ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg International - SA-20 - Review + Pics
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:43 am 
Tournament Grade

Location: Lincoln, Nebraska My hometown, but I'll move later...
Thanks Smitty,
When I take my thrower out I like to load the SA up and just shoot till it's empty. That will make life easier. Thanks again, Tony

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:54 pm 
Utility Grade

This is a great thread about this little gun. I bought one for my 11 years old son last Christmas, and will share my impressions.

Like the original poster, came packaged very well, easy to assemble, field strip, clean, etc.

My son has used it only for shooting clays so far - no hunting yet. He joined the clubs junior tournament team and has been using it for skeet, trap and sporting clays. I did buy Carlson extended choke tubes for it.

Early on, as mentioned by others, the gun would not reliably cycle anything under 1oz loads. I took a brass brush on a shaft that fit into the barrel, put it in a high speed drill, and worked the chamber pretty good, then cleaned it up nice. Since then we have not had any major issues with 7/8 oz loads. He has shot around 1,500 rounds of 7/8 oz Rio's and maybe 1 in 200 doesn't cycle.

I have run into an issue though, which I also want to share. This gun does like to be clean. We let it go a bit too long, and with the last field strip I broke the action spring. There was a lot of carbon built up under the piston, and the spring caught on it. When I tried to push it off, the last 1 1/2 inches of spring snapped off.

This spring had become very brittle, and could be easiliy snapped again. It appears to me to have been made from very cheap, poor quality metal. Please be careful with yours.

Also, having a hard time so far finding a replacement.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ecribbs wrote:
This is a great thread about this little gun. I bought one for my 11 years old son last Christmas, and will share my impressions.

Like the original poster, came packaged very well, easy to assemble, field strip, clean, etc.

My son has used it only for shooting clays so far - no hunting yet. He joined the clubs junior tournament team and has been using it for skeet, trap and sporting clays. I did buy Carlson extended choke tubes for it.

Early on, as mentioned by others, the gun would not reliably cycle anything under 1oz loads. I took a brass brush on a shaft that fit into the barrel, put it in a high speed drill, and worked the chamber pretty good, then cleaned it up nice. Since then we have not had any major issues with 7/8 oz loads. He has shot around 1,500 rounds of 7/8 oz Rio's and maybe 1 in 200 doesn't cycle.

I have run into an issue though, which I also want to share. This gun does like to be clean. We let it go a bit too long, and with the last field strip I broke the action spring. There was a lot of carbon built up under the piston, and the spring caught on it. When I tried to push it off, the last 1 1/2 inches of spring snapped off.

This spring had become very brittle, and could be easiliy snapped again. It appears to me to have been made from very cheap, poor quality metal. Please be careful with yours.

Also, having a hard time so far finding a replacement.
Have you called Mossberg about the spring? Your gun should still be under warranty and they will get the spring to you for free.

I have let my SA-20 get pretty dirty but have never experienced what you described.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:47 pm 
Utility Grade

How do barrels compare bertween the sa-08 and sa-20? Anyone know?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:17 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

jjh9355 wrote:
How do barrels compare bertween the sa-08 and sa-20? Anyone know?

They don't: different manufacturers.

http://randywakeman.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13