ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Advices for a beginner
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

This seems like a remarkably contentious thread where we don't really disagree that much.

My point was not that #8 was optimal, only that at close ranges (like pretty much any in-home space) it's more important to have shot than what size shot you have.

The comment in the referenced article about overpenetration is also relevant. If you're at all concerned about what might be on the other side of the wall behind the intruder steering clear of slugs and 00Buck (even though they get a lot of publicity) makes a lot of sense.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:14 am 
Tournament Grade

Just gonna throw my two cents in here.

I spent time in the Army as an Infantryman during the GWOT era 04/05, so I have some experience with CQC, CQB, MOUT, whatever you want to call it.

IMHO you're better off with a pistol, preferably with a light on it. Shooting a 12ga with an 18" barrel inside of a house, possibly in the dark, in tight quarters, with the potential for friendlies in the AO, isn't my idea of a good time.

Once again, this is just my humble opinion having some experience in this stuff.

I would also highly suggest taking some classes, if you're not familiar with either platform (shotgun or pistol).

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:25 am 
Presentation Grade

Novak77 wrote:
Just gonna throw my two cents in here.

I spent time in the Army as an Infantryman during the GWOT era 04/05, so I have some experience with CQC, CQB, MOUT, whatever you want to call it.

IMHO you're better off with a pistol, preferably with a light on it. Shooting a 12ga with an 18" barrel inside of a house, possibly in the dark, in tight quarters, with the potential for friendlies in the AO, isn't my idea of a good time.

Once again, this is just my humble opinion having some experience in this stuff.

I would also highly suggest taking some classes, if you're not familiar with either platform (shotgun or pistol).

Cheers

Good point and thank you for sharing. My concern is my entry way is right in line from my room to another room where my son sleeps when he is in town. Assuming of course Mr. Bad Guy comes through the front door area. I have zero doubts that rounds from a big load will go through the wall and hit him while he is in bed. I realize not all houses are aligned like that but unintended consequences can occur as you state.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Anything more powerful than a Red Rider BB gun will penetrate 2 layers of 5/8 sheet rock.

Wall penetration is not something you should ever consider when selecting self-defense firearm or ammo. The ability to use that firearm to stop a lethal threat before the threat stops you should be the only consideration.

Wall penetration should be part of the risk assessment you do anytime you bring the arm to bear and make a decision whether or not to fire.