Shotgun Forum banner

Any more availability of shells in your area?

32K views 242 replies 94 participants last post by  noweil 
#1 ·
Just curious.... I'm not seeing much change in the availability of shells...my club has them, but is only selling 5 boxes for 100 clays. I totally understand....

My local Walmart and other big box stores haven't had any increase at all... The local Walmart gets in a small random order each week and it's usually gone in a day..(according to their employees..).

JML

#2 ·
No change and my local Walmart stores are policed every morning at 7 AM by the "resellers" according to an employee in the Sporting Goods section I know. A friend found some of the 100 packs in 20 gauge I wanted at a Walmart in SE FL.

Starting to cut back on my shooting now to once or at most twice a month.

#6 ·

And that is the really bad part of this shell problem.

Now we have stores that only allow 1 box per buyer. They know nothing about shooting anything.

When I practice I shoot between 175 and 200. There are times when I do this twice a week.

Many of the shoots in Western Pa are 200 targets. One shoot has 100 report, 100 true, and 50 5 stand and the shoot is 2 days at a time.

Not only will shooters cut back on shooting but the worse part is we will lose a lot of shooters.

Shooters are going to stop doing something they really like.

#7 ·
KRIEGHOFFK80 said:

And that is the really bad part of this shell problem.

Now we have stores that only allow 1 box per buyer. They know nothing about shooting anything.

When I practice I shoot between 175 and 200. There are times when I do this twice a week.

Many of the shoots in Western Pa are 200 targets. One shoot has 100 report, 100 true, and 50 5 stand and the shoot is 2 days at a time.

Not only will shooters cut back on shooting but the worse part is we will lose a lot of shooters.

Shooters are going to stop doing something they really like.
I already have. What shells I have I'm saving for the field, and they are mostly target loads.

#11 ·
A member?/guy walked into the gun club yesterday. In short, he walked into his Walmart, had 4 pack of 12 gauge, $22 and change, said he bought $1900.00 worth.
He said, they were not premium shells like, AA, STS, so assuming Win, or Estate, so great for skeet or even 5 stand at our range.
That's all I know. Area was hiway 280 in Ala, Walmart.

#12 ·
ALL of the Walmarts here have completely stopped selling any guns or any ammo. They were my preferred source for Remington Nitro Gold

#13 ·
railroad said:
A member?/guy walked into the gun club yesterday. In short, he walked into his Walmart, had 4 pack of 12 gauge, $22 and change, said he bought $1900.00 worth.
He said, they were not premium shells like, AA, STS, so assuming Win, or Estate, so great for skeet or even 5 stand at our range.
That's all I know. Area was hiway 280 in Ala, Walmart.
In these times, it's hard to believe one Walmart had 80 4-packs ($1900 worth) in stock to sell all at once. But if he did, this is why Walmart should limit 4 pack sales. That Walmart and all the local shooters may not see shells again for a month. I know people hoard, but you got to hate when they brag about it.

#14 ·
CA Bay Area here, big sporting goods places are wiped out.

One trap club has Estates, but I only bought what I needed to shoot a few rounds.

One SC place has some Winchester steel target loads.

One SC place has a $100k order in and something like $60k was already prepaid for.

#16 ·
Oyeme wrote: "No change and my local Walmart stores are policed every morning at 7 AM by the "resellers" according to an employee in the Sporting Goods section I know."
I have thought this for some time....in todays world with cell phones and texting it would be No problem to "tip" people off when ammo comes in, then when it gets re-sold everybody would be happy. I have worked in retail My whole life and I many times have seen employees terminated for theft. before the cameras were in every store it was common for Big $$$ boxes of meat or cigarettes to go out the back door. the camera systems have cut back on the back door theft.

#19 ·
Halwg said:
Yes

This one guy took all the shells that dozens of others could have had some themselves. It is just selfish. $1900 worth at $22 a box is roughly 86 boxes. Four boxes a person would be roughly 22 people that get to shoot a morning at the range instead of this one guy.

I am not trying to get in an internet argument with you but this is why nothing is there every time people go to buy some. Exact same thing with toilet paper last spring.

#22 ·
Specklebelly said:
Halwg said:
Yes

This one guy took all the shells that dozens of others could have had some themselves. It is just selfish. $1900 worth at $22 a box is roughly 86 boxes. Four boxes a person would be roughly 22 people that get to shoot a morning at the range instead of this one guy.

I am not trying to get in an internet argument with you but this is why nothing is there every time people go to buy some. Exact same thing with toilet paper last spring.
{hs#

#24 ·
I haven't even bothered to look at all in the past year, what's the point?
When CA decided to require a background check for ammo purchases, I started reloading again.
I'm glad I stocked up on components when i could.
There was a night shoot last night, our group had the course nearly all to ourselves, we all reload.

Sad state of affairs right now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.