as your single targets are.
I had to shoot doubles with I/M-Full for years since I had fixed chokes, but as soon as I had the opportunity I switched to modified/modified, and have considered something more like I/C-LM.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I shoot LIM Krieghoff #2.5) for the first target and still use the full (Kgun #4) for target #2. Works well not only for me, but for many registered shooters. Enough choke to be able to comfortably shoot with control and not have to hurry. Those that do shoot fast including some All Americans use more open chokes, but the best of the best still use IM & F or M & F. They make 2 soot balls so fast it seems impossible.

Maltz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:10 am 
Tournament Grade

I would say that Modified and the Light Full should work for you without having to rush your shots.

Improved Modified would be a little too tight for my (sloppy) shooting at the first target.