ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: skeet hold
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:39 pm 
Utility Grade

Just started shooting skeet and am puzzled on the hold points. Have searched the foroums and mostly found guys having"words" about this or that. My problem is on station 2. I miss the high house a lot.... What is a good hold point to start at. Thanks for your help. dave

Post subject: Re: skeet hold
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

goofygoober wrote:
Just started shooting skeet and am puzzled on the hold points. Have searched the foroums and mostly found guys having"words" about this or that. My problem is on station 2. I miss the high house a lot.... What is a good hold point to start at. Thanks for your help. dave

A common mistake on High 2 is looking at the window. Move your LOOK point out a bit so the bird doesn't seem so fast when you first pick it up. Hold point should be about 1/3-1/2 way between the house and the center.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:13 pm 
Field Grade

I hold about parallel to the house, the look back with my eyes about half way to the house while still being able to see the flash of the bird leave the window. As a training aide for new shooters the guys at my club set visual aids 7 yards from each house towards center stake. Then you use that as your hold points.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:15 pm 
Crown Grade

As you age and slow down, you'll likely have to hold farther out. The purpose of the look point and hold point are to allow you to visually acquire the target and move the gun about 6 inches in front of the clay target and break it before the center stake so you can pick up the second target on the station 2 doubles. Many shooters cheat a bit and rely on an immediate target on their pull call to make the shot, but become completely discombobulated by a late pull. The advice above is a good starting point, but if you are getting beaten consistently by the target, hold a bit farther out. Also remember that every target arrives at the center stake with the same amount of time to make the shot no matter what station you're shooting from. High two and low six just seem to require rushing the shot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I shoot it the wrong way. I look at the window and then pass the bird from behind and pull the trigger when I pass it. I seldom miss. Bender says “never let the bird get in front of the gun”, and he is the expert.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:42 pm 
Limited Edition

I start low gun, but keep the barrels pointed about at the halfway mark before I call for the bird.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:45 pm 
Field Grade

casonet wrote:
I shoot it the wrong way. I look at the window and then pass the bird from behind and pull the trigger when I pass it. I seldom miss. Bender says “never let the bird get in front of the gun”, and he is the expert.

pull/pass through is a vaild method of breaking birds nothing wrong doing it this way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:46 pm 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:

I use that method for sporting most of the time, so I also use it on the sleet field with success; use what works; there is more than one way to shoot clay targets

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oh yeah, forgot to say that I shoot everything low gun including doubles on station 8. It probably costs me a bird or two per game

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:59 am 
Presentation Grade

casonet wrote:
Oh yeah, forgot to say that I shoot everything low gun including doubles on station 8. It probably costs me a bird or two per game

I find it hard to believe that your club allows you to shoot doubles on #8, not safe....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:25 am 
Crown Grade

Folks do it all the time; how is not safe?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:30 am 
Crown Grade

Bailey Boat wrote:
casonet wrote:

I find it hard to believe that your club allows you to shoot doubles on #8, not safe....

Shooting the incomer on the first shot and outgoing overhead on the second is safe. If the second bird is taken going away the muzzle will stay pointed down range for both shots.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bailey Boat wrote:
casonet wrote:

One of the clubs I shoot at has one field set up for wobble. On that range you shoot three shots at station 8. One high house single, and a double, with the first shot at the low house bird. You don't turn around. You "wait" for the high house to come overhead.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It’s completely safe, otherwise we would not shoot it. The club belongs to us. We set our own rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:05 am 
Utility Grade

Good advice above
Look up Shot Kam skeet shooting on line
There are 8 short YouTube segments, one for each station, hold points, leads and general advice. Will give you good place to start.

Best tips I've always gotten has been from another shooter on the field.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

IMO the standard hold position on 2H is pointing your shotgun 90 degrees to the flight of the target. Generally, the left front corner of the pad will point to my hold point. I also try not to let the target get past my shotgun and move my gun at the flash of the target. This hold point should be adjusted out if the target gets in front of your shotgun. This hold point can be moved in a bit if your reflexes are real good and you like getting a look at the target when it comes out the window.

At our club some like to shoot doubles on Sta 8 and we've had no safety issues nor can I identify any potential problems. For me, it's just not that challenging. If you want a challenge, try shooting reverse report pairs on Sta 8, whereby you face the house as you normally would and shoot the target coming from your back, after it passes you, first and then shoot the incomer as you normally would which is launched on report. You need some quick reflexes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:49 pm 
Limited Edition

oneounceload wrote:
Folks do it all the time; how is not safe?

Great question. No less safe than any sporting clays course with an incoming bird and an over the head from behind bird.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

1/3 from the house is a good starting point for a hold point on ALL targets. Set out a stack of pigeons 21 feet from the house, and there's your hold point. Adjust from there.

Eyes can be anywhere from halfway back to in the window, depends on the station and your reflexes. If you are getting smoked by the bird move your eyes out, if you feel like you're waiting a long time, move your eyes in.

Barrel needs to be below the flightpath of the target.

Don't move the barrel until you see the target.

In a nutshell that's about 80% of what you'd get out of a paid lesson as a newbie shooter.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:36 am 
Diamond Grade

casonet wrote:
Bender says “never let the bird get in front of the gun”, and he is the expert.

There is a a British shooter who says "let the bird pass and come from behind, and pull the trigger as you pass the target". What is that guys name, is he an expert? He is kind of a heavy guy, I think the name is George Digweed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:46 am 
Diamond Grade

Okay, listen up kids. the problem is he is having trouble shooting station 2
high house.

Most of these targets are missed above. The shooter shoots over the target.

Why? Because, from the shooters perspective he is shooting a descending target
and he is only leading in front to the right. He needs to have some lead also
below the target, remember it is descending.

Everyone one knows you have to shoot below station one high house.
In fact though, station two is not that much different. The bird is still coming
out from way above you, traveling almost horizantal, and from the
shooter viewpoint, from below it is actually declining just like station
one is.

The correct lead is not at 3 O'clock.
It is at 4 O'clock, in front and below.

Most shooters also take their hold too close to the house.
Hold point is about half way from house to center peg.

Then lead in front and BELOW, or you will miss above.