ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Briley 360 click
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:46 am 
Tournament Grade

Anyone have experience with this type choke set up? I played with it down at the Grand American last summer. You could put in or take out a choke with about 2/3 to 3/4 of a full turn, all by hand. They click as they stop.

Just interested if anyone has used them in the real world and what they think of the system.

Thanks, Doc

Post subject: Re: Briley 360 click
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gimmick!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Doc--nothing new under the Sun in the world of chokes. I recall 20 yrs ago when a rifled choke was the hottest thing ever (you know , since sliced bread) and the gun writers were all saying all choke everywhere will be rifled. Today , nothing.

I have learned about various gimmicks by getting them and seeing them fail to do anything new. So you MIGHT be able to gather something ??? Maybe.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:37 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Yes Pete,

I remember this type of choke. I believe they were also called Jug Chokes, at least that is what my memory tells me. As far as the rifled tubes, I felt they didn't pattern worth a plug nickel. As a longtime trap shooter, many of us would have our bores polished to remove the tooling marks when the barrel was turned or reamed out. I did see a much better pattern from doing this. I even did this to a few of my early sporting guns. Again as far a the rifled tubes, they would spin the wad and create a lot of flyers and holes in the pattern. It seems that I remember of one company that marketed these as a spreader choke. There will always be new things that come out and guarantee this or that and will improve your shooting. Not because I am a coach but the two things in my mind that will improve a shooter is after they have shot their gun for a while and developed a good solid mount, is a good gun fit by a knowledgeable professional plus a good coach. they will help you a lot. I always thought Danny Carlisle and Wendell Cherry were two of the best.

Mike McAlpine

By the way, my definition of a gun that truly fits is the gun goes up easy, shoots where you look and doesn't hurt you. To me, it is as simple as that. Okay gun fitters, what is your definition? {hs#

Another thing concerning the click choke, while I have never seen these, my thought is they might speed up the changing of a choke change. As long as the turn id enough to lock the tube tight, it MIGHT be something to look at. And maybe NOT.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:43 pm 
Crown Grade

The concept has nothing to do with constriction but just a quicker way to change the tube from say Lm to IM or SK to M.....If you do change chokes frequently it might be something you would get some benefit from by making the process quicker and easier.

Briley does a good job with the products they offer and stand behind them. If you liked the concept and the way they worked when you checked them out, I suspect that they will function like that in the real world too.

I have no experience with the product. If you decide to try them out, share the experience.

Beretta A400 20 Gauge

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:52 pm 
Limited Edition

pete blakeley wrote:
And many years ago the Russian skeet team came up with the "tulip" choke that was shaped as the name suggests. The shot would travel up the barrels, open out and then be compressed again which distorted the pellets to give a huge spread. Orvis came out with the cuboid shot for quail hunting. Huge pattern, at the expense of crippled birds. Nothing new I'm afraid.

Did you mean to say Tula choke?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:47 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Yes, I too thought it was Tula choke but it has been a while since I thought about them. I really never understood the concept of this design but I really never thought of it much either. Do you think this type of choke will increase the deformation of the shot? Also is this the same thing as a jug choke. Like I said, I haven't thought much about these chokes in years. I am not much of a gadget or gimmick man. I tend to use what I know works best for me.

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

benefit from by making the process quicker and easier.

Screw one out screw one in. How hard can it be? :lol:

I think this Briley choke thing is just something to get peoples money. IMO

I think I have learned that chokes really don't change much from choke maker to choke maker. It is all in what people think and like.

The biggest thing in chokes is that the Mullers are easiest to clean. :)

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:12 am 
Crown Grade

Mike McAlpine wrote:
Yes, I too thought it was Tula choke but it has been a while since I thought about them. I really never understood the concept of this design but I really never thought of it much either. Do you think this type of choke will increase the deformation of the shot? Also is this the same thing as a jug choke. Like I said, I haven't thought much about these chokes in years. I am not much of a gadget or gimmick man. I tend to use what I know works best for me.

Mike McAlpine

If my memory serves me correctly, the Tula choke that the Russians used was designed to work with card fiber wads like the T123 shotshells that Federal loaded for US Olympic Team and may have been developed after seeing the Cutts used on our team members.

