ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smaller is better
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:54 pm 
Field Grade

I left the trap & skeet club today smiling while pondering the counterintuitive notion that my scores are inversely related to both the size and cost of the guns I'm shooting. In no particular order, I shot my Fabarm XLR5 (30"), Browning CXS 12 ga. 30", Browning 725 (28 ga. 32"), and my Benelli Ethos 28 ga. 26". I think I'll pick up an Ethos in 20 ga. just for shi** & grins. :D

Post subject: Re: Smaller is better
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:10 am 
Diamond Grade

I have noticed the same thing pretty much. The longer guns don't help me unless I am shooting from the hip. That longer pointer does help me there. I had a 32 inch SKB trap gun, that was like the "pig on a shovel". I could do no better at trap with it than any number of shorter guns. I don't shoot trap much anyway, so I had the chokes opened up to imp/cyl and skeet 2. The gun was now a short range gun, but still unable to use it well at the short clay stuff, like skeet or sporting. I tried selling it, for awhile, the only offers I could get were not even worth having to pack the thing and ship, so I had a totally worthless piece of crap. Since I couldn't shoot it or sell it, I thought, might as well try to make it usable. I figured I would cut it off little by little until it got to the point that I could use it. First cut, I removed 2_1/2 inches.

The cut off section was a quarter of a pound. and it felt pretty good. It had now become a permanent skeet gun. Now the barrel is 29 1/2 inch, and I figured I would try it, and if still too heavy and slow, I would take the next cut down to about 28 and keep that up until it felt good.

So I tried it out at with that quarter of a pound taken off the muzzle. It was now very usable. I shoot everything low gun, so at skeet the gun has to handle pretty fast, especially at station 8 starting with the gun at the hip. It worked. Now the gun was fast enough even there, and it worked very well at all the other stations too. Now a dedicated skeet gun it is pretty pleasant and accurate. I suspect if I took it to 28 inches it would be better yet, but you can't put the metal back on once you take it off, and it now works really well, so I stopped there.

It is not the most accurate of my guns though. The one I shoot better than any other has 25 inch barrels, a Rem M3200 with custom barrels on it with choke tubes. That gun is like radar controlled, at anything I do with it, skeet, trap, sporting, whatever. The cut off SKB comes pretty close for skeet, but is not quite as good.

I have a 30 inch SKB 85tss, and it is okay, but the barrels are fatter/heavier than the 29 1/2 inch skeet gun, and it handles slower. 30 inch skb shoots good enough it does not irritate me but not as good as the lighter 29 1/2 cut-off, and not as good as the 25 inch M3200.

I can shoot more length with an auto or pump, because the weight does not take them up to the usable area for me. I have a 24 barrel Mossberg compact, that shoots just hunky dory at everything, It is weighted down a little by putting a heavier stock and forend on it. All in all, an auto that goes about 8 pounds with a 26 or 28 barrel works pretty good, but they are much less barrel heavy than that 32 inch skb or even the 30 inch skb is.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:57 am 
Tournament Grade

I took my 30" Zoli Kronos and my 28" Blaser F16 out to shoot a round of trap the other day. Started in a low mount for both and shot the Blaser better.

I am more of a bird shooter than a clay shooter, so guessing I am just use to a light / fast handling gun :?: :!: :?: :!:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:16 am 
Presentation Grade

Opinions obviously vary a lot, but I've never had much luck with long guns. My best outings at skeet and sporting clays have been with short barreled S/As.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:20 am 
Diamond Grade

I dunno, as long as the gun is balanced I don't too worked up over barrel length.
I have O/U's with 28-30-32 and 34" barrels on them, they all get the job done if I poke the barrel out in front of the target and keep my head on the stock.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:24 am 
Diamond Grade

Gentlemen,

In the SSM there was a nice article about the actual barrel lengths and Grouse hunters thinking they maybe under gunned while hunting. Good article on how little the actual barrel length changes the FPS on any shotgun while Grouse hunting. In reality it's so little that while Grouse hunting, it really does not matter what barrel length you are actually using. I like a well balanced gun, maybe even slightly barrel heavy for the swing I am use to, when Grouse & Woodcock hunting. My L.C. Smith guns no matter the barrel length all pretty much carry and swing the way I want them too.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

1913 L.C. Smith 16 gauge Hammer Gun with 28" Barrels, works real well with RST 1 Oz SpredR shells.

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:26 pm 
Field Grade

I shoot my dads 30” 70s vintage 870 pretty well, but he has never wanted to sell it, so i have bought (and sold) a handful of 870s and barrels to find out that with the exception of thta particular gun i shoot shorter guns beter, although the stock fit is probably what is doing it. I have a 26” 870 and 28” citori i like, and i just picked up a franchi affinity and went 26” as well. In a duck or turkey blind a bit shorter gun is a godsend.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:51 am 
Tournament Grade

I remember when nearly all the "serious" skeet shooters were using guns with 26" barrels. Gads, am I THAT old?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:00 am 
Diamond Grade

I find that I do shoot the clay games better with a longer barrel. The extra weight out front seems to help me continue my "swing through." I'm now shooting a Beretta A-400 with a 30" barrel and an added clamp-on barrel weight. Many shooters, me included, have a tendency to stop swinging just as we prepare to pull the trigger.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:11 am 
Tournament Grade

gold40 wrote:
I find that I do shoot the clay games better with a longer barrel. The extra weight out front seems to help me continue my "swing through." I'm now shooting a Beretta A-400 with a 30" barrel and an added clamp-on barrel weight. Many shooters, me included, have a tendency to stop swinging just as we prepare to pull the trigger.

Here's what I cannot figure out about myself. I know I have that tendency to stop swinging, but I still shoot the shorter barrels better lol :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:23 am 
Presentation Grade

jmacgreg wrote:
I remember when nearly all the "serious" skeet shooters were using guns with 26" barrels. Gads, am I THAT old?

Possibly my best skeet gun is an 1100 with a 25" factory skeet barrel. It's what you're used to and what you can talk yourself into, but I find I'm more comfortable with a shorter barrel and a little more weight in the stock.