ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning forearm won't latch
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:01 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a brownie 625 and forearm goes on and fits receiver and is snug against barrel but will not latch down? Buddy and I have cleaned and recleaned but can't find a thing? Not sure what we are missing? Between us we have four Browning o/u 's but have not had this problem.

Post subject: Re: Browning forearm won't latch
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:36 am 
Diamond Grade

Put a light smear of grease on the front and rear of the barrel lug.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:55 am 
Tournament Grade

railroad wrote:
Put a light smear of grease on the front and rear of the barrel lug.

I did but no luck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:33 am 
Diamond Grade

Does the latch seem too tight to close?
Make sure the mating surface of the barrel and wood is clean, no lint, debris, etc.
Did you tighten the forearm hardware screws, while off the gun?
This might have created a too tight clearance issue.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Moffett wrote:
I have a brownie 625 and forearm goes on and fits receiver and is snug against barrel but will not latch down? Buddy and I have cleaned and recleaned but can't find a thing? Not sure what we are missing? Between us we have four Browning o/u 's but have not had this problem.

Make sure that the forend hardware screws are snugged down (but not too tight) and make sure there is a small dab of grease on the forward edge of the lug that the forend latches onto. It's this forward edge of the lug that the "hook" in the forend passes over and hooks to.

Sometimes it may help (after putting the forend in place) to LIGHTLY squeeze the forend wood onto the barrels with one hand while you press in on the forend lever with the other hand. Do not use EXCESSIVE force.

Unless this is a new (never used) gun, the above instructions should work. However, if the gun has gotten wet recently or is extremely hot (metal expands), it might be harder to do. If these instructions don't work, then you might very lightly sand a slight bit of metal off the forward edge of that barrel lug that the "hook" goes over. Generally, just a slight amount of rubbing with a fine grit paper will do the job. Maintain the same rounded contour. After the sanding, clean it off and apply a dab of grease. Oil will work well also once the gun is broken in.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

railroad wrote:
Does the latch seem too tight to close?
Make sure the mating surface of the barrel and wood is clean, no lint, debris, etc.
Did you tighten the forearm hardware screws, while off the gun?
This might have created a too tight clearance issue.

The latch is to tite to close, I did snug the screws up . How loose should they be?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ulysses wrote:
Moffett wrote:

Make sure that the forend hardware screws are snugged down (but not too tight) and make sure there is a small dab of grease on the forward edge of the lug that the forend latches onto. It's this forward edge of the lug that the "hook" in the forend passes over and hooks to.

Sometimes it may help (after putting the forend in place) to LIGHTLY squeeze the forend wood onto the barrels with one hand while you press in on the forend lever with the other hand. Do not use EXCESSIVE force.

Unless this is a new (never used) gun, the above instructions should work. However, if the gun has gotten wet recently or is extremely hot (metal expands), it might be harder to do. If these instructions don't work, then you might very lightly sand a slight bit of metal off the forward edge of that barrel lug that the "hook" goes over. Generally, just a slight amount of rubbing with a fine grit paper will do the job. Maintain the same rounded contour. After the sanding, clean it off and apply a dab of grease. Oil will work well also once the gun is broken in.
Okay thanks I will try that

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

Try removing forearm wood from iron. If the bare iron will latch there is a wood interference

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:19 am 
Diamond Grade

Sounds like you did nothing wrong, just a snug fitting forearm. Hopefully you have not removed any metal from your barrel lug yet.
I have had forearm wood that was too tight on the barrels. This will eventually rub the bluing from the barrel. To correct this, I scrape the wood, inside the forearm with a blade. Once relieved the forearm should latch should hold good, with screws still tight and no bluing wear.
Let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The OP stated in his first post that the "forearm goes on and fits receiver and is snug against barrel but will not latch down."

If his statement is correct that the wood is snug against the barrel (as it should be), it isn't going to get any "snugger" regardless how much scraping or sanding that he might do to the wood. All that is likely to accomplish is a wobbly forend.

The OP's Browning is a mass produced gun, and it's quite common for many of them to have latching difficulty and/or opening/closing difficulty. We read posts on here all the time about people not being able to open/close their guns without breaking them over their knee and not being to install the forend piece easily after removing it for cleaning.

When that happens, a person basically has two choices. Either they can continue to struggle with the gun for many thousands of openings and closings and disassemblies, or they can take some modest, prudent steps to fix the problems that inevitably occur with mass produced products and tolerances problems.

It's far better, IMO, if the wood is already snug against the barrels, to simply relieve the front radius of that latching lug VERY SLIGHTLY so that the forend can latch properly and without too much force which MIGHT result in splitting the forend wood. No one wants a gun that they have to use inordinate force to open/close or install the forend on. And they certainly don't want a gun with a wobbly forend.

A slight mark or line in the bluing on the barrels where the forend fits snugly is simply a sign that the gun has been used and that the forend is a good snug fit. That mark is not visible when the gun is assembled and will likely occur whether the forend is snug or wobbly.

My thinking is that a gun should be easy to use and not difficult for basic, routine actions involved in operating the gun or disassembling into its major components. If it is difficult to use or assemble, that takes a lot of joy out of the use and ownership of that gun. The good news is that many of these typical "tolerance" problems are solvable by the gun owner with a bit of patience, slight effort, and understanding of the problem.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:20 pm 
Limited Edition

My 725 forend is still tight after thousands of rounds...I get the iron in and down where it will seat, rotate the wood up until it stops, and then tap it at the top with the bottom of my hand. Once it seats fully, the latch goes in easily.