ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Shotgun CZ sporter or Remington 1100 competition
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey Folks,
Just shot a few rounds of Sporting clays with a rental gun, and want to pickup something for myself. Im an avid pistol shooter (USPSA) and want to add a bit of clay shooting. Probably a mix of trap, sporting and skeet, at my local ranges. Trying to keep the first purchase to 1000$. I will likely shoot it once per month or so.
I have narrowed it down to 2.5 guns.... the Remington 1100 competition synthetic, or a CZ sporter/ sporter g2. All can be had for just around 1k. I like the adjustability of either, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: First Shotgun CZ sporter or Remington 1100 competition
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:22 pm 
Limited Edition

I had a 1100 Competition Synthetic for a few years and shot it well. Sold it to a friend last year. Never could shoot it as well a my Tristar G2 Sporting. I still have the G2 and it is one of my loaner guns and is the most reliable SA's that I have ever owed. It doesn't matter what shell you run through it it just keeps on working. I don't know how many rounds it will go before it needs a good cleaning. Mine has never failed to feed or fire with the cheapest shells I could find. With that said for the money you are wanting to spend my choice would be the G2 or a Beretta A300 which I also have.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Could also look at used Beretta 390/391 for about the price of your budget as well.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:05 pm 
Limited Edition

oneounceload wrote:
Could also look at used Beretta 390/391 for about the price of your budget as well.

I agree. That would be a great option!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Am I better going semi auto or o/u

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:42 pm 
Field Grade

There's a bit of handling difference between the SA and the OU (weight / balance / forearms). Both platforms absolutely work well, but people tend to like one over the other.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:51 pm 
Field Grade

I like my SAs.... I love my OUs...

Why? Weight at barrels helps smooth my control, I prefer the "snap" recoil to the "kerchunka" bolt return, forearm not wobbly, spent hulls are easy to control, much easier to clean, much easier to see if unloaded (yourself and others), barrel obstruction checks take a millisecond, *usually* better triggers

Other peeps are different and the world is fine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:00 pm 
Field Grade

To be fair, SAs have 3rd shot (hunting) or 6/8+ capacity, lighter nose can make them very quick to shoot, felt recoil is generally less, easier to manufacture - much better price point.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:09 pm 
Utility Grade

I feel like I'm leaning towards a o/u, not for any particular reason other than they look cool... I have no aspirations to hunt, so strictly clays for me, a mix of trap at my local club or sporting clays. I've been to a few local shops (6 so far) and they all have either 500$ stoeger or 2k+ guns. Was trying to buy a used gun locally, but haven't had much luck. I can get a cz redhead local but no adjustable comb, and not the target version, found a few cz sporters on gun broker for about 1k. So leaning that general direction. I currently compete with a cz sp01 so would be keeping it in the family..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

thelaserman wrote:
I feel like I'm leaning towards a o/u, not for any particular reason other than they look cool... I have no aspirations to hunt, so strictly clays for me, a mix of trap at my local club or sporting clays. I've been to a few local shops (6 so far) and they all have either 500$ stoeger or 2k+ guns. Was trying to buy a used gun locally, but haven't had much luck. I can get a cz redhead local but no adjustable comb, and not the target version, found a few cz sporters on gun broker for about 1k. So leaning that general direction. I currently compete with a cz sp01 so would be keeping it in the family..

Just my 2 cents. If you already dig action pistol shooting, you're prolly gonna get hooked on clay shooting. So I'd look for a nice used Beretta SA and shoot the piss out of it, till you figure out what you really really really want.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:45 pm 
Crown Grade

For ME, to make my A400 handle more like my 32" O/U, I added several 2oz weights to the forearm cap; smoothed out the swing tremendously.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:28 am 
Crown Grade

If it's only between the 2, I would say the 1100 plus you have the 3rd. shot on live birds. I've owned the 1100 but not the CZ but for your budget, I would say a good used Beretta 391 Urika. I had 4, 391's and they are great shooters and the used ones are in your budget.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:00 am 
Utility Grade

I'll also check out the 391. Anything in particular I'm looking for?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:52 pm 
Crown Grade

thelaserman wrote:
I'll also check out the 391. Anything in particular I'm looking for?

Try and locate the Urika Gold in 30". It will serve you well on clays and live birds. No need for aftermarket chokes as the Beretta chokes are good. Run it wet except for the mag tube, gas piston and gas piston housing. Regret selling mine.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Is something older like the 391 better option then a new a300 sporting, looks to be around the same price

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:08 pm 
Crown Grade

thelaserman wrote:
Is something older like the 391 better option then a new a300 sporting, looks to be around the same price

Never owned or shot the A300. I see a few on the sporting clay courses and have not heard any derogatory remarks about it.

https://www.joeletchenguns.com/new-guns ... -outlander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

thelaserman wrote:
Hey Folks,
Just shot a few rounds of Sporting clays with a rental gun, and want to pickup something for myself. Im an avid pistol shooter (USPSA) and want to add a bit of clay shooting. Probably a mix of trap, sporting and skeet, at my local ranges. Trying to keep the first purchase to 1000$. I will likely shoot it once per month or so.
I have narrowed it down to 2.5 guns.... the Remington 1100 competition synthetic, or a CZ sporter/ sporter g2. All can be had for just around 1k. I like the adjustability of either, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If those are your two choices... nothing wrong with either if you ask me. If you are just starting and you are shooting once a month... pick the one that you can get in the best condition for the price.

One is a semi auto and one is an over/under, right? Unless you are referring to the Tristar G2 Sporting semi-auto. I got one of those I recently bought as a loaner/buddy gun. I got mine new and it takes a little while to break in.

Probably doesn't matter. both with break targets if you point them in the right direction.

Get a gun, go shooting!

Browning Citori 725 Sporting
Tristar Viper G2 Sporting
Tristar Sporting O/U (aka Turkish Junk)
MEC 9000 to reload

Post subject: First Shotgun CZ sporter or Remington 1100 competition
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bear in mind that REMINGTON is out of business and parts for the guns that they made are already becoming scarce and expensive

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:36 am 
Crown Grade

thelaserman wrote:
I currently compete with a cz sp01 so would be keeping it in the family..

They are not the same family. Your CZ SP01 is a high quality firearm manufactured by CZ.

CZ branded shotguns are mediocre firearms manufactured by Huglu in Turkey.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:49 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm pretty sure I have decided to go with an o/u and am increasing the budget a bit, hoping to find something in the 12-1500 range maybe a used cx?
Jesse