The whole story on the Tula choke development is quite interesting and Bruce Buck provides it below. FWIW, the first Perazzi Mirage shotguns in this country for skeet, had a version of the Tula choke configuration. I shot with a friend who used one for years.

https://shotgunreport.com/2014/06/04/tu ... d-version/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:20 am 
Diamond Grade

The click thing seems like a smart idea. Not for me, but I can see it being handy for folks who like to change a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:54 am 
Crown Grade

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:
benefit from by making the process quicker and easier.

I think I have learned that chokes really don't change much from choke maker to choke maker. It is all in what people think and like.

The biggest thing in chokes is that the Mullers are easiest to clean. :)

I agree with you terry. My only point to that is if a shooter is one that does change chokes frequently the briley system would possibly make some sense. I have moved past frequent changes myself for better or worse some days.

Also though I admit over the years there have been things I saw I wanted to try and did evoif it was frivolous. Muller chokes were one for me. I think I was the first shooter in New England to try them and it turned out that I really liked the product and have them in all my volume guns. They are also the most common chokes I see in the ends of barrels most places I shoot.

I think you have done the same thing over the years with some products and not a thing wrong with that. Part of the fun.

Beretta A400 20 Gauge

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I tried the new Brain Chokes last year.

I have a C2 in the lower barrel and a C3 in my upper barrel.

They have been there for a long to time.

They just are to harder to clean than the Mullers.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:20 am 
Crown Grade

pete blakeley wrote:
And many years ago the Russian skeet team came up with the "tulip" choke that was shaped as the name suggests.

Classic.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:05 am 
Diamond Grade

Except for the appearance, they seem to work the same as the polychoke. Polychokes were usually
permanently installed on a fixed choke barrel, but they did make one that would screw onto a threaded
barrel. By all accounts the polychoke threw pretty good patterns.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:41 am 
Limited Edition

dickgtax wrote:
Except for the appearance, they seem to work the same as the polychoke. Polychokes were usually
permanently installed on a fixed choke barrel, but they did make one that would screw onto a threaded
barrel. By all accounts the polychoke threw pretty good patterns.

Dickgtax,
Not at all similar. The poly chokes constriction can be changed by screwing it either tighter or more open. The Briley 360 merely makes changing chokes quicker and easier. They apparently have an adapter and then whatever your choice of constriction choke.
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:54 am 
Crown Grade

Dpe2002,

Both of your posts on this thread are very good, and address the point perfectly. Good job.

As far as chokes, I think that a lot to do with picking “which brand” has to do with cosmetics. I’ve shot the same gun(s) since 1997, and like you, I’ve come to a point of not changing my chokes very much any more. But I do find myself getting caught up in the cosmetics of which brand and system looks cooler — and which are lighter in weight.

I’ve gotten to know one of the guys at Briley, and he has repeated told me the best deal on chokes is their all silver extended one — which happens to be their least expensive. They all pattern just about the same. Can’t tell one from another. I tend to believe that, and currently have 5 or 6 different choke systems to satisfy my choke mood swings. I tend to use the lightest weigh ones the most.

But I don’t change them while shooting as much anymore. And almost never when practicing. And I’ve stayed with the same gun for 24 years now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:07 am 
Limited Edition

[quote="KRIEGHOFFK80"]benefit from by making the process quicker and easier.

The biggest thing in chokes is that the Mullers are easiest to clean. :)[/

Aftermarket chokes have always been about getting peoples money. Including your easy to clean Mullers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:10 am 
Limited Edition

Most businesses are about ‘getting peoples money’. It’s not a bad thing, especially when we’re talking about toys and hobbies:-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:38 am 
Crown Grade

Despite the very esteemed opinion of many folks on this forum, there are still a lot of folks that change chokes during a shoot. I'm not saying it's the best idea, but those folks do exist in fairly large numbers.

One of the complaints about changing chokes is that it becomes a distraction. Briley took that information and designed a system to make changing chokes faster and easier. That is not a marketing scam, but a response to customer feedback. They do work and the chokes are high quality Briley chokes. I'm not interested in the system, but I too am curious about how they are actually working on a longer term basis. Since we haven't heard a response to the OP, I would assume no one on here has purchased them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:20 am 
Crown Grade

drawdc wrote:
Despite the very esteemed opinion of many folks on this forum, there are still a lot of folks that change chokes during a shoot. I'm not saying it's the best idea, but those folks do exist in fairly large numbers.

I don’t think anyone here denies that there’s a lot of “choke changers” out there. The comments here, including mine, were about their personal habits with chokes. That’s the way I read them, anyway.

I agree with the rest of your post. Very well put.