ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 870 slug barrels- smooth bore,rifled barrel, or rifled tube?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:02 am 
Field Grade

Looking for opinions on best options here. I have an old 20" Wingmaster smoothbore with rifled sights, but am wondering if its worth it to buy a fully rifled or a rifled tube barrel? My Wingmaster is 2 3/4" 12 ga and shooting distance is never really greater than 50 yards. Also, the fully rifled barrels also accomodate 3" shells, so I wondered if shooting 2 3/4" slugs would lesson the accuracy out of that barrel? Thanks,

Post subject: Re: 870 slug barrels- smooth bore,rifled barrel, or rifled t
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

sgc wrote:
Looking for opinions on best options here. I have an old 20" Wingmaster smoothbore with rifled sights, but am wondering if its worth it to buy a fully rifled or a rifled tube barrel? My Wingmaster is 2 3/4" 12 ga and shooting distance is never really greater than 50 yards. Also, the fully rifled barrels also accomodate 3" shells, so I wondered if shooting 2 3/4" slugs would lesson the accuracy out of that barrel? Thanks,

Buy some rifled slugs and shoot the barrel you have. Your set up should be good at 50 yards and probably a bit farther. Slugs can be hard to find right now, so it may be hard to find different slugs to sight your gun in. I have sighted in a good number of slug guns with rifled slugs, most will shoot to about 75 yards before they start to drop like a rock.

If you decide you need a fully rifled barrel with a 3" chamber, it will not lessen the accuracy with 2 3/4" slugs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:46 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks. Good advice, since the fully rifled barrel i was looking at just got a bid of $292 (including $12 shipping). It may even go higher since theres a half hour left to bid. Prices have skyrocketed. About 5 years ago i picked up a 1951 12 ga Wingmaster with a 30" full barrel in very nice condition for $250.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:13 pm 
Field Grade

Wow, that rifled slug barrel sold for $305 + $12 shipping! $317 for just a barrel